+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Again with the reading...

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default Again with the reading...

Here's what I've read recently and a short opinion:

The Autobiography of Malcom X: I had issues reading this book because it was really difficult for me to step out of my own head trip to really get into what he was going through. But, I'm glad I stuck it out and finished it. Towards the end of his life he went through such an astounding profound change it really touched me. He was cut down way too early that book should've been longer.

Baise Moi: An english translation of the book. I read about both the film and the novel and was expecting to be more shocked. I did enjoy it however. The two protagonists were the sort of girls I'd have probably known at their age. A quick and enjoyable read.

Planet Joe: A collection of journal entries from when Joe Cole (a friend of Henry Rollins who was murdered in 1991) while he was a roadie on tour with Black Flag then The Rollins Band. Very interesting as journals can be. He's a bit egocentric but, he did have an awareness of that and I enjoyed reading it.

Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers: I bought this because my friend Anthony Beal is featured in it. It's a very good solid and eclectic collection of short horror fiction. Some of the names I knew some I didn't. The second edition (my friend Anthony is in it again) is due out in three days I think and I'll be picking that one up as well.

That covers about the last month although I am forgetting a couple. I read something on gender that I can't recall the name of. I also tried rereading some Camille Paglia but I can only stand her writing in small bursts if at all.

Yer turn.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: Again with the reading...

I've been reading Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore lately. And honestly, its the first book I've picked up, and been able to consistantly read, for over 3 years. The book starts off in the UK and tells the story of Napalm Death, and a couple other bands. Over the next few chapters it works its way to the US, and then back to Europe to Sweden. I've only gotten about 3/4 way done, so I can't really tell you all about the book. I'm really digging it, and fans of the genres should probably pick it up too.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

hmm i finished the first book in "the fionavar tapestry" by guy gavriel kay, (have 2 more to read) very "lord of the rings" like fantasty... yet completely different. very good book.
    almost finished "perdido street station" by china mieville, very twisted and gory, i love it! (and btw i LOVE skintwisterman for telling me to read it... whered he get off to anyways? i think he fell in the sink... COME BACK!!!)
    and i started reading "shantaram" by gregory david roberts again. LOVE LOVE LOVE this book, my favorite one in the world... like... ever.
    seriously if i had the money i would buy every single one of you a copy!!!

Mother Superior

I have been reading "It's a Good Life" by Jerome Bixby. It's in a collection of sci-fi I have been browsing. Science Fiction has never been my cup of tea but I really enjoy the adaptation of it on Twilight Zone. Thought I'd give the actual story a chance. Also been re-reading Magical Diaries of Aleister Crowley Tunisia 1923. Looking for Gatsby by Faye Dunaway is also on the nightstand.

Mother Superior

I read Planet Joe about 10 years ago too Nudemuse. I enjoyed some of his thoughts.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Also been re-reading Magical Diaries of Aleister Crowley Tunisia 1923.

don't you just love the way he says "okay, one more snort of cocaine for the evening and then no more."

then he writes sixty pages of diary entries interspersed with "okay, JUST ONE MORE snort"s here and there.

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    don't you just love the way he says "okay, one more snort of cocaine for the evening and then no more."

then he writes sixty pages of diary entries interspersed with "okay, JUST ONE MORE snort"s here and there.
    It seems like he was always TRYING to keep things balanced and in moderation but never could. I identify with him so much. I think it was just part of his addictive nature. I think he also had a habit of telling himself he could not acheive something, then he would try,and succeed.He always tells himself he can't write hymns , then he writes hymns

July 27th 11:00 pm At least I have succeeded in getting normally decently honestly drunk.2 mandarins & half Champagne. Keep it up- tomorrow night's the night!

October 4 5:00 Can't sleep again: this is hellish.

June 16 Trance in a.m (due to Heroin abstinence?)

Nasty black magician writing curses in the loo- Cecil

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Last Summer:

Dostoyevsky: Crime and Punishment. Can a man obtain magnanimity by setting his own rules of moral conduct? Can he murder the "common man" without consequences? Dostoyevsky says no. This book is a multi-level narrative. Can be read as a statement on society or simply the protagonist.

Dostoyevsky: Demons. Will the decadence of Russian Bourgeois society lead to revolution? Will nihilism lead to a new Russia ? Or will it simply mock the petty intrigues it purports to rebel against? Demons is a brutal tome of an attempt to recreate society ... via destruction. (Foreshadows the brutality of of the USSR)
    Camus: The Myth of Sisyphus. Camus posits "There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide." Bereft of God, can the "absurd" man face the dilemmas of existence? Or will he reach its logical conclusion, suicide?

Camus: The Rebel. The rebel is a man who says no. But no to what? God? Society? Camus gives a historical survey of rebels from Byron to the social realists.

I can hardly do justice to any of these books. I strongly recommend all of them, however. You can reread these 4 books 100 times and always gain new insight.

This Year:

Why Marriage Matters: Evan Wolfson. Eye opening account of issues facing the gay community. Shocking but inspirational. In particular, it makes a powerful case for civil marriage.

Dominion: Matthew Scully. Former Bush speechwriter makes a powerful case that we have a duty to animals (you read that correctly) Absolutely must reading for anyone interested in animal rights.

A gazillion law tomes too dry to mention. Will be back when the days become short again. Looking forward to a bit of pleasure reading. May everyone have a good summer. Destiny awaits, my love.

OEC

BloodredProject2402's Avatar Senior Member

wizards first rule:not completley done with it but what ive read of it,it's pretty good if you like the "oh my god theres someone trying to kill me because i have something he want and hes trying to take over the world kind of books.

the halo (video game)books: i hate playing a video game and not know fully going on so i just read the book...it really makes you feel that you were there with him...

other than that not much that is note-worthy

I read The Divinci Code this weekend. I bought it at the airport bookstore as my flight was cancelled twice and I had to wait on another flight. It took me about 4.5 hours. It was okay. A little predictable, but it wasn't absolute crap.

I have also just got the new Dita Von Teese burlesque/fetish book as a gift. The pictures are absolutley gorgeous. The text is all little anectdotes, but it was amusing. I found it to be a nice diversion. I read avidly, mostly historical fiction and crime/thriller, so it's nice to have something a little less heavy now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Last Summer:

Camus: The Rebel. The rebel is a man who says no. But no to what? God? Society? Camus gives a historical survey of rebels from Byron to the social realists.

I can hardly do justice to any of these books. I strongly recommend all of them, however. You can reread these 4 books 100 times and always gain new insight.

OEC
    That is one of my favorite Camus books ever.

This last week or so I've read:
    Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three I've been aware of the case since it happened but hadn't yet read this book. To say it's an appalling story of just how much America hasn't changed would be an understatement. I seriously think for anyone living any sort of "alternative" lifestyle be it fashion wise or otherwise really needs to read this book. I think it should be taught in schools as a prime example of the Justice system gone entirely wrong.

One of the other books I can't find a link for. I think it was called "Who's Art is It Anyway?" or some such. It is a journalistic long essay about a controversial art installation in the Bronx. It raised a lot of interesting points about political correctness and hypocrisy not only in the art world but in the neighborhood where the art installation was. Good stuff.

I bought a copy of HIgh Risk: An Anthology of Forbidden Writings mainly because it has an essay in it by John Preston who is one of my literary idols. I was very pleasantly surprised. The book has a good array of essays, short fiction and poetry in it. This is a book I will come back to again and again.

Be Cool I love Elmore Leonard even though some of his newer stuff I don't enjoy as much. Even though this isn't Florida Noir, I still enjoyed it. I highly suggest his book Tishimongo Blues

I'm currently reading Roomanitarian by Rollins. I'll probably finish it tonight.

I think after that I'll give Camille Paglia another spin. I fucking hate a lot of how she writes but I am determined to finish the book without throwing it or setting it on fire out of annoyance.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

right now i'm reading Christ the Lord by Anne Rice cause i got it on loan from work. in line to read are The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, and House of Leaves by Mark D. Danielewski.
    I also finally got around to reading the Thorn Birds not too long ago, cause I was named after a character in that book and i always felt i had to read it.

There are so many things i'd like to read, but so little time.... workin in a bookstore doesn't help... hehe

Exiled

Tropic of Cancer: Some of the best prose i've ever read. Completely lewd. was surprised that this one wasn't on the recent thread about banned books; has everyone forgotten about Henry Miller?

Dream Brother: Biography of Tim and Jeff Buckley.

I just finished reading High Adventure in the Great Outdoors by Rollins. Very enjoyable. If you've read his newer stuff going back to the older ones gives you a very good view point of how his voice and style emerged.

I'm currently reading A Literate Passion: it's the collection of love letters between Anais Nin and Henry Miller. It's an amazing book.

Not sure what I'm reading next.

Mother Superior

I have been reading some forensic stuff by Dr. Michael Baden. I don't care for Fiction too often. He just finished writing a novel, I am kinda intrigued.

+ Reply to Thread