+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hangover cures

Mother Superior

Default Hangover cures

Since it's Friday and the weekend is among us. Do you have any hangover cures and or remedies you'd like to share that have worked for you in the past? I find If I drink a glass of cold water and eat a salad before I go to bed , I rarely get a hangover. Toast also works, soaking the alcohol up. Motrin (3) is good too prior to hitting the bed.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Hangover cures

Lots of sparkling water.

Two rails of coke and a shot of Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Since it's Friday and the weekend is among us. Do you have any hangover cures and or remedies you'd like to share that have worked for you in the past? I find If I drink a glass of cold water and eat a salad before I go to bed , I rarely get a hangover. Toast also works, soaking the alcohol up. Motrin (3) is good too prior to hitting the bed.

I do the same stuff. Except for the salad, I eat bar food instead.

I highly recommend a few aspirin and Airborne for the morning of the hangover. Airborne is an herbal and vitamin tablet you put in water like alka seltzer. It is designed for people who fly or are exposed to large crowd a lot to boost their immune systems. It works wonders for a hangover. Also, if it is a really bad hangover, I get a peanutbutter fudge milshake from Sonic. The milk is calming to the stomach, the chocolate causes your body to release endorphins, the sugar raises your blood sugar, and the protein in the peanutbutter keeps your blood sugar level. And of course, drink lots of water.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

hah people at my work swear that eating crazy bread the morning of the hangover will cure it.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

1. drink a large glass of water with a multi vitamin before bed. follow this up by drinking some kind of gatorade, or anything with electrolytes (possibly watered down) in the morning.
    2.Asprin. DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF CHRISTMAS IBUPROFEN OR ACETOMETOPHEN!!!!! (this means advil, tylenol, motrin, aleve, all that stuff) all that stuff except for asprin will turn toxic in your body and really fuck up your liver. No, I'm not fucking joking....
    3.eat something.
    4. there's another thing I'm going to try involving active charcoal tablets. I'll let you know how it goes........

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

One of theese usually works well for me.
    1. A joint or two
    2. Alka-Seltzer, orange juice, and a multivitamin
    3. a six pack of Guiness
    4. All of the Above

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    (this means advil, tylenol, motrin, aleve, all that stuff) all that stuff except for asprin will turn toxic in your body and really fuck up your liver. No, I'm not fucking joking....
    Actually Aleve is Naproxin Sodium which is safe.

Angel Slayer's Avatar guardian garroter

tea, 1/2 peppermint and 1/2 green. that's what all of us at the coffee shop i work at do (and more than half are usually hung over on any given day, so it's well-tested ).

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I find it's easiest to just to live with it, why stress about a regular occurrance?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

ive never had a hangover, Ive tried to get one, but for some reason my body is cool with lots of alchohol and toxins, it functions better that way....I think its cause I smoke so much weed, i swaer its built up an immunity for everything.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Since a hangover is at least partially caused by dehydration, I tend to drink a pint of water before I go to bed after drinking quite a lot. Go to the loo first, so your bladder is empty, then drink the water. This means that you won't be getting up in the middle of the night to relieve yourself.

Of course, you could try not drinking too much, so you don't risk a hangover in the first place.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    1. drink a large glass of water with a multi vitamin before bed. follow this up by drinking some kind of gatorade, or anything with electrolytes (possibly watered down) in the morning.
    2.Asprin. DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF CHRISTMAS IBUPROFEN OR ACETOMETOPHEN!!!!! (this means advil, tylenol, motrin, aleve, all that stuff) all that stuff except for asprin will turn toxic in your body and really fuck up your liver. No, I'm not fucking joking....
    3.eat something.
    4. there's another thing I'm going to try involving active charcoal tablets. I'll let you know how it goes........

You should only use charcoal if you have really poisoned the hell out of yourself because, along with the bad stuff, it also absorbs the vitamin food value of whatever you ate that day. It is pretty effective though. I'll tell you more about it in person.

Since it is 2 am when I am posting this, and I have a brutal workout tommorow morning I suspect I will be revisiting some of the old hangover cures.

Water, food or asprin either while drinking or before you sleep may be great remedies, but that kind of forthought tends to rule out the behaviour that gets me a good solid hangover so we will have to skip to the morning after.

Food and water are always a good start. Mexican (or really tex mex) seems to work best especially beans and rice. The most important and usefull thing for me however has always been hotsauce. One ove the vinigery ones like tabasco or frank's seems to work the best for me. On food is ok, but usually straight. I don't know if it is some sort of counter punishment for my body like smashing your thumb to make your tooth not hurt or what but after the initial shock of it I usually feel pretty ok. It takes somewhere around a table spoon to get the effect, which is more than I usually use on food. Also jalepenos never seem to work, not sure why.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

The water thing depends on what type of drinking you're doing. Alcohol is a secondary diuretic - you lose liquid as your kidneys attempt to flush out the ethanol/methanol - and roughly you should be drinking one pint of water per unit of alcohol to keep your pipes full - so if you're drinking beer, you're getting close to that anyways and water *before* going to bed isn't worthwhile. If you're on spirits, then it will help a lot. If you're going to be clinically accurate, then try to drink the same quantity you peed in the first place, plus two pints. This may involve taking a measuring jug to your party, but you can always claim it's a college experiment.

The next morning, however, drinking a good litre of water is essential, irrespective of your spirpt/brew selections, as now you're trying to shift methanol and not ethanol. Methanol is absurdly poisonous and the reason for the hangover itself, but is also less osmotic so is harder for your kidneys to flush - they try by pushing more liquid through to your bladder, so you become dehydrated as you sleep.

Eating food during your night out will make things seem better, as the starch and fat in the food binds to ethanol and slows absorption - so you get drunk slower, but also your hangover is spread out over time and is less of a kick in the privates come 9am. Eating the next morning serves no purpose as there's no ethanol left in your intestines to soak up.

By far the most effective hangover cure, as used on victims of acute alcohol poisoning, is a massive dose of vitamin B1 (thiamine), which is essential in allowing the kidneys to process ethanol. In the ER you get it straight into your arm, but a high-dose B1 vitamin pill taken just before you hit the sack will work wonders. Taken the next morning it will help, but not quite as quickly as your headache may want. Our rider always included a bottle of vitamins and a case of gatorade, and without them many more freeway offramps would've been vomit-colored in the 80's.

mG

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

what works for me: drink lots o water before bed, wake up an hour-ish before i actually have to get up the next day and drink some more water and take some aspirin, and go back to sleep til i have to get up. i swear, it works!

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Eat a banana. Drink gatorade. That's what I do. Alcohol supposedly depletes the body of potassium. The banana helps this. Then I drink a big ole' bottle of orage gatorade. Works like a charm.
    Also try "Emergen-C" it's like airborne, and helps too.

What about the 'hangover' pills....anyone try those? i saw an ad for those online somewhere and wondered.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

The French do onion soup for a hangover. Never tried it myself though.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

The one I use the most is called a prarie oster. You take 1 egg (Do not bust the yolk open), Put in a small cup or glass, Season with Woshershier and Pepper to taste, down the hatch. This one has always helped me out.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

I rarely get hangovers, but when I do, I drink whatever I was drinking the night before, if I can. No joke, it always makes me feel better.
    Because the worst I feel when I'm hungover is, I get that unsettled, empty feeling in my stomach, and to have a single drink of whatever I was on the night before always seems to mend me up quickly enough.

(Just don't drink the same copius amounts because that definitely will NOT help!)

Mind you, if the hangover is so bad that you're throwing up nonstop (which pretty much never happens with me), waiting it out is all you can really do about that. Even drinking water doesn't seem to quell the throwing up if it's that severe.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    The one I use the most is called a prarie oster. You take 1 egg (Do not bust the yolk open), Put in a small cup or glass, Season with Woshershier and Pepper to taste, down the hatch. This one has always helped me out.

HAHAA you know what a prarie oyster is??
    thats right... testicles. of either a bull or a buffalo, i cant remember which, but... yeah. ew. i dunno if theyre cooked or not... but... gross haha!
    im sure it wouldnt help with a hangover though...
    ive heard drinking a cup of tea before going to bed will just completely prevent it though... who knows?

You want some advise..Well here is some advise...

1. Dont drink...Sure fire cure for hangover...
    2 Dont get sober....Staying drunk is a great way not to get a hangover...You will never know you had one even if you do get one.
    3. After a full night of torturing my liver I Drink OJ, repleneshes vitamins, eat some crackers, sokes up some of the alcohol so that it is released into your system slower, Eat fruit if I have drank ALOT....Get some sleep...Wake up and Take a nice hot shower...Eat a good breakfast no matter how shitty I feel, cuz if you dont eat something then you will really feel like poo...

If all else fails...Go back to bed...Unless you have to go to school or work in which case your a moron for getting hammered ass drunk the night before anyway and deserve a hangover you dumbshit (not speaking directly to anyone)

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by vinylkitty
    ... peanutbutter fudge milshake from Sonic. The milk is calming to the stomach, the chocolate causes your body to release endorphins, the sugar raises your blood sugar, and the protein in the peanutbutter keeps your blood sugar level. And of course, drink lots of water.
    Mmmm... very tasty... but after a night
    of boozing... unless you are hypoglycemic
    to begin with, it's not a good idea... depending
    on what you've been drinking to start with.

While straight alcohol of the sour mash
    types will lower your blood sugar but
    mixed with soda will equal out somewhat,
    but sweet liquors (of course) will raise
    your glucose levels as well does beer.

There is a direct correlation between your
    blood sugar and hangovers... the pounding
    head, shakes and such... so the best way
    to avoid hangovers is to know beforehand
    just how your body processes glucose with
    certain drinks.

Eating beforehand helps, as most everyone
    has said, something slow digesting...
    potato, pasta, bread, cheese... coating the
    stomach... milk isn't always the answer as
    the lactic acids can cause you more problems
    that what you might have had without it.

Even better, don't mix your drinks...
    stick with one thing for the evening.
    As I learned in Germany:
    ~Wein nach bier, das rat ich dir, Bier nach wein, das lass ich sein~
    or
    Wine and Beer, never fear. Wine and Liquor, never sicker.
    Beer before liquor, never sicker, Liquor before beer, never fear

does not necessarily refer to the order
    in which one drinks but more to the
    abuse of moderation.

Since I smoke more weed than drink,
    I tend not to get hangovers, on the rare
    occasion that I decide to booze it up
    I find leaving a packed bong with a
    lighter next to it on the nightstand is
    the best hangover cure... before ever
    getting out of bed doing several rips
    makes having to get up bearable.

Fill with mingled cream and amber, I will drain that glass again.
    Such hilarious visions clamber through the chamber of my brain--
    Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies come to life and fade away;
    What care I how time advances: I am drinking ale today.
    (Edgar Allen Poe)

I've noticed that since I quit smoking I get way less of a hangover. I also bounce back faster. It's kind of sweet, being able to get totally wrecked and feel great by five the next day.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

oddly enough gree tea, straight, nothing in it but tea works effing wonders. i've heard blue gatorade is the shiznit when it comes to hangovers too. and as always there's the preventative measures, ie after every alcoholic drink have a glass of water, or collect bottle caps from your beers straws from your mix drinks whatever and drink that many glasses when you get home BEFORE you go to bed.

K

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    HAHAA you know what a prarie oyster is??
    thats right... testicles. of either a bull or a buffalo, i cant remember which, but... yeah. ew. i dunno if theyre cooked or not... but... gross haha!
    im sure it wouldnt help with a hangover though...
    ive heard drinking a cup of tea before going to bed will just completely prevent it though... who knows?
    What your thinking of is Rocky Mountain Osters

ah ive never heard them called rocky mountain oysters... just prarie oysters.
    either way... i aint tryin em.

DARKGYM's Avatar King of the night

You can use these by themselves or combine them.

1. Drink water before going to bed.
    2. Have a nice greasy breakfast (I'm talking heart attack on a plate)
    3. Keep drinking.

+ Reply to Thread