+ Reply to Thread

Thread: this one is for you, OEC

BloodredProject2402's Avatar Senior Member

Default this one is for you, OEC

i was just looking at your profile thing and just decided to go to your home website......i know its about a revolution but thats about all i got out of it.....im really interested in revolutions, protests and things of that nature....i was just wandering if you could clarify it all for me

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: this one is for you, OEC

Quote Originally Posted by BloodredProject2402
    i was just looking at your profile thing and just decided to go to your home website......i know its about a revolution but thats about all i got out of it.....im really interested in revolutions, protests and things of that nature....i was just wandering if you could clarify it all for me
    Thanks for the interest Essentially, the Orange Revolution was a mass protest of a falsified Presidential election in Ukraine. Since Ukraine obtained independence in 1991, the country had been ruled by authoritarian leaders. In 2004, the regime overstepped its bounds. The challenger, Viktor Yushchenko, was poisoned. He had the second highest dioxin level ever measured in a living human being. Miraculously, he lived. On November 21st 2004, the pro-regime candidate was declared the winner. The Ukrainian people took to the streets. After several weeks of protests, the Ukrainian Supreme Court annulled the results of the election. Yushchenko went on to win a third round on December 26th.

The key to the Orange Revolution was not a change in government. A people found their voice and overcame tyranny. One can now voice opinions without fear of reprisal. The media is free to report the news (under the previous regime they were given instructions directly from the president) The real change I've seen is in the spirit of the people. It may be a generation before Ukraine is a prosperous country. Seeing the Ukrainian people rise and conquer gives me confidence that it will. For now, the situation remains difficult. The country is split between a pro-russian east and a pro-europe west. The Yushchenko government has faced a lot of difficulties governing the country. On March 26th, a new parliament was elected. Hopefully, this will begin the consolidation of society.

12/26/2004. I'll never forget that day. We chartered a bus out so Ukrainian citizens here could vote at the embassy in DC. Some say voting doesn't matter. On that day, it was all that mattered. Amazing times.

At this point, my site is mostly just updates on current events there. If you look in the archives and photos, you can see a lot of the spirit of the time. I'll be offline most of the summer. Let me know if you have any other questions at that time.

Take Care

OEC

+ Reply to Thread