+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to adopt a pet

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Default Trying to adopt a pet

I have the cutest little chihuahua mix, Pika, and she needs a friend. I have applied at a few rescue centers, and my application was reviewed by one, and they asked us to come in for an interview. We went, they took one look at us and told us we were not approved because we had given up a dog in the past. (...now why did they tell us to drive accross the city for an interview if the information on my application already disqualified us from adopting...) My husband moved here from Germany, and couldnt bring his dog, so his old roomate took him. And my old dog went to live with my parents temporarily, and they love her so much I let them keep her.
    Now wtf? Why are rescue centers making it so hard for someone to adopt? I think those are fine reasons for giving up a pet, its not like we turned them in to a kill shelter, or sold them, or anything fucked up.
    My husband was so mad, he told the lady " thats fine, we will just go buy a puppy". He thinks they turned us down because of strange hairstyles and tattoos.
    Im so frustrated!

Default Re: Trying to adopt a pet

not sure about adoption policies but ive noticed that vets around here also give false information or want you to come in just to tell you something they could have told you over the phone. when my cat had kittens back in sept the vet told me that the one i brought in (the one with a huge dead leg because the umbilical cord got wrapped around it during birth) said he would be fine and would just probably live with 3 legs...he died before i could bring him back home.

now if they are not letting you adopt one because of strange hairstyles and tats then im not sure if thats discrimination or not and if you could get a lawyer or something. and because you gave a dog away in the past shouldnt mean you cant ever adopt again because you gave that pet to an owner who could take care of it rather than letting it go and run around in the street..

adoption places are freaking crazy. i think your better off buying one or if need be you can check craigslist>atlanta for people giving away their pets. Hope i helped some

yea, I have been looking at Craigslist actually. Im gonna go buy a newspaper today too.

Exiled

that is absurd.
    i had no idea that you even needed to fill out a form to adopt a dog, let alone that they would bother to read it.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

so call and speak with their managment, if the person who made the decision is managment, then demand to talk to either their ceo or whoever is in charge of legal issues...youll get your dog.

I sent the manager I had been corresponding with through email another email. I have yet to hear back from her.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

this story reminds me of the little old lady who raised a baby raccoon till "THE MAN" found out confiscated it cause it was a wild animal promising they wouldnt kill it but since it was raised since birth by humans it could not be reintroduced into the wild so they killed it

i guess they would rather put the animals to death than give them to you

should you take it personally?
    i would but of course i would take the bone out of my nose as to not freak out "THE MAN"

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'm not really sure about adoption places... is that sort of like the "humane society"? they might be called different things in different places, but they are just animal control aka. the pound. they pick up strays and people drop off animals, stuff like that. they will just kill the animal if it's not adopted, so usually they are more then happy to give it to someone cuz they make money that way. I don't mean to imply that they are neccesarily heartless and have no semantics about it, but that's the facts on how it works.

sue them for discrimination

This might have been a blessing in disguise. The lady I got Pika from calledme last night and told me she thinks Pika's mommy is pregnate again!!

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

yay!!!!!!!!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

After volunteering for animal control, I know quite alot about dealing with private organizations and adoption centers, after I myself have gone through it. Yes, they discriminate against people with tattoos and piercings and anyone who doesnt 'look' the norm. I dealt with an agency who wouldnt let me adopt (we already had two dogs in the home one was mine the other my room mates) because my roommates dog was 8 years old and a lab, and they said it was cruel to walk the dog everyday. Now we are talking about a lab who LOVED going to the beach and swimming and going on his daily walks. Just because he was a senior they felt it was cruel to walk him...go figure.

I hate private adoption agencies, and will never waste my time with one again. Id rather go to the local pound (ie govt sponsored) and find another dog. They are way less picky and just want to find the animals good homes before they put them down. Screw no kill animal shelters, they do more harm than good.

let them live free in countryside

2002 we still had wild dogs runing on the streets back in bosnia... I bet they still have them down there...

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

how can it be cruel to walk a dog that loves it??
    i could understand if that dog had really bad arthritis and was miserable every time it went for a walk, but thats just retarded... gha! swear to god i hate people sometimes. stupid little things that make no sense to anybody, but are still in operation for god knows what reason :S
    blah.

jsut another exsample of others thinkin they are right and your WRONG ,,damm i hate that ,,if a 8 yr old dog likes runnin,,,(,danm i thought thats what dog love to do?? ) let him run,, i like all animals ,,i take in strays some times ,cats ,dogs, frogs ,i dont care ,but i find them good homes ,i have 2 cats and want a new puppy now,,cuzz my bro's old dog was 14 yrs old ,and still wanted out to RUN every day ,but had to be put to sleep,,he got ill and was not much they could do , but im sure if i whent to the pound lol they take one look and ask ,,,,what the hell this guy wanna dog for ,hes all shaggy lookin ,looks like he cant take care of himself , well hope ya do get the new pup,,,if ya dont ,i found most pounds have some of the smartest dogs around and as Bob Barker says ,spade and nudter yer pets .

+ Reply to Thread