+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Network Neutrality- Internet freedom

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Default Network Neutrality- Internet freedom

I was sent this and thought I'd pass it along. Find the full article here at Snopes.com, an article here in the Washington Post.

Basically the issue is big business buying the internet so you the end user do not essentially have control over what you see on the internet. The link to the Move On petition is below. Go to their website to read more and sign and find out what more you can do to help if you're of a mind to.

Do you buy books online, use Google, or download to an iPod? Everything we do online will be hurt if Congress passes a radical law next week that gives giant corporations more control over what we do and see on the Internet.

Internet providers like AT&T are lobbying Congress hard to gut Network Neutrality--the Internet's First Amendment and the key to Internet freedom. Net Neutrality prevents AT&T from choosing which websites open most easily for you based on which site pays AT&T more. BarnesandNoble.com doesn't have to outbid Amazon for the right to work properly on your computer.

If Net Neutrality is gutted, many sites--including Google, eBay, and iTunes--must either pay protection money to companies like AT&T or risk having their websites process slowly. That why these high-tech pioneers, plus diverse groups ranging from MoveOn to Gun Owners of America, are opposing Congress' effort to gut Internet freedom.

You can do your part today--can you sign this petition telling your member of Congress to preserve Internet freedom? Click here:

http://www.civic.moveon.org/save_the...xluM7pwcyUvsDA

I signed this petition, along with 250,000 others so far. This petiton will be delivered to Congress before the House of Representatives votes next week. When you sign, you'll be kept informed of the next steps we can take to keep the heat on Congress.

Snopes.com, which monitors various causes that circulate on the Internet, explained:

Simply put, network neutrality means that no web site's traffic has precedence over any other's...Whether a user searches for recipes using Google, reads an article on snopes.com, or looks at a friend's ******* profile, all of that data is treated equally and delivered from the originating web site to the user's web browser with the same priority. In recent months, however, some of the telephone and cable companies that control the telecommunications networks over which Internet data flows have floated the idea of creating the electronic equivalent of a paid carpool lane.

If companies like AT&T have their way, Web sites ranging from Google to eBay to iTunes either pay protection money to get into the "fast lane" or risk opening slowly on your computer. We can't let the Internet--this incredible medium which has been such a revolutionary force for democratic participation, economic innovation, and free speech--become captive to large corporations.

Politicians don't think we are paying attention to this issue. Together, we do care about preserving the free and open Internet.

Please sign this petition letting your member of Congress know you support preserving Internet freedom. Click here:

http://www.civic.moveon.org/save_the...xluM7pwcyUvsDA

Thanks.

Default Re: Network Neutrality- Internet freedom

ah...i can see the old BBC boards comming back and old machines that you needed to directly call to get into. itll be 1986 in 2006

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

As long as the gas prices go back to 1959

my post on livejournal on may 12th, 2004 about gas prices back then:

May 12th, 2004
    04:27 am - A Experiment in Homicide
    Things are too expensive nowadays to where when you spend more money on a gallon of gas then a gallon of milk. Im about to invent a fucking car that will run on milk. Better yet...breast milk. Thats what im talking about. A fucking car to get 40 gallons to the teet. Not only is shit too expensive half the time it fucking breaks when you use it. Like my headphones from a company i wont name but rhymes with phony. Expensive earphones and what happens...they fucking broke. So what did i do? i had to tilt my head to keep the earcuff on..then after my head got enough cramps in the neck i went out and bought bigger earphones by a company ive never even heard of. For the same god damn price. Smokes are even expensive more then they used to be. Did you know a pack of smokes actually costs 25 cents to make..but with all the taxes they throw on there like state tax, tobacco tax, manufacturer tax, cocksuckingcorporate tax it adds up to around 4$ a pack. I think they even hid in a secret gas tax in there. Anybody play card games? I dont anymore..now that a booster pack of magic the gathering cards costs more then a gallon of gas. And their probably the same god damn cards i got last time. Whats the use if you get a billion red orchish thingys that look cool but get stomped on because their fathers never taught them how to fight liuke a man orch? Scotch tape pisses me off too. Almost 2$ a fucking roll that does what? NOTHING ..sure its sticky..but so is half of bodily fluid. Thats probably what its made out of anyway..either that or left over horse parts. Besides it doesnt really help stick anything together. It just falls off anyways so you have to resort to using silver duct tape which just looks ugly. Scented candles also piss me off. I bought on for 5 bucks and all it does is sit there and melt. I didnt buy you to melt dammit! i fucking bought you to make my hole in the wall room to stop the smell of wretched feet and decomposing corpses. I need a bowl of cereal..and so im going to go syphon my car of the new gas i created.
    Current Mood: [mood icon] bitchy
    Current Music: You mom screaming let me go

Wow.. you are one of the king ranters... I am thinking of making a tv show.. You wanna co-host?

i work alone :P

Drat

LOL. I love the tape & scented candles part.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

a car that runs on breastmilk, hmmm, I can see a future in that

ya i was at your site and was reading that ,,,,ya i can read ,,
    but man that would sux ,,bad enuff the allmitey phone gods r buyin others out ,,

i thought they bust those up so there is no monopily ,,,<can read ,just cant spell worth a damm any more with the meds im on lol,,, but was diff interesting ,,letting them get to big again is a bad ideal,,,and whats its gonna cost us,,,hell did ya know there was a bill in the house shot down ,,so cable and otherz can charge what ever they want for internet service,,has some thing to do with A) entertainment ,,B) informantion,,,damm i forgot what the reall issuse was ,,but its why they can charge outragous prices ,,,think it was the internet is ( A, Entertainment ),,not( B, Information) ,,, the idael for some one controlling what i see is friggin wacked,,

i dunno... i'm kind of looking forward to a world where i don't waste so much goddamn time on tthe internet

i already quit watching teevee, and movies... soon i'm moving into a hut i built out of twigs, and corregated cardboard...

I think what it boils down to is not control so much as money. Keep big business in the pink and screw everyone else. With the US in the state it is in really I think it was only a matter of time before something like this came onto the table.

It's appalling what Americans will put up with.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

too true. but it's no shock, Big Business controls everything in the world anyway. It's called Free Market Capitalism. In other words, the market has the freedom that you dont, and if you try to oppose it you will be beat up and thrown in jail.

I guess most people don't remember the era after the Civil War. It was refered to as the Gilded Age. That means a cheap metal that is coated in gold, so it's made to look like somethign nice, when it's really worthless. It was when the government decided that it wasn't worth it to spend money on trying to fix up the south. Think the precursor of FEMA. It was really the first time when a signifigant amount of people lived in poverty in this country. A few people saw the oppurtunity to swindle everyone. It was the birth of modern business practices, which means to maximize profit and if not to downright do harm, then at least to not give anything back to the community. These guys were called Robber Barons, and they are no different than the CEO's of today.

Graft and corruption never left. They don't even try to cover it up. although they usually put a spin on the more repulsive things to make them sound nice. propaganda is now called Public Relations, bribery is Political Contributions. Face it, money talks- bullshit walks.

Any effort to convince corporations that they should do something that's going to make them less money will fall on deaf ears. the only power we hold is buying power. That's how we hurt them, by simply refusing to give in to thier demands unless they are met responsibly. Good luck with that. People aren't going to stop using the internet anymore then they are going to stop paying three dollars for gas.

amelio's Avatar Exiled

el Internet debe ser democrático

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    too true. but it's no shock, Big Business controls everything in the world anyway. It's called Free Market Capitalism. In other words, the market has the freedom that you dont, and if you try to oppose it you will be beat up and thrown in jail.

I guess most people don't remember the era after the Civil War. It was refered to as the Gilded Age. That means a cheap metal that is coated in gold, so it's made to look like somethign nice, when it's really worthless. It was when the government decided that it wasn't worth it to spend money on trying to fix up the south. Think the precursor of FEMA. It was really the first time when a signifigant amount of people lived in poverty in this country. A few people saw the oppurtunity to swindle everyone. It was the birth of modern business practices, which means to maximize profit and if not to downright do harm, then at least to not give anything back to the community. These guys were called Robber Barons, and they are no different than the CEO's of today.
    The Robber Baron is alive and well today as you said there at the bottom. I think more than a few people don't realize that while yes theoretically every American has his/her chance to make it and have a piece of the big pie in the sky the reality is the way our system is set up the rich and big business is to thrive. Small business is expected to fail.

Too many people don't realize that the self made multi-billionaire is the exception not the rule.
    Graft and corruption never left. They don't even try to cover it up. although they usually put a spin on the more repulsive things to make them sound nice. propaganda is now called Public Relations, bribery is Political Contributions. Face it, money talks- bullshit walks.

Any effort to convince corporations that they should do something that's going to make them less money will fall on deaf ears. the only power we hold is buying power. That's how we hurt them, by simply refusing to give in to thier demands unless they are met responsibly. Good luck with that. People aren't going to stop using the internet anymore then they are going to stop paying three dollars for gas.
    That makes me really sad. I've always been a big proponent of the buying power of Joe Q. Public.

Part of my own feelings of personal responsibility for how things are and at least trying (in whatever way I can) to make some small change are usually centered around not giving my money to companies and corporations I do not respect.

Granted sometimes it's very difficult to do that and often I don't succeed. And my little bit of commerce doesn't make a huge impact. However, I still make the attempt. I like to think that if people thought that way, of doing just what little bit they could, all together they could make one hell of a stink.

Okay I'll stop here before I start ranting about activism and apathy. Thanks for your reply MG.

that's a good attitude, and I agree with that. maybe one person can't make a difference, but at least you can say that you tried and did something and didn't go down without a fight.

humm ,,gonna read The Art of War again,,,,i feel like Robbing a baron

eh, I don't like librarians or gun owners.

why don't we have like organic produce growers uniting with bicycle riders and people that use solar power and recyling?

fuck all those tree cutting, people shooting, loud noise shooshing, charlton hestons dead hand prying, mofos.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    eh, I don't like librarians or gun owners.

why don't we have like organic produce growers uniting with bicycle riders and people that use solar power and recyling?

fuck all those tree cutting, people shooting, loud noise shooshing, charlton hestons dead hand prying, mofos.

Beacuse if the granola-eating, treehugging, In my business about "how unhappy the cow was, that i am eating" Ever did unite.. then i will move to Belgium, where I can shoot my gun at unsuspecting animals, rip them open, and eat them on the spot.

you're an idiot.

ya guns suck, but wtf am i gonna do when some clowns >no offence BC ,

try kickin in the door too rob me of all my goodies ,throw Pea's at im ,,

i think not .. and if i was ever in the possition that i had to kill Jack the Rabbit for food,, thats one dead wabbit .hell i'll make boots out of the fur bag.
    and as for old Charlton Heston,same thing some one trys doing me harm they get a warnin shot >id probbly miss and hit the friggin bastages, while screammin' "Get yer damm hands off me ya dirty ape", i have a right to Bear arms r Arm bears something like that ? i can see old Smoky the bear with a shotgun , ya drop that match ,,and i;ll lite ya up .only you and some triple 000 buck shot can prevent forest fires. and i like trees ,, Big corperations need a Smokie the Bear to watch there money hungery asses and a Government thats gonna tax there asses the way they should be. so ya im all for watch dog groups keepin a eye on those guys . but give the rich a flat tax ,and watch them freak out ..ya lets see that happen

the fact that you think it's better to potentially kill someone rather then lose a DVD player leads me to think that you are the crazy one, not them.

now did i say i would KILL some one ,,no ,, freak them out and wait for the cops , oh hell yes i will ,but i said IF some one tryed to HARM me ya damm strait im gonna defend my self

hum ok first off didnt know ya r a vagan ,,soory about the killin bunnys and armin bears ,, and throwin peas ,i was a vegitarian for 5 years ,and it wasnt my bag ,doc's said i had to change my diet , guess alot of things changed allso , but hey , soory if i offended ya

it's ok, don't worry about it. Just the fact that you care whether or not you offend people, shows that you are probably a pretty good guy. a lot of people will straight up try to offend people, or just not care what other people think. as long as someone puts thought and takes the time to actually make a comment that is based on something credible, i'll respect them, even if I might not agree with it. In real life that is, lots of people say stupid or funny things that don't make any sense online. It's just when they say annoying bullshit that it makes me unhappy. But im going to shut up now cuz i'm taking this way off topic...

+ Reply to Thread