+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For any Australian readers -

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Default For any Australian readers -

ah yes, the SBS "Cult Animation" thing is over before it really began. They got half-way through "Samurai Champloo" before someone - probably Les Murray - said "Let's put on the soccer instead."

BASTARDS BASTARDS BASTARDS.

i suppose we should be grateful they at least showed most of "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex", but dayum, it hurts more to be fucked over by SBS than the other channels, because the others are all so commercial (aside, of course, from Auntie) that you expect to be fucked over by them. with the multicultural SBS - you watch Silvio Rivier doing those world travel spots, and the impartial and balanced SBS news and you see Mary Kostakidis being all charming and regal and you think "Yeah, at least SBS still has some standards."

then they pull this shit. i feel really sorry for anyone in Australia who has shelled out a lot of money for a TV that can't be connected to a computer, because there is sweet fanny adams[1] worth watching on free-to-air. you gets what you pays for.

although if you pay taxes then eight cents a day of that goes to supporting Auntie, and guess what THEY'RE showing? AGAIN?

fucking Kath and Kim.

their strategy for this show is like Milligan's description of the British Army and hanging: "if a soldier dies when you hang him, then keep on hanging him until he likes it." they imagine if they keep repeating K&K ad nauseam (and with that show, nauseam doesn't take long), people will stop thinking "this is septic, runny shit" and start thinking "this is clever, witty, biting satire, and very amusing in the bargain."

AAAAAAARGH.

here endeth the sermon. go now in peace.

[1] paraphrase for "SFA", or "sweet fuck-all".

Default Re: For any Australian readers -

yes, i know, mass doesn't end with the sermon. if i was preaching, it would, and everyone would get out forty minutes early.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

haha. (for some reason I didn't click that you were Aussie??... I'm a bit of a fucktard, though.)
    I didn't watch any TV that night. But. A few guys I know have been whining about it...

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Sorta like when they played the cool kiwi film WhaleRider, at a extremely important scene at the end that has subtitles, they scroll a news thing across the bottom or the screen that theyd been playing all night about the fucking miners while the subtitle was there. if theyd waited 3 seconds more itd wouldve been okay. FUCKERS!
    I hope someone got the sack for that.

haha don't worry, this guy was saying on Oprah or some show, you know those Headlines that scroll across the bottom of the screen nonstop on CNN?
    Apparently when Saddam Hussein's two sons were killed, they had all this grisly footage on screen, and the headline down the bottom was: "BEYONCE NO LONGER LIKES THE WORD 'BOOTYLICIOUS'" haha
    Obviously the people who control the scrolling don't even see the footage before they put their headlines up!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

An american invading...

Theonly things that I have religiously watched that were either Australian in whole, about Australia, or filmed in... Folllows

1. Farscape
    2. Mad Max
    3. Once Were Warriors.. (I admit, it makes me cry... )

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well at least you seem to have gotten some cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Switchblade
    haha. (for some reason I didn't click that you were Aussie??

well, i don't stand around in shorts and t-shirt with a beer can constantly in one hand and a pair of barbecue tongs in the other, talking about the football. or the cricket. or the rugby league. or the NASCAR races. i don't own a 4WD, i don't spend friday nights paralytic at the local boozer, i don't call women "shielas", i don't call native australians "boongs", i don't call gays "poofters"[1] and i've never owned an album by Cold Chisel or Johnny Farnham.

i think Eddie McGuire should be plowed into the ground and the ground salted and the site fenced off and forbidden to be approached for ten thousand years.

i don't watch "Australian Idol" or "Big Brother". i've never been to an AFL football match. i don't surf, i've never wrestled a crocodile and i didn't see a kangaroo until i was about ten. and i had to travel to a nature reserve for that.

i have never used the expression (usually shouted)"Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oy Oy Oy!"

my heart doesn't swell with pride when i hear "Advance Australia Fair", "Waltzing Matilda", Men At Work's "Down Under" or "Come on Aussie Come On". i think Austen Tayshus should join Eddie McGuire in a hole in the ground, along with Derryn Hinch[2], Stan Zemanek, Alan Fucking Jones, Naomi Robson, every single Willisee brother that ever walked through the gates of Channel 9 and every single member of the Australian Liberal party, including that shit-stain who poisoned the Tree of Knowledge (A historic Ghost Gum in Barcaldine, Queensland, reputed to mark the birthplace of the Australian Labor Party).

the only thing Aussie about me is that i am very well known down at Centrelink.

all that being said, i do like Vegemite.

[1] kind of hard to do this with a guy's dick in your mouth, anyway.

[2] i still have trouble believing that for a period of about eighteen months i was distantly related to that guy, through marriage.

hehe, I don't do the typical Aussie stereotyping, either. I very VERY occasionally use the word 'bloke' but that's more because my father drives trucks and I have been on the road with him, than anything else. (I also used to live on a farm, but everybody I know tells me I don't strike them as a 'farm' type of girl.)
    The only time I've ever used the word 'poofter' is reciting lines from Stan's grandad in South Park (lmao) and when I had to read a chapter aloud in English from an Australian story.
    Not much of an Eddie McGuire fan either. I don't mind Vegemite... in small doses.
    I also very much hate Big Brother, and I can't understand why the Idol series is such a big hit when year after year somebody undeserving wins it anyway because of some family heartbreak or an equally pathetic sob story.

And men who hang out in shearer's singlets, shorts and thongs day in, day out, with a beer in hand, don't do it at ALL for me. (I'm more of a spirit drinker anyway.)

i think vegemite is fucking disgusting
    but i have eaten the animals on our country's coat of arms, the emu and the kangaroo

ps
    Once were warriors is a new zealand film, they are our neighbours but not part of australia, and russel crowe is from there, so dont blame us

interesting fun fact... marmite, vegemite's even more disgusting yeast based cousin can be used to stop a bad trip for anyone who's on acid...

what? vegemite is real??

the offending crud on toast

someone actually eating it

travel size packs

and a big mutha fucka

Eeeeeeeew. Marmite is fucking foul. I don't mind Vegemite, but like I said, only in small doses. Baker's Delight made a fortune off the cheese-and-vegemite scrolls... they weren't too bad.
    And grebo, I have also eaten kangaroo meat... I knew there had to be a good use for them! Coming off a farm, it shits me when people from overseas ask, "Do you have a pet kangaroo?" I mentioned this to my boyfriend's American cousin, and she said, "Do we have bears in our backyards?" haha.
    Never had emu, I heard it's kinda gamey.
    And I can't drink beer, the taste makes me sick. Guess I'm not much of an Aussie after all...

Quote Originally Posted by grebo
    the offending crud on toast

good lord. that's not a beginner's dose.

people, Vegemite is like heroin. if you've never tasted it before and you ate that much in one go, your head would cave in like a ping-pong ball underneath the Terminator's boot.

start off with some warm buttered toast, smear on a small lump about the size of a pea and smear it around, mixing it with the butter. it does take a little getting used to, but four generations of Aussies with kids as healthy as weeds isn't a coincidence.

hmmm for some reason I figured it would be like liverwurst , except made from vegetables, but from what I could make out from the ingredients there looks like some potent shit in there

my brother worked in Australia for a year ,
    and even tho most peeps there didnt seem to like Yanks as he said some were very nice people ..
    and ya he got drunk and try some Vegemite .. he liked it too.

now hes always been the kind of guy to try new things me my self ,i think he's frigging nuts ..

he said they put the amount of a dice on some type of bread i forgot what kind ,but he also had it on some crackers..

ive tryed Emu ,wasnt bad ,theres a small Emu farm about 50 from me.
    and a freind got some to try .
    but any more theres foods i just will not eat ..

+ Reply to Thread