+ Reply to Thread

Thread: im suffering a bit of insomnia

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default im suffering a bit of insomnia

ive been awake for the past 36 hours and i cant fall asleep ive tried evrything from warm milk to nyquil

Mother Superior

Default Re: im suffering a bit of insomnia

Try laying in bed and turning on something that relaxes you, something you may have taped such as cartoons or a show you like. That works for me.

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

being online wont help......something my granddad told me years and years and years ago was slowly relax parts of your body and it goes kinda numb...start off with the legs and work up your body and that always worked for me

Mother Superior

KilLAtomiK may have fallen to sleep

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic_Messiah
    being online wont help......something my granddad told me years and years and years ago was slowly relax parts of your body and it goes kinda numb...start off with the legs and work up your body and that always worked for me
    Odd, my grandmother taught me the same thing. Start with your toes, imagine them floating away, and by the time you get to your head you should fall asleep. It's a form of meditation. Thing is, I always got sidtracked. I kept asking where my bits went when they got "numb" and "floated away". Same with counting sheep. I'd get all tangled up in where they came from and where they went and how did I know it wasn't the same 3 sheep over and over again? *sigh* ADHD, Gotta love it all...
    K

maybe it's just one of those things all grandparents know,
    thanks for the much better description of it than "make yourself relax and go numb"

no i just went to eat breakfast still awake , and the reason i was online is because staring at the monitor for a long time sometimes makes me sleepy i might take a nap later its to bright in my house to sleep now

That's what blindfolds are for...
    K

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

Hot bath, then warm milk, 1 slice buttered white toast and a banana, get into bed, masturbate... nighty-night.

Maybe that might work?

~Histrionica~

all i got is a curtain which is prety much useless for blocking the sun but on the plus side it look very nice

Mother Superior

Well, just stay up, your up anyway. If you are off from school or work, it doesn't matter, just sleep tonight.

get drinking, dont get wasted but get tipsey....you'll fall right to sleep
    but yeah u might as well make friends with the coffee maker until tonight

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    ive been awake for the past 36 hours and i cant fall asleep ive tried evrything from warm milk to nyquil

I think if I drank warm milk and Nyquil, I would be too queasy to sleep. I liked Halcyon before it got pulled from the market. Only thing I ever took that really really worked for bringing the sleep fairy and waking up relaxed and refreshed. (I am of course talking about the blue pill and not my favorite pink-haired poster.)

How often does this happen? Do you have periods when you do the opposite- sleep too much?
    P.

I have been awake for about a week now. Im not sure if it is insomnia, or the people bursting into my room to yell at me for no reason,every time I try to sleep.

Either way, It has been almost around 5 days since I have gotten any real type of sleep lately.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    I have been awake for about a week now. Im not sure if it is insomnia, or the people bursting into my room to yell at me for no reason,every time I try to sleep.
    Either way, It has been almost around 5 days since I have gotten any real type of sleep lately.
    If so -then this definitely might need a dr. attention....what abt your mood- do you feel better than usual or more agitated/angry? Any substances you are taking to make this happen?
    --P.

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    If so -then this definitely might need a dr. attention....what abt your mood- do you feel better than usual or more agitated/angry? Any substances you are taking to make this happen?
    --P.
    A Best friend of Mine Died Saturday, and that didnt help. Even with that grief, my family still does not allow me any peace from them. Every time I goto my room to try to sleep, then they send my father in there naked to yell at me in general. Meaning he will burst in there naked, brush against me, and then yell at me about random stuff that doesnt make any sense.

It is all in live journal, but My father and grandmother never stop, 24/7. Also, they keep sabotaging(sp) all my attempts to get a job, because they know I will leave here as soon as I get a chance to.

Aside from that, I have trouble sleeping anyway.

A Best friend of Mine Died Saturday, and that didnt help. Even with that grief, my family still does not allow me any peace from them. Every time I goto my room to try to sleep, then they send my father in there naked to yell at me in general. Meaning he will burst in there naked, brush against me, and then yell at me about random stuff that doesnt make any sense.
    It is all in live journal, but My father and grandmother never stop, 24/7. Also, they keep sabotaging(sp) all my attempts to get a job, because they know I will leave here as soon as I get a chance to.

Hi-So the death was a stressor- and it sounds like you don't have the healthiest family- btw you said you father says 'random nonsense'- does he have a mental health and/or substance issue?
    Yes it may be that it's time to leave..
    If you can try to call a local crisis hotline (if they have them in your area) - to talk to someone..you need some new options it sounds like..best wishes P.

When I lived with my parents, Sleep wasn't an option. I was a clinical insomniac for nearly 16 years. Once I hit sixteen though, I had good friends who would let me appear suddenly and crash a few days at their place. Now I could sleep through WW5 if it were to happen tonight.

Oddly-- Last night while I was sleeping I dreamed I was in a school building that was burning down. Woke up this morning and on the news was a story about a school building burning down over night. The building was empty, but the summer school classes for the next few weeks were cancelled...
    K

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    When I lived with my parents, Sleep wasn't an option. I was a clinical insomniac for nearly 16 years. Once I hit sixteen though, I had good friends who would let me appear suddenly and crash a few days at their place. Now I could sleep through WW5 if it were to happen tonight.

Oddly-- Last night while I was sleeping I dreamed I was in a school building that was burning down. Woke up this morning and on the news was a story about a school building burning down over night. The building was empty, but the summer school classes for the next few weeks were cancelled...
    K
    School's out for summer

and your little dog too

That is just creepy. Whether or not you have a job, you should leave there. If you stay in that situation, there is something wrong with you.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

the best thing to stop insomnia according to medical doctors and sleep therapists.......... is to try to stay awake........ works rather well

BTW- did you get to sleep yet?
    K

My insomnia used to be forced. I would get home at about 5 and have to be at work at 8 so I would just stay up knowing that if I did go to sleep I wouldn't regain consciousness until about 3 in the afternoon. But now its the way things are. I usually pop a couple Unisom around 8 pm if I want to be asleep by midnight. Diphenhydramine and I are really close friends.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I just usually read or work out or something, as for when ican't sleep I susally readwhile I pet my dog your brain gets completely tired out and before you know it the dogs asleep and your asleep and the book your reading is on the ground with no book mark

Ambika's Avatar Member

watch paid advertisements on tv those usually put me to sleep.. or soap opera's...or a few episodes of buffy and angel <3 Gatta love the power of Joss Whedon. but that probably only works for me...

in case anyone was wondering i managed to get some sleep at around 2 in the afternoon the other day a bit of tequila and classic country music did the trick

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic_Messiah
    Holy CRAP, my girlfriend told me to do the same thing, i did that *BAM* 5 minutes i was out.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

Sleeping potion -

1/8 hash (or any other resin of the marijana variety)
    200g plain chocolate
    3/4 pint milk
    1/4 pint single or double cream (NOT whipped)
    Sugar to taste

method: (nb - use a whisk)

melt chocolate in a double boiler (or in microwave)
    finely grind/mash dope till fine powder
    add to choc
    add milk slowly - mix in to choc
    add cream slowly
    taste, add sugar (usually 4 teaspoons) until it tastes divine

drink

wake up 6 hours later on the sofa with the dregs in your lap

REMEMBER - DO NOT ALLOW MIXTURE TO BOIL

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

im not sure what other people have posted, but whenever i cant sleep i read books, watch movies, or talk on the phone, and it usually helps me get to sleep...

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I find that only nyquil liquid gelcaps work. It doesn't work in any other form.

Eternal throes's Avatar Senior Member

Your not alone. Ive been upfor 2 days straight going on three and for a week before that I've only been able to sleep during the day (12PM-4PM shifs). Im sorry to say I have no advice except get realy thick black curtins for when you crash during the day, if you do. Is anyone els easily startled at this point?

+ Reply to Thread