+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are you reading?

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by kshearsedriver
    imajica by clive barker.....but i don't get much time to read so it takes forever to finish anything
    have you read weaveworld by him? omg... SOOO so so freaky and screwed up i loved every second of it! my copy is kinda falling apart hehe...

argh too late to edit.. i didnt see the post where you said you hadnt read weaveworld yet heh... but its awesome... ill have to find imajica and all the rest by clive barker though, if theyre as nice and twisted as weaveworld

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by -=Asmodeus=-
    I just finished re-reading "Covenant with the Vampire (Diaries of the Family Dracul)" By Jeanne Kalogridis...Cool book cuz it tells the story from many different chars points of view...
    Have you read the follow up books? Children of the Vampire and Lord of the Vampires? The last one takes you up to the Bram Stoker story and beyond. The second explains how Van Helsing can do certain things like move really fast, I won't give the game away if you haven't read it, (I want "ArchAngel") and the third book explains the turning of Dracula from human to vampire. They are both very good.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i'm still working on reading house of leaves...... it's really good, different than anything else i've read, esepcially cause in parts you have to turn the book upside down to read it. my coworkers look at me funny when i do that... hehe. after that, i'm a read this book on funeral customs and death that i received for my b-day last weekend, i'm too lazy too go to my room and look up the title. so many books, so little time... hehe

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

House of leaves is such a great book, but it reaqlly requires multiple readings to grasp it in its entirety. I just finnished reading Batman: the Long Halloween its one of the best graphic novels ive ever read and i highly reccomend it to anyone who hast read it and ejoys that type of thing.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't think so. I'm not really sure what those places are, so more than likely not. the only places that it talks about are some houses where they got kicked out cuz a kid from az threw a forty through the nieghbors window, and then where a girl ODed.
    I'll check it out anyways. Ott is insightful when he's in his own space. There were too many overdoses to begin to know where that was. Those are/were houses in Berkeley. The Chateau has been a squat since the early 90s. I do not believe in the tell-all memoirs coming out. From the sound of it, Ott has acted in a decent manner.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm re-reading Idoru now.

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    no book has caught my eye in a few months now, maybe it's time to read atlas shrugged again
    haha awesome, i was about to post that i was re-reading atlas shrugged. i read some sappy romance or paranormal fiction stuff here and there, even while still reading ayn rand. atlas gets better every time...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I should reread Demian again, it's been a few years since I ran through my Hermann Hesse collection. I think my perspective on some of the themes might be a little different now.

I started this tread 3 weeks ago and I am still reading The Ethical Slut.

This must be a record for the slowest book I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I'm re-reading Idoru now.
    ah... Idoru's okay. i really liked All Tomorrow's Parties... Gibson's basically been writing the same book for what 20 years now? but it's a good book...

i finished Stephenson's Baroque Cycle a while back, and damn fine read... 'cyberpunk' in the age of Isaac Newton... although i'm constantly reading, nothing's really caught my eye lately...

these are in my knapsack this week-

Dreamgates-Robert Moss... lucid dreaming, and then some

The Secrets of Optimal Breathing-Micheal Grant White... basically what it says... poorly laid out though, rambling, a complex subject.

The Life and Memoirs of Casanova-Casanova... sticking to the 18th century...pretty entertaining actually... of course i'm reading an abridged version, ye gods how many volumes are there?

all this in lieu of a 4th Historical Illuminatus Chronicles book by RAW
    or a decent translation of Jin Yong's Eastern Condor Heros www.wuxiapedia.com only has a few chapters translated so far

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    im currently rereading Please Kill Me, its essentrially a bunch of interviews from key players in the early punk rock scene that are cut up and arranged in a somewhat narrative format, its great because it actually offers differeing opinions on the history and events of the early scene by a whole bunch of people that where there, I highly recommend it, its probably the best book on punk rock ive ever read.
    I just read that last week. Been thinking about it a lot. Like the part where a lot of people think of the Sex Pistols as the quintessential punk band, yet they really came along ten years after there already was a punk scene and fucked it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    ah... Idoru's okay. i really liked All Tomorrow's Parties... Gibson's basically been writing the same book for what 20 years now? but it's a good book...

i finished Stephenson's Baroque Cycle a while back, and damn fine read... 'cyberpunk' in the age of Isaac Newton... although i'm constantly reading, nothing's really caught my eye lately...

these are in my knapsack this week-

Dreamgates-Robert Moss... lucid dreaming, and then some

The Secrets of Optimal Breathing-Micheal Grant White... basically what it says... poorly laid out though, rambling, a complex subject.

The Life and Memoirs of Casanova-Casanova... sticking to the 18th century...pretty entertaining actually... of course i'm reading an abridged version, ye gods how many volumes are there?

all this in lieu of a 4th Historical Illuminatus Chronicles book by RAW
    or a decent translation of Jin Yong's Eastern Condor Heros www.wuxiapedia.com only has a few chapters translated so far

I loved Snow Crash and Diamond Age was very creative and I read everything up to Crypto, but then Neal Stephenson's stuff didn't totally hit me after that.

William Gibson remains the only celeb I have ever choked on meeting. His observations on fame in Idoru were actually really on the money and ahead of their time.

i cried after reading Cryptonomicon... i'll never be able to write a book that good... *sniff*sob* You have to be willing to give The Baroque Cycle a try, and just accept that it's science fiction without the robots, cyberspace or whatever... not everyone's going to dig it though.

Gibson's been pretty consistent throughout, his short story "Dog Fight" from Burning Chrome is my favorite thing he's ever done. i saw him speak at a book signing for Pattern Reconition, which he says was inspired by the title of Naomi Klein's No Logo... just that. it set off a chain reaction in his imagination... he's really kind of unassuming, like a community college english professor. which is really cool in a way, kind of lends more interest to his ideas for me. his talk was just about as cool as one of his books.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I just read that last week. Been thinking about it a lot. Like the part where a lot of people think of the Sex Pistols as the quintessential punk band, yet they really came along ten years after there already was a punk scene and fucked it all up.
    Yeah i get kind of angry when people keep claiming that punk was started in the UK, but really dont think the sex pistols fucked it up to much, i mean yeah they did make it popular and got a lot of media attnetion with thier antics, but i think that in the end if it wasnt the sex pistols it would have been the clash, or the ramones or some other band. But the Sex Pistols in any case are definately not the quintesential punk band , nor are the even the quintesential british punk band.

autumn's Avatar Member

I'm reading Go Ask Ogre

Im reading this murder mystery type book called 'Still Waters'. Its pretty decent.

Kahunaxi's Avatar Junior Member
    Glasgow (Born there and go to college there.)

Yo. First post!

Ne ways, I'm currently reading "Nobody True" by James Herbert and I'm saving up to afford a copy of a few Asimov classics.

the anti pope by robert rankin

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Dreamweaver 8 for Dummies
    The 2600
    CSS for Dummies

Mother Superior

A Dark-Adaped Eye by Ruth Rendell.

Just finished two books by Christopher Hinz:
    - Liege-Killer
    - Ash Ock (the sequel to Liege-killer)
    and I think there is a third book but I can not remember its name, these are scifi by the way.

Poppy's Avatar Member

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
    Am I the only one who hasn't read this book? I remember some time ago, maybe like five years, when you couldn't find it. It was out of print for awhile. Of course that's when I wanted to read it. Now I don't know when I'll ever get around to it, I guess I have to make a concrete decision and say "This is it. I'm going to read this book."

I have do not believe I've read Good Omens though I have read other books by Terry Pratchett.

So MG your in good company

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I'm reading Dianetics. lol

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I'm reading Dianetics. lol
    We live in a dangerous neighborhood.

i've always wanted to read 'Dioretix' the book they keep talking about in 'Repoman'

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

chronicles of cthulu arkham edition volume two by h.p lovecraft and other authors. some are good some arent so good. best one i think so far in it is notebook found in an abandoned room. it's badass.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Am I the only one who hasn't read this book? I remember some time ago, maybe like five years, when you couldn't find it. It was out of print for awhile. Of course that's when I wanted to read it. Now I don't know when I'll ever get around to it, I guess I have to make a concrete decision and say "This is it. I'm going to read this book."
    i havent either. the only shit ive read by giaman is the sandman comics. lol

Now I don't know when I'll ever get around to it, I guess I have to make a concrete decision and say "This is it. I'm going to read this book."
    heh make that the day you see it somewhere and pick it up...
    btw i havent read it either. i need to read more.
    do bead patterns count as reading? hehe

+ Reply to Thread