+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Default What are you reading?

I'm reading an excellent book at the moment 'The Ethical Slut' which a friend lent me.

What are the rest of you reading or what was the book you last read?
    I need something good

Mother Superior

Default Re: What are you reading?

Just finished re-reading The Stranger by Albert Camus. Now on Death In Venice by Thomas Mann.

Habve you read Camus's The Plague?

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

just visited the second-hand-bookstore. Robert Graves (Claudius the God - very funny in places and sad in others), early Moorcock, Fritz Lieber (A Spectre is Haunting Texas), James Blish and Brian Aldiss.

also going back through Robert Anton Wilson's Historical Illuminatus books and hoping, judging from the ending of book three, that there's gonna be a book four.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Just reread The Catcher in the Rye. I wasn't sure how I'd interpret it after all these years. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go fuck shit up.

Also have read:

Dark Eros by Thomas Moore - on the Marquis de Sade (reread)
    The Path to Salvation by Theophan the Recluse
    Elements of Justice by David Schmidtz
    The Two Faces of Justice by Jiwei Ci
    Why Marriage Matters by Evan Wolfson (pro same-sex marriage) (reread)

in the last few weeks. I've had a lot of time as m'lady was in the hospital. Thankfully, all is well. We're going home.

OEC

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

At the moment, I'm reading a book called "One Foot in the Grave"

It is a story of a man stuck in mid-transformation from Human to Vampire, exposing the science of the vampiric condition. He is taken in by a Vampire Enclave, but another one wants to get him. It has werewolves, redcaps, gnomes, knockers, brownies, sprites, mummies, zombies, allsorts of things.

It's described as Dracula meets the Godfather.

Just finished re-reading 'Redemption' (by Wayne Sharrocks) which is a fantastically dark psychological thriller.
    Am now starting 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind and have 'Dead until Dark' by Charlaine Harris after that.

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyKat
    Just finished re-reading 'Redemption' (by Wayne Sharrocks) which is a fantastically dark psychological thriller.
    Am now starting 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind and have 'Dead until Dark' by Charlaine Harris after that.
    Seeker,
    No, I haven't read The Plague by Camus. I know it's supposedly one of his best.

AlleyKat,
    You will love Perfume, it's wonderful.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Nothing at the moment, though I do have a pile of books I should read. I'm in the mood to read 'Peter and the Starcatchers' followed by 'Peter and the Shadow Thieves', though.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I just finished Room by Hubert Selby Jr and BANG! by Rollins. I'm rereading Stranger than Fiction- by Chuck Palahniuk while I'm trying to decide what I want to read next.

The Plague is an amazing book. I think it is Camus' best.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

i read the ethical slut, was great
    just finished "The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists" by Neil Strauss
    At the moment im reading "A Mind Of Its Own, a cultural history of the penis" big book but great read

Well at the moment I have just started "Storming Heaven" By Dale Brown...
    I just finished re-reading "Covenant with the Vampire (Diaries of the Family Dracul)" By Jeanne Kalogridis...Cool book cuz it tells the story from many different chars points of view...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

no book has caught my eye in a few months now, maybe it's time to read atlas shrugged again

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Ring of Fire (Part of the Eric Flint alternative History series)

kshearsedriver's Avatar resident nut

imajica by clive barker.....but i don't get much time to read so it takes forever to finish anything

the_plague's Avatar Satanic Guitar

the satanic bible

Hail!

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    Ring of Fire (Part of the Eric Flint alternative History series)
    i readthe 1st one of those, liked it alot

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

Love in Vein II....a collection of vampiric erotic

Cyrielle's Avatar Member

Rock Magazine from France called "Elegy", with a lot of wonderful pictures!

One of my best friends sent me books I'm reading.

Whores and other Feminists- edited by Jill Nagle

American Hardcore: A Tribal History

Angeldust Apocalypse by Jeremy R Johnson (he is a nice guy go read his stuff it's good.)

There are two more that I can't recall at the moment. I'll be in happy reading heaven for probably three weeks.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore i've been reading for awhile, but I set it down about a month ago, and haven't had time to pick it up.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

The books of the Troy Game by Sarah Douglas are AWESOME (book four is still in hard back *pout*).

One of my all time favourite books is "The Sins of Rachel Ellis". A really good book, involving magic, mystery and Merlin.

The Cold Fire Trilogy by CS Freidman is a nice thick wad of words to be consumed at leisure. the Ultimate Sexy Bad Guy goes across the world to change it.

"So You Want to be a Wzard" and the resulting sequels are a great read. Envious stories of people that have always wanted to work magic, and get to.

"Bimbos of the Death Sun/ Zombies of the Gene Pool" and "Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Sword Person" make a comical afternoon full of fluff, the first (two) are solving SciFi Con Mysteries. The second is teh travels of well Maureen Birnbaum. "Good Omens"- the funniest take on the Apocolypse ever.

"WeaveWorld"~ similar to Narnia in that Extrordinary worlds lurk in ordianry things, but better. "American Gods"~ defies explanation. A young man gets tangled up with the old gods and tries to bring balance to the universe and then some. "Life Expectancy"- about evil clowns and pastries, actually a decent Koontz book.

I read too much.

K

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    American Hardcore: A Tribal History
    supposedly that book is like really innacurate. ah, I don't know there's another one that's pretty much the exact same thing written by another guy that is supposed to be better.

a couple things I didn't like was that it left out a lot of really amazing influential IMO bands in favor of one's that just aren't that great. and I don't like how it was just like 'well, punk died in 1988', and then didn't get into anything about 90's punk or hardcore, which is what I consider to be the "real" hardcore, as most of the bands in the book never called themselves "hardcore" or contributed to what came to be the seperation of hardcore from punk.

to sum up the book, in case anyone is intrested: (Insert band here) formed cuz we just were a bunch of crazy kids that wanted to play songs. we played a bunch of shows and got big, riots ensued, we fought the cops. then everyone said we were sellouts, and we all did a lot of drugs and ended up hating each other and the band broke up. and then next year we got back together and did the whole thing again.--repeat for the next 200 pages.

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

I was reading the Blue Blood Boards always a good choice so long as the trolls are in check then its hilarius as the others tear them apart.

OB~26

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    supposedly that book is like really innacurate. ah, I don't know there's another one that's pretty much the exact same thing written by another guy that is supposed to be better.

a couple things I didn't like was that it left out a lot of really amazing influential IMO bands in favor of one's that just aren't that great. and I don't like how it was just like 'well, punk died in 1988', and then didn't get into anything about 90's punk or hardcore, which is what I consider to be the "real" hardcore, as most of the bands in the book never called themselves "hardcore" or contributed to what came to be the seperation of hardcore from punk.

to sum up the book, in case anyone is intrested: (Insert band here) formed cuz we just were a bunch of crazy kids that wanted to play songs. we played a bunch of shows and got big, riots ensued, we fought the cops. then everyone said we were sellouts, and we all did a lot of drugs and ended up hating each other and the band broke up. and then next year we got back together and did the whole thing again.--repeat for the next 200 pages.
    I flipped through it and saw a lot of that. Unfortunately though with any sort of book like this, you'll get the authors spin pretty much no matter what. And depending on who it was that wrote it, you'll get four different stories.

I don't think about any movement (musical at least) in terms of "real" or not "real" for the most part. It's too subjective of a thing. Ask one person what (insert musical movement here) is and they'll tell you one story ask someone else and they'll tell you another.

I'm more interested in the roots of how genres of music begin and expand to influence the things that come later. And how they took what they had and made it into something of their own.

I have some other books on the way about various figures in punk and hardcore. I'm really looking forward to some of the stuff about nazi's and mis-intepreted music.

Mistress Abigail De'Ath's Avatar Junior Member

Highway to Hell - The Life & Times of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott by Clinton Walker...This being a somwhat surreal experience as it is full of people and places I hold dear to my heart on the other side of the planet.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Just finished Mark Spitz's Too Much Too Late. He is a really good writer, but it made me sad.

Orwell's Homage to Catalonia

kshearsedriver's Avatar resident nut

i loved "good omens".....still need to read "weaveworld" but so far everything of barker's i've read i've liked soooooooo it's on my list

poison's Avatar Senior Member

am currently reading the classic 'moby dick' for my course which starts again in september, got about 30 books to read before then and that includes non which i want to read of my own accord

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

im currently rereading Please Kill Me, its essentrially a bunch of interviews from key players in the early punk rock scene that are cut up and arranged in a somewhat narrative format, its great because it actually offers differeing opinions on the history and events of the early scene by a whole bunch of people that where there, I highly recommend it, its probably the best book on punk rock ive ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by poison
    am currently reading the classic 'moby dick' for my course which starts again in september, got about 30 books to read before then and that includes non which i want to read of my own accord
    I suggest you skip reading moby dick and read the cliff notes, they cover everything important as that book could have been written with hal;f as many pages and still had everything important to the story plus a lot of of unimportant exposition. the way it was written about 3/8 of the book is actually meaningful plot and tastefull exposistion, the rest of it is just excessive padding, in short its a great story but a bad book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    im currently rereading Please Kill Me, its essentrially a bunch of interviews from key players in the early punk rock scene that are cut up and arranged in a somewhat narrative format, its great because it actually offers differeing opinions on the history and events of the early scene by a whole bunch of people that where there, I highly recommend it, its probably the best book on punk rock ive ever read.
    which bands? care to name a few? just curious.

PS: while we're giving shout-outs here, i'd say the best book that I read about Punk Rock tm Is "My World: Rambling of an aging gutter punk" by Jeff Ott.

Why you may ask? because it has two sentances about being in a band, one chapter on punk, and then another 160 pages about shit that actually matters and that people should be reading about. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking on entertainment, but I prefer the kind that has implications on peoples lives that go beyond that in and of itself.

which bands? care to name a few? just curious.
    it has people liek the ramones, richard hell, david bowie, lou reed, iggy pop, the mc5, the new york dolls, and a whole bunch of early scenesters and peopel from bands i dont remmember the name of.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker
    I'm reading an excellent book at the moment 'The Ethical Slut' which a friend lent me.

What are the rest of you reading or what was the book you last read?
    I need something good
    I am reading HP Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness

Divided Kingdom- Rupert Thomson
    ok its alittle strange ..a little twisted ..but not bad.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

PS: while we're giving shout-outs here, i'd say the best book that I read about Punk Rock tm Is "My World: Rambling of an aging gutter punk" by Jeff Ott.

Why you may ask? because it has two sentances about being in a band, one chapter on punk, and then another 160 pages about shit that actually matters and that people should be reading about. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking on entertainment, but I prefer the kind that has implications on peoples lives that go beyond that in and of itself.
    Is Ellsworth House or the Chateau in that book? May have to pick it up.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Is Ellsworth House or the Chateau in that book? May have to pick it up.

OEC
    I don't think so. I'm not really sure what those places are, so more than likely not. the only places that it talks about are some houses where they got kicked out cuz a kid from az threw a forty through the nieghbors window, and then where a girl ODed.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

soon as i can find it, im gonna re read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy (a trilogy in five parts) again. one of my favorites

+ Reply to Thread