More Top News:

Board Approves 62-Home North Slope Village Project

Crash Kills Lyndon Woman

Board Finds Intense Opposition To Wind Farm Project In Sutton

'Cruise' In Late Youth's Honor Draws Riders From Around Region

Border Patrol Agent Indictments Reveal Rifts Among Feds

Public Service Board Visits Proposed East Haven Wind Farm

ST. JOHNSBURY VERMONT
    A Morrisville teenager who broke into a tomb and used a hacksaw to cut the head off of a corpse was sentenced Wednesday afternoon to 1 to 7 years in prison.

Nickolas Buckalew, 18, pleaded guilty in Caledonia District Court to a felony charge of intentionally removing or injuring a tombstone and a felony charge of intentionally disinterring and carrying away the remains of a human body.

The Lamoille County case was transferred to the Caledonia courthouse in St. Johnsbury after a waterline failure left the Hyde Park courthouse without water.

On April 8, 2005, Buckalew went to a cemetery on the Washington highway in Morrisville and broke into an above-ground tomb, opened the lid of a casket and cut off the head of a corpse. He wrapped the head in plastic bags and took it home. He also stole eyeglasses and a bow tie from the corpse.

Buckalew told witnesses he intended to leave the severed head out and would then bleach it, according to the affidavit of Senior Patrolman Ryan Bjerke of the Morristown Police Department. He told witnesses he intended to turn the skull into a bong, which is a type of pipe used to smoke marijuana or other drugs.

After removing the head from the corpse, Buckalew went to an apartment house where he told residents of an apartment what he had done and that he had done the crimes because he was bored, according to police, who did not identify the witnesses because they are juveniles.

Buckalew was described by witnesses as "Gothic," wearing all black clothing with spiked hair.

Witnesses went to the tomb to see if Buckalew did as he claimed and they looked through holes in the tomb and saw that the lid had been removed from a casket and there was a headless body in the casket.

On April 9 at 2:45 p.m., Morristown police executed a search warrant at Buckalew's residence located at 1591 Elmore St. in Morrisville. They found a human head wrapped in bags, a necktie, a hacksaw, crowbar, garden trowel and two small parts of the damaged casket.

During Wednesday afternoon's sentencing hearing, Judge Dennis Pearson upheld the plea agreement between the state and the defendant and sentenced Buckalew to a total of 1 to 7 years to serve in prison. Buckalew was given credit for the 14 months he's served in prison awaiting trial. He will be sent to Spring Lake Ranch in Cuttingsville, Vt., a therapeutic community residential treatment program, where he will obtain intensive counseling for mental health issues. He will remain there for an indeterminate period under a conditional community reentry program. He will be in the custody of the Department of Corrections for up to seven years under the conditional reentry program.

Dr. Philip Kinsler, a clinical psychologist and adjunct assistant professor of psychiatry at the Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, N.H., testified that Buckalew suffered from a bipolar disorder that was described as "biologically based mental illness." He testified learning from Buckalew that "he has always felt extraordinarily out of place" and that Buckalew told him that in the fourth grade he attempted to hang himself.

The witness told the court Buckalew also engaged in self-mutilation behavior.

Dr. Kinsler told the court "the defendant can be rehabilitated" and that he supported the plan to place Buckalew at the Spring Lake Ranch for treatment.

Buckalew, with a short haircut and wearing black framed glasses, was dressed in a light brown suit. He was quiet and expressionless throughout the hearing. At the end of the hearing, he addressed the court saying, "It was a horrendous thing that I did -- what I did was appalling." He told the court, "I didn't think of the victim." Buckalew told the court: "I want to get help for my mental problems."

Just the way to start the day. Damn little wank

Default Re: Graveyard Bong

lol. It's that devils music I tell ya... Crazy kids.

ive heard of Dead Heads but DAMM LOL

Don't they sell skull bongs at the dollar store?

ya but its illegal to use real Human skulls ,
    they use other materials ,and animal skulls ..

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Just out of tired curosity I looked on ebay. You can get real medical skulls there for a few dollars. They don't even ask if your a medical student. Would have saved this guy some jail time.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

bah, just sentance him to smoke a J dipped in embalming flued from the body, and then spend the night in the mausoleum. Trust me, the corpse will get his packback.

The dead guy did not care that he had no head. They need to get over it. This prank hurt no one. Insensitive, stupid, and unnessisary, but harmless. We can't even say that about our president. 1 to 7 years! that is screwed up. They let murderers free and hang pranksters. What a great place this is.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah the victim is dead, hey I wouldn't have a problem with that, of course I'm not planning to leave any remains

I want to do tha federal body farm thing. Natural rot, no burn, no chemicals.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

oooh... those body farms are so interesting! id love to work in one, just to learn all the good gory stuff

Body Farm

Hey there Farmer Bob ,what ya grownin over yonder ,

Well ,i got's me a a body in a 56 Chevy just a ready to pop!

It takes all types of critters to make farmer John's fritters.

Mother Superior

When I was living in Maryland I met a friend who was keeping a secret from me. He had been convicted of robbing a grave a few years before. It was a grave of a little girl who had just been buried. I was more than shocked when I discovered what he had done.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    bah, just sentance him to smoke a J dipped in embalming flued from the body, and then spend the night in the mausoleum. Trust me, the corpse will get his packback.
    Is it scary that I agree more with this punishment than the jail/rehab time? that kid would never go near a cemetary again if they did this instead. embalming fluid is fucking burly. I've never done it, but I have heard all kinds of narly things about it. Like it's about a hunderd times worse than PCP.....

on another note, people in Vermont must be really bored.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

haha, did I say "packback"? I meant payback. I didn't catch that until just now.

hah packback?? weird.. but i guess it works if we knew what you were saying.. i didnt catch that either.
    but yeah... get him fucked and stick him in the tomb... itd work 100 times better than putting him in prison where he can learn a shitload of new and interesting ways to do bad things!

Prison: An education for the future.

heh yeah sad but true...

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Meh... everyone likes a lil' head every now
    and then, the kid was just looking to blow
    his mind with bit of skullcap action.

Sure he went about it the wrong way, I'm
    pretty positive he'll get plenty of bone smoking
    practice done during his term... he may be in
    Vermont, but that's NOT maple he's tasting.

Not to mention, he could end up with a domestic
    partnership out of the deal... all in all, might just
    be what he needed all along, it would have kept
    him busy and out of trouble from the start.

+ Reply to Thread