+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cristal Bites the Hand that Feeds and Gets Bit Back

Default Cristal Bites the Hand that Feeds and Gets Bit Back

So you've probably heard of Cristal. I personally have kinda middling tastes in champagne. The first time I had Dom Perignon was at my maternal grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. When it comes to Moet & Chandon, I actually prefer White Star. I'm a Philistine, I know. Lately, I've developed a taste for...
    Read the full article

Default Re: Cristal Bites the Hand that Feeds and Gets Bit Back

Perhaps Frederic Rouzaud cares little about endorsements from riffraff he may find distasteful, and that he knows due to the stature of the brand sales will not suffer to swiftly because of it. To him I say 'Hazzah! & good on you sir', a businessman who is not on totally on the cash-tit. If I owned a business I wouldn't want an endoresment from unsavory riff-raff either.

Interesting article, but I don't care much for Jay-z & Puff-daddy and such.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

So basically what Frederic Rouzaud is saying is that african americans can't be succesfull and cultured, qualities that he supposedly thinks are atrributed to consumers of his product. Since it's obvious this was not meant a s a critiscism of mr. Jay Z and such who obviously CAN afford it, this is pretty much a blatant racist remark.

On the other hand, jay z really hasn't done anything to improve the status of economically devalued individuals, and all he has done was cash in off of them by selling them the same mindset that mister fancy rich white man champagne is promoting.

So in a nutshell if you emulate people like Jay Z and Mr. Rouzaud and feel the need to spend exhorbiate amounts of money for a bottle of old fucking grape juice with bubbles in it, then you are a disgrace to your fellow humans and should be ashamed of yourself.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think promoting a message of economic success can in a capitalist environment can be inspiring to some people who may otherwise feel stuck at their current financial station. And yeah, perhaps flaunting financial waste is a silly way to show success, but it's easier than trying to communicate the overall power and opportunity one has when they have a substantial capitol base to work with. Sometimes a wealthy person buys ostentatious expensive things to show their status, much like a punk rocker might wear a painted up leather jacket, even when it's not that cold outside. It shows they are making a qualified effort to belong in whatever crowd they are choosing to associate with and are willing to make the appropriate sacrifices to do so. For better or worse, it's in our nature. The same pattern is evident throughout history, it's just the tokens and symbols that change from group to group. The problem is that members of some groups are really resistant when members of other groups cross over into theirs.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

the only reason it's expensive is because it's imported, bottles of Cristal and Dom Perrignon cost half as much in France as they do in the states. Plus you can get it at the local supermarket right next to the rotgut 2€ bottles. So yeah, monsieur Rouzaud is a fuckin racist, but, in that area of France, that's normal.

+ Reply to Thread