+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: do you think mel gibson meant what he said when he was driving drunk?

and your little dog too

Default do you think mel gibson meant what he said when he was driving drunk?

from usa today

Alcohol loosens tongue, but only Gibson knows true feelings

By Marilyn Elias, USA TODAY
    Science can give no firm answer on whether Mel Gibson believes the anti-Semitic remarks that were attributed to him after his DUI arrest, addiction experts say.
    "Alcohol is not a truth serum," says psychologist G. Alan Marlatt, director of Addictive Behaviors Research Center at University of Washington-Seattle. Because alcohol lowers inhibitions, it can lead people to say what they feel at the moment, Marlatt says. But in Gibson's case, "it may or may not indicate his true feelings."

Gibson's supposed rant about Jews does indicate that the topic has meaning to him, says addiction psychiatrist Bryon Adinoff of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. "Clearly, Jews are on his mind. He made The Passion of the Christ, and many reacted negatively to how Jews were depicted. Now we have a war going on in the Middle East. It's something that's on his mind, or it probably wouldn't come out when he had some alcohol," Adinoff says.

The remarks attributed to Gibson "could reflect pent-up frustration and anger at how his life has changed since he made the movie," says psychologist William Iacono of the University of Minnesota-Minneapolis. "People can lash out when they're drunk, and we don't know how deeply they believe what they're saying."

But Iacono says such remarks about Jews are unlikely to be random, "to come out of nowhere." Although science can't determine whether the star spoke what he felt, it's reasonable to think the remarks have some kernel of truth for Gibson, he says.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: do you think mel gibson meant what he said when he was driving drunk?

he probably meant it, of course us mere mortals have more important things on our minds when we get pulled over drunk

Default Re: do you think mel gibson meant what he said when he was driving drunk?

"antisemetic remarks"

hmmm, i wonder what he said...

"gee fellas, do ya think it's such a good idea to bomb the shit out of all those arabs?"

"this motzah is a little dry"

"WHERE THE HELL'S MY FORESKIN!!! WHAT A FUCKED UP TRADITION!!"

"I'm as Jewish as Tevya"

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

eh, drunk people are great.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Still my favourite drunk.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

"Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the police officer, "Are you a Jew?"
    The media is going ballistic about the anti-semitism, but rarely is it reported that he uttered sexist anti-women remarks to a police officer, calling her 'sugar tits', during the same incident."

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    "Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the police officer, "Are you a Jew?"
    The media is going ballistic about the anti-semitism, but rarely is it reported that he uttered sexist anti-women remarks to a police officer, calling her 'sugar tits', during the same incident."
    Good point. Mel Gibson appears to be, not only egregiously anti-Semitic, but solidly sexist and homophobic as well. I do think his anti-Semitism is much more extreme, but it is all pretty unattractive.

Yes, I think he meant it. As I said in a friend's LJ, I've been pretty hideously drunk, started fights, smashed things, etc., but I never broke out the racial insults. You tend to not say that kind of stuff unless you actually believe it.

i dunno, i love lying, and making the most ridiculous shit up when i'm drunk. telling strangers i'm a tugboat captian, trying to sell florida... it's all pretty obviously outrageous crap, and i'm always confounded when people believe me... i say it, don't mean a word of it, and don't believe it for a second.

i don't really think this is what gibson was doing mind you... i'm pretty sure he believes this stuff, but the whole argument 'if he said it he must believe it, even if it's just a little bit, or it wouldn't come out." i don't fully buy that. Bullshittting is fun.

as for his other comments, antisemetism, and racism in general, are more socially taboo, and shocking than sexism, or homophobia in our society... actually antisemetism is way more taboo than racism against dark skinned people... so those comments are going to get more play.

after all we have a society, and political climate today where giving lots of tax money to isreal to buy really advanced weapons to kill...er 'defend' with, yet women's reproductive rights, and civil rights for homosexuals are being legislated out of existence... you watch, if things continue on the way they are now even condoms will be outlawed, and sextoy shops will get bombed by zealous christian crusaders 'Every sperm is sacred'

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    It doesn't surprise me. I think he meant it.

OEC

do you think he'd reached the 4th, or 5th stage of drunkeness?

was he invisible yet, or just still plain old invincible?

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    do you think he'd reached the 4th, or 5th stage of drunkeness?

was he invisible yet, or just still plain old invincible?
    maybe somewhere between the two stage.

i hate everything mel gibson has done except mad max.

the road warrior is one of my all time favorite movies ever.

but yeah, he meant it.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I think he may not personally like jews but that the alcohol may have brought it out of him a little llouder than most people would like it. honestly, if this was anyone else, there would be no big deal aboiut it but because it is mel gibson, famous movie actor and now director of the successful passion fo the christ movie, the whole world is supposed to care.

I think part of the reason that it becomes an issue is because a lot of mouthbreathing middle America is celebrity-focused to an entirely unhealthy extreme. These people look to Hollywood stars as examples of fashion, attitude, etc. When one of the really famous ones starts saying really ridiculous hateful shit, not immediately quashing it results in a lot more mo-rons saying, "Hey, maybe that *is* okay!"

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    I think part of the reason that it becomes an issue is because a lot of mouthbreathing middle America is celebrity-focused to an entirely unhealthy extreme. These people look to Hollywood stars as examples of fashion, attitude, etc. When one of the really famous ones starts saying really ridiculous hateful shit, not immediately quashing it results in a lot more mo-rons saying, "Hey, maybe that *is* okay!"
    That's what I tend to worry about. For better or worse, Gibson has a voice.

OEC

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Personally, I believe the things said when one is intoxicated, and hence lacking inhibitions, one is more likely to say what they actually feel and think when they've had a few to drink. htink of it as a truth serum.

k

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

why is everyone going on about wether he's against whatever? He got nailed for drunk driving and it looks like they have a good case against him. I don't know about down there but up here it's easier to get away with murder than an impaired

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i dont really think any of it is worthy of the publisity its getting,,,
    2 months ago the head of the Oregon Liquor Control Comission (AKA liquor nazis) drove an oncoming car off the back end of the sellwood bridge with a BAL of 1.2 lol now THAT my friends is scandal!

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    I think part of the reason that it becomes an issue is because a lot of mouthbreathing middle America is celebrity-focused to an entirely unhealthy extreme.
    Very fucking true. it's liek the other dya at my now former workplace I saw the latest issue of some celebrag reading in big bold letters
    :POOR KATIE TRAPPED IN TOM CRUISES PRISON!

and All I could think was BOOFUCKINGHOO! it was her choice to be with the idiot and now she has to deal with him and his weird religion etc. celebrities are idiots. And yeah, mel gibson was awesome in braveheart and in lethal weapon but I would'nt wanna go to a synagoge with him after tying a few on.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    I think he may not personally like jews but that the alcohol may have brought it out of him a little llouder than most people would like it. honestly, if this was anyone else, there would be no big deal aboiut it but because it is mel gibson, famous movie actor and now director of the successful passion fo the christ movie, the whole world is supposed to care.

I don't care for ignorant bigotry at any volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    i dont really think any of it is worthy of the publisity its getting,,,
    2 months ago the head of the Oregon Liquor Control Comission (AKA liquor nazis) drove an oncoming car off the back end of the sellwood bridge with a BAL of 1.2 lol now THAT my friends is scandal!

That's awful, but it is comedy gold too. Got a link?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    That's awful, but it is comedy gold too. Got a link?
    heres this, im sure you could find a better article if you searched...
    im sure they all say different things too, some think she was a "respected member of the community" and all that. the Media is so unreliable...

I don't know if this was mentioned but: On the same day Gibson was arrested, a gunman went into a Seattle Jewish Center and fired on several people. One person was killed and at least six were injured.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp...5&nav=5Uand7pA

My point in mentioning this is that Gibson's remarks seem to have received more attention and public outcry. If true (it is too early to compare the number of stories on each), the media spectacle is even worse than it seems.

OEC

people should quit hatin' on Gibson, he's just hatin' on jews.

i know, force him to write 'jesus wuvs u' on artillery shells being lobbed at a-rabs for the isrealis until he's sorry.

i know, force him to write 'jesus wuvs u' on artillery shells being lobbed at a-rabs for the isrealis until he's sorry.

Israeli and Jewish are not the same thing and I'll reiterate that I don't care for bigotry, no matter who it is aimed at.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I don't know if this was mentioned but: On the same day Gibson was arrested, a gunman went into a Seattle Jewish Center and fired on several people. One person was killed and at least six were injured.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp...5&nav=5Uand7pA

My point in mentioning this is that Gibson's remarks seem to have received more attention and public outcry. If true (it is too early to compare the number of stories on each), the media spectacle is even worse than it seems.

OEC

For better or for worse, Mel Gibson is more likely to inspire copycats, so what he said actually, in terms of impact on the world, does matter more.

Mistress Abigail De'Ath's Avatar Junior Member

Oh, the shame! I apologise for Australia continually exporting our "finest".

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Abigail De'Ath

ooh, i think you more than make up for it.

For better or for worse, Mel Gibson is more likely to inspire copycats, so what he said actually, in terms of impact on the world, does matter more.
    I wish they would at least have superimposed the two. Hopefully, some other celebrities will slam him.

OEC

A lot of gentiles support Israel. A lot of jews are "anti-zionist".

OEC

OEC-this isn't about jews, isreal, or msnbc. it's about stupid shit mel gibson said while he was driving drunk.

i mean shit, along with his father he cofounded some church because the pope wasn't hardcore enough for them... wtf?

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

OEC-this isn't about jews, isreal, or msnbc. it's about stupid shit mel gibson said while he was driving drunk.

i mean shit, along with his father he cofounded some church because the pope wasn't hardcore enough for them... wtf?

damn.... thats hardcore

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Abigail De'Ath
    So true. I agree with you there. Makes me wonder if I should relocate.

The statements were about jews. You drew a connection with Israel. The Gibsons are loons, tho..

OEC

yeah which is so illogical, since there's no connection between jewish people and isreal.

gibson could have ranted about anything, it wasn't about jews, it was about a drunken mel gibson shooting off his mouth because he was a drunk asshole.

yeah which is so illogical, since there's no connection between jewish people and isreal.

gibson could have ranted about anything, it wasn't about jews, it was about a drunken mel gibson shooting off his mouth because he was a drunk asshole.
    He could have ranted about anything. He chose jews as his subject matter. You shouldn't be too surprised when people respond to the specific subject he raised. You are free to interpret the situation as he choose. Most folks here choose to deal with the specific subject.

OEC

He could have ranted about anything. He chose jews as his subject matter. You shouldn't be too surprised when people respond to the specific subject he raised. You are free to interpret the situation as you choose. Most folks here choose to deal with the specific subject. As to Israel, it is primarily a jewish state. Many jews do not support it, however.

OEC

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

I don't care for ignorant bigotry at any volume.

i quite agree.

YoungSoulRebel's Avatar Dexys Midnight Blunder

Of course he meant it. Now go be good little neo-cons and go watch that episode of South Park, The Passion of the Jew. It's all true. At least I hope it is. I think it airs again on Friday, I'll have to go check my Comcast guide.

+ Reply to Thread