+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you like fries with that?

Default Would you like fries with that?

How many people here have worked food service? Did you like it? Did you do it for long? Do you still do it?

Default Re: Would you like fries with that?

i worked as a dishwasher for years... god i hated my life... then i worked at a burger joint for about a year... god i really, really, really hated my life. then i worked at a couple of vegetarian places, as a cook, private vegetarian chef, etc... i worked 12 hours a day, 6 days a week at one place. man that sucked.

i finally quit.

about 10 years altogether.

if you read anthony bourdain's 'kitchen confidential', or watch 'hell's kitchen' with that fucker from england, you'll get the idea.

all of my friends who've done it agree we'd rather go homeless than deal with that shit again.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I worked in kitchens off and on for years. I like it, but it doesn't pay enough to be pissed off at waitresses that write fucked up tickets, having the guy on stove two be fucked up on something, possibly having a shitty boss, working with ass kissers that want your job, shit please don't get me started.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

as some know i was a baker for quite some time...

it was a nice deal,i went in whenever i wanted so long as i got everything ready by 5:30-60am...usually alone...often times id have a bottle of my favorite beverage and always loud ass music...

paid well too...but it had ti's share of problems...mostly due to me having some serious dreads at the time...dreads and food jobs can be one fuck of a hassle...

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    as some know i was a baker for quite some time...

it was a nice deal,i went in whenever i wanted so long as i got everything ready by 5:30-60am...usually alone...often times id have a bottle of my favorite beverage and always loud ass music...

paid well too...but it had ti's share of problems...mostly due to me having some serious dreads at the time...dreads and food jobs can be one fuck of a hassle...
    I had dreads too. I wore a big fucking hair net every shift. I still have it. It's the biggest hair net I've ever seen.....

yet another reason i work from home

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I had dreads too. I wore a big fucking hair net every shift. I still have it. It's the biggest hair net I've ever seen.....
    and they were magnificent ....

yea i once worked out a nice way of wearing a shower cap liek deal with a tam over it,so it looked a little better...but that didn't last long either...

(i miss my locks,dammit)

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    and they were magnificent ....

yea i once worked out a nice way of wearing a shower cap liek deal with a tam over it,so it looked a little better...but that didn't last long either...

(i miss my locks,dammit)
    and if I ever have long hair again, you can bet your ass I would let it get nappy all over again..... I still have all my old ones.... someone just told me how to put them back in. I'm not going to though.

hah...yup..mine are in a bathroom drawer...

and i also am determined to have another set...but the previous were like a calling card.." you know the dude with the dreads,and that giant one in the back the size of your fuckin' wrist?"....hah...

you could nit them back in to the new ones when that day arrives,or however people do it...they lock into the existing ones over some time...i've heard storied of good friends/couples trading a dread like that...

huh... trading dreads? LOL...

i still have one of mine... i plan on buring it, since it's a massive repository of evil forces...

never. never. never.

i'll live in a death house first, before i grow long hair, or work in a kitchen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    huh... trading dreads? LOL...
    yeah, I traded a dread with a good friend in portland.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I hate working food service. In a I'd rather set my pubes on fire with napalm than work in any sort of restaurant kind of way.

Mother Superior

I had my first job at 16. I worked at Arby's for 4 months, I couldn't take it. It wasn't so much the customers it was the crew leader. They didn't want to do shit but sidewalk supervise. I told them to get fucked and that THEY could do the dishes and walked out.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Taco bell was teh hell i was confined ot for too long. Fast food is evil.

However at the moment i'm technically in food service, as a dishwasher, and i'm actually happy with my station. no customers, no moronic questions, no one trying to grab my ass, or any other unplesentness. I get to wear clothes to work, and they stay on. When people ask what i do for a iiving i can tell them with out getting creative. Steady, consistant pay. I have my own domain, the scullery (webster's defines the room off the kitchen where dishes are washed, garbage is taken, things are stored, as a scullery) where i have my own cd player, and my own duities, that never change, and in a few weeks, a raise.

K

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I worked for both mcdonalds and burger king and hated it at both places. the pay is lousy for the amount of work you do at the rate you do it, you dont get free drinks or food and you go home smelling like french fries all over. the only bonus to mcdonalds was when noone was looking, I used ot sneak a few chicken mcnuggets and wrapped em in that fatass cheese they got. shhhhhhh.....

autumn's Avatar Member

yeah I worked as a hostess and busgirl in 2000 at TGI Fridays for 8 months. I hated it and said I would never do it again but last year I worked as a to go girl in a mexican restaurant for about 8 months.I don't plan to work in another restaurant ever again.

vulfgrl's Avatar Tainted

I worked at Wendy's for a day and 1/2. When the manager picked up a hamburger from the floor and put it back on the bun, that was about it for me.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

aw sick... hah floor burger... THE FIVE SECOND RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO FOOD SERVICE!!!!
    yeah i work at little caesars pizza... its actually not so bad. some of the jobs suck, its WAY too hot in there in the summer, i make shitty minimum wage, but the people i work with make it all worth it. theyre way cool
    heh... for the longest time (and STILL DOOOO *hint hint voldta ) i wanted to dread my hair, cause it was SO hard to brush and i was just sick of it... i think my boss would be okay with having it dreaded at work, i would tie it up and everything REAL good... wear one of them rainbow bob marley caps and everything hehe... (id wear one anyway those things are awesome! mushroom head )
    yeah id only be working there another 3 months or so anyways...
    THATS IT I DECIDED RIGHT NOW IM DREADING MY HAIR!!!!! its REALLY nice and long right now, still ratty and shitty at the ends (i figure perfect for dreading hahaa) and um... yeah go dreadies
    anyone know of a site that jamies hairdresser sister could learn to do my dreads from??

hehee sorry i thought this thread was sposed to be about food service...
    pizza anyone??

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I have worked many of the most loathsome food service jobs, including bussing at a college cafeteria and at an Italian restaurant, the latter of which would make us clock out between rushes in order to pay us less than minimum wage.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I haven't worked in fast food but I have worked as a dishwasher in a pretty high end place. (Indigo in Cincinnati maybe some of you have heard of it?) Anyway I really loved that job, I was able to stay to myself, listen to whatever music I wanted nice and loud, the work was cake, and the best part is often the waiters and waitresses at the end of the night would hook me up with some nice tips just for doing a good job.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

I'm currently a dishwasher / floor cleaner at a local bakery. The most I've done out front of the shop is take four coffees to a table when it was extremely busy, but they wouldn't have needed me there if they would just fucking organise themselves a bit better.

I used to work at a fast food place, thankfully there was no drive thru because I don't like facing people as arrogant as myself when it comes to dealing with people via a staticy loudspeaker.
    But, yeah, I didn't mind that job... but only when I was working with three of the people there out of the fifteen or so staff they had. Three of them were my friends, which made it easier, but I still hated it.

The first month of me working there, they threw me in the deep end. Opening shop every Sunday morning at 7, working alone cooking / cleaning / serving customers out front / dealing with pissed off people buying expensive fuel... and I had the lunch shift alone too, which meant getting aaaaaaalllll the hungover people coming in and ordering five tons of food. Expecting it there and then.

I got fired from the job, but I never found out why because the way I found out was by picking up a roster without my name on it.

I went by there the other night with my boyfriend and we ordered a single seafood basket (you know - a bag of fish and stuff that you only have to deep fry)... it took them 35 minutes to prepare.

So, in the end, I'm fed up with working with food in general, I'd rather eat glass, and it pisses me right off that I got fired for less than that (them taking 35 minutes to cook a seafood basket). Oh, did I mention the pressure sucks ass? Fuck that.

By the way, I'm really tired. Probably should have read this thread when I was feeling a bit fresher and more awake, huh?

Poppy's Avatar Member

My step family has owned a resurant the whole time I have known them. They even owned one in Thailand, they are all thai after all. It was great to work for them. It wasn't to fast and my uncle rocked. He was real layed back and always made sure I made at least 30 bucks a shift even if we only had 2 tables. I miss working for him lots.

I also worked at Johnny Carino's, with my current boyfriend, that was a big mistake. We never saw each other but at work and he was a prick about things being perfect at work. Then there was Satan, a manager who liked to fuck everything up for me. I swore that I would never go back..... But who just got a new job at an asian dinner? Me the dummy....

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

ick poppy i hope that one works out better...
    yeah i like working at little caesars, but i could really see how it would totally fucking suck working food serivice... i HATE working cash on the really busy shifts, especially when this one FREAKING impatient woman comes in... i swear, people KNOW when shes gonna come in, so they come in and buy all 5 hot and ready pizzas just before she comes in, so she sits there and bitches at whoever is on cash that "theyre sposed to be hot and ready... ready now... ready all the time whenever i want it" i swear one day... someone is just gonna flip out on her... and im honestly hoping its me haha (ill probly only be working there another 3 months or so cause of baby coming) i want it to be my last day working there, and i wanna be like "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU IMPATIENT FUCK!!!! OTHER PEOPLE BUY PIZZA TOO!!! AND IT ONLY TAKES 7 FUCKING MINUTES TO GO THRU THE OVEN!! FUCK OFF AND WAIT A FEW MINUTES AND SHUT UP!!!" AHH she pisses me off.

oh yeah and ihate doing phones when people havent already decided what theyre gonna order, and they turn around and ask the whole family what kind of shit they want on their pizza WHILE theyre on the phone with me. total waste of time :S jeez...

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

i worked at a barbecue restaurant called Famous Dave's.

i had to call myself "famous sara".

i didn't make it to waitress. i did expo, busing, and hostess. the things i saw... ohhh, the things i saw.

i remember getting tipshare the day after i worked though, for hostessing, getting $28 after valentine's day in addition to the $5.50 an hour i made (!) and thinking how much i loved the cash-in-hand thing.

then i became a dancer. i have never looked back.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Sara X
    i worked at a barbecue restaurant called Famous Dave's.

i had to call myself "famous sara".

i didn't make it to waitress. i did expo, busing, and hostess. the things i saw... ohhh, the things i saw.

i remember getting tipshare the day after i worked though, for hostessing, getting $28 after valentine's day in addition to the $5.50 an hour i made (!) and thinking how much i loved the cash-in-hand thing.

then i became a dancer. i have never looked back.
    Hey, Famous Sara, what is expo?

+ Reply to Thread