+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone cook?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default anyone cook?

im a cooker, I like to spend hours in the kitchen cooking, its relaxing... I have a ton of cook books, but I use THIS site alot. It's a good one. And you can start a recipe box, mine is pretty extensive.

Im making this tonight..yum

Mother Superior

Default Re: anyone cook?

I love to cook and try new recipes. Once you get all the spices & seasonings, hehe, you won half the battle.

true, in fact like a month ago I went to the store and I bought every single spice and everything I could possibly think I could use for baking, I was gonna try a bunch of new recipes and give all my baked stuff away as gifts to all of my friends and family (you can only eat so much lol) so I spent about $100 on all these herbs and seasonings and spices and whatnot.

So I got home and was getting ready to make cookies, and got partway through and realized...no sugar...shit...so i go BACK to the store and get sugar. I get back and continue on my happy little baking spree and realized..no effing eggs! so I quit, lol I said screw it and I have a crap ton of spices in there still, I havent really baked since lol.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I seem to be the only male here in the shithole town that likes to cook. I can never get enough curry or lemon pepper. Those are like my top 2 shelp spices.

mine have to be, garlic and curry

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i cook a few things, but im not really into it that much. At least im better than half the people i know that couldnt cook anything to save thier lives and subsust solely on fast food and frozen pizza.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

omg like a week before i found out i was pregnant i got a letter saying i was accepted into my baking course at vancouver community college... i was so fucking excited... i get to learn how to make everything from cookies to wedding cakes in these 2 baking courses i signed up for, then after that i was gonna find a coolass bakery to work in and specialize in doing wedding cakes... (drool) and was gonna go back to VCC to take a year long culinary arts course, and a 6 month asian culinary arts course, mainly just for me haha... i totally lost my interest in working in a kitchen, but being a baker i would TOTALLY love. <3

who wants pie??

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

mmmm cherry pie? (get your mind outta the gutter)

for some one who wasn't allowed in the kitchen till she got one of her own, i love to cook. lemon pepper, garlic, rosemary, oregano, garlic.

to quote a friend "You season your food like a smoker, too much garlic, too much pepper, too much rat poison."

We all know i bake like crazy, but none of you have ever had my lemon chicken and wild rice. yummy. oooh or my perogies and shrimp.

i love ot experiment.

what are you making?

a mess? i dunno yet, come backe in 20 minutes and i'll let you taste it.

K

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

I do most of the cooking around
    here... not to say Muse's cooking
    doesn't rock... but she's the busy
    one and I do the shopping anyhow,
    so I plan everything out at the cart
    while going down the aisles.

After spending three years in a
    certain cooking school's traveling
    ACF paid apprenticeship program
    (one year stateside and two abroad)
    to archive an AOS degree, I don't
    mind cooking at home but had burnt
    out doing it professionally.

As far as following a recipe, nope.
    Measure ingredients, nope.
    I tend to use quite a bit of white
    pepper, fresh garlic, a sachet d'epices
    on occasion... and whatever else
    I happen to have.

MmmCherry, remember as soon as
    you have your kid I'll express ship you
    my mud bug, prawn and andouille
    jambalaya packed in dry ice... hehehe,
    so you can not only get your grub on
    (and don't have to just talk about it)
    AND build your dry ice bombs for
    after dinner entertainment.

I'm a kitchen freak too
    I like to experiment lots with food... lately I'm doing some strange hunter's recepies somtime... there's a store with every possible kind of meat that's possible to buy and I come by from time to time

last good meal I had... deer gulasch yesterday still have some left

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    im a cooker, I like to spend hours in the kitchen cooking, its relaxing... I have a ton of cook books, but I use THIS site alot. It's a good one. And you can start a recipe box, mine is pretty extensive.

Im making this tonight..yum
    sweet and simple... di you tryed to wrap whole chicken in metal foil?
    if you close it in good then you'll get crispy skin and safty meat... it keeps all water in so it doesn't dry out when in oven

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    sweet and simple... di you tryed to wrap whole chicken in metal foil?
    if you close it in good then you'll get crispy skin and safty meat... it keeps all water in so it doesn't dry out when in oven
    i put it in a really small square pan then wrapped it all in foil...it was super tasty
    and fresh green beans with mushrooms, and baked potatoes and garlic bread...
    it was so good..mmm imma have some leftovers

I like paprika quite a lot. Garlic too. I went to the farmers market on sunday and bought a whole bunch of basil. Tonight I'm making a huge batch of basil pesto. I'll put pesto on anything.

The taste of balsamic vinegar is a flavor straight from tit of the goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    I like paprika quite a lot. Garlic too. I went to the farmers market on sunday and bought a whole bunch of basil. Tonight I'm making a huge batch of basil pesto. I'll put pesto on anything.

The taste of balsamic vinegar is a flavor straight from tit of the goddess.
    mmm goddess tit vinegar

Mother Superior

The original vinegar tits.. Vera Bennett. Prisoner Cell Block H ruled.

Who the hell is that?

Mother Superior

Prisoner Cell Block H... it was an Australian series that began in the late 70's. It used to come on after Benny Hill. The inmates called her "vinegar tits".

i preferr lemon juice to vineger. but then i really like lemons. it muts the flavor of the rat poison.

k

Mother Superior

I am going to bake some orange-cranberry muffins. Cooking Light has a great recipe for them. You add coconut milk and they are so moist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    I am going to bake some orange-cranberry muffins. Cooking Light has a great recipe for them. You add coconut milk and they are so moist.

i'ma let you in on my muffin secret. when the recipe calls for "softened" butter, MELT it. make it liquid. when the time is up on the muffins in the oven they'll be so soft light and fluffy you'll think they're not done yet. they are. trust me. my lemon spice cake muffins and my bananna nut muffins come out perfect every time.

K

Poppy's Avatar Member

My family owns a restaurant so as soon as they trusted me I was in the kitchen. Once I got old enough to actully work not just cut veggies to pass the time, I started waiting tables. The funny part of it all was that I was a little white blonde girl in a Thai place.....Haha.... They may be my stepfamily but I love 'em!

kshearsedriver's Avatar resident nut

the damned mice chewed up the wires to the control ciruit in my oven, now i can't do any baking 'til it gets fixed you can hear the furry little bastards in there and the cats can't reach them ...... and i want a big batch of biscuits and gravy...oh and some garlic/cheddar scones...and and and and well doesn't matter anyway gotta get the oven fixed first

autumn's Avatar Member

I'm a cooker. I have tons of recipes! I also use a site vegweb. I think Indian food is by far my favorite!

Amaltheas_Attic's Avatar Member

I am! I also grow my own chives, parsley, basil and oregano. I love having that smell in the kitchen all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Amaltheas_Attic
    I am! I also grow my own chives, parsley, basil and oregano. I love having that smell in the kitchen all the time
    i love marjoram, it smells like christmas

ARRRRGH speaking of cooking... perfect time for this thread to be ressurected hehe...
    okay so i got a letter from my college of choice saying i had a seat if i want it in one of the 10 month baking courses i signed up for. i REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do it, but by the time it starts, my kid will only be 5 months old... and... urgh... i cant postpone the course any longer cause i already did that once... they only give you one chance to do it. if i didnt go for it, i would only be losing out on the 30 dollar registration fee i paid months ago when i finally got off my ass and registered haha... (then got the first letter saying i was in, and a week later i found out i was pregnant... grr.)

hmmmmm should i do it or not? i would definitely have to see if i could find a pretty much permanent babysitter for the 6 hours or whatever a day im gone... starting at like probably 5:30 AM when id have to leave the house... (haha that ALONE discourages me... EW MORNINGS!!) then i would have to go back to work on weekends anyways, cause i would need money for the transit there and back... dammit 3 zone adult fare bus pass is like 180 bucks a fucking month
    ahhhh... i wanna do it... so bad... help!

Do you have a grandparent who can babysit?

Nonamepunk's Avatar Hip-Hop Anonymous

I love cooking... i am a master of the breakfast arts..

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

I am not much on cooking. I cook very little. I eat so many fried foods its sad too . . . .

I'm slowly learning to cook from my mother.

I wanna make gumbo really bad, but my mothers is horrid. So I need to pester someone else about that . . . .

Okay, I suck in the kitchen haha

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    ARRRRGH speaking of cooking... perfect time for this thread to be ressurected hehe...
    okay so i got a letter from my college of choice saying i had a seat if i want it in one of the 10 month baking courses i signed up for. i REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do it, but by the time it starts, my kid will only be 5 months old... and... urgh... i cant postpone the course any longer cause i already did that once... they only give you one chance to do it. if i didnt go for it, i would only be losing out on the 30 dollar registration fee i paid months ago when i finally got off my ass and registered haha... (then got the first letter saying i was in, and a week later i found out i was pregnant... grr.)

hmmmmm should i do it or not? i would definitely have to see if i could find a pretty much permanent babysitter for the 6 hours or whatever a day im gone... starting at like probably 5:30 AM when id have to leave the house... (haha that ALONE discourages me... EW MORNINGS!!) then i would have to go back to work on weekends anyways, cause i would need money for the transit there and back... dammit 3 zone adult fare bus pass is like 180 bucks a fucking month
    ahhhh... i wanna do it... so bad... help!

Well......yeah, it depends on how much time you will have to devote to it. I can pretty much tell you that you wont want to be gone working or going to school fulltime. Parttime will be more than enough. And yeah it depends if someone can babysit or not

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

If we had better cooking equip. I would cook more....but right now I stick to experimenting with eggs, and the like....just simple stuffs.

I really want to go to a tech college for cooking...'cause I ain't got the money for an actual culinary arts school.

I love cooking, actually. Except for baking. Usually I can do cookies but not usually most bready things.

Most of the things I cook come off of Good Eats. If you don't know the show and you consider yourself even a little bit of a foodie, do yourself a favor and watch some episodes.

Amaltheas_Attic's Avatar Member

I just started learning to make bread really well, that's a lot of fun. I'm trying to get a good recipie collection to experiment with through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaltheas_Attic
    I just started learning to make bread really well, that's a lot of fun. I'm trying to get a good recipie collection to experiment with through the winter.

go here

mmmm food... yeah i dont have grandparents living in vancouver that would be able to babysit... i would have to find someone that would do it. my cousin would do it though, she used to be a professional nanny, but then again i dont have the money to pay her for it...
    and yeah it would be full time i think. well at least in the sense that its an every day class, even if it is just a few hours a day... but i think its a regular 6 hour course every day heh... im still not 100% sure on that one.
    VCC (vancouver community college) is a college actually, i never actually wanted to go to a real culinary arts school, cause theyre bloody expensive, yeah, and i would rather learn how to make real food, not just like 80$ a plate cupcake sized "dinners" and shit like that... heh i never had any interest in that. all the food we cook in the culinary arts programs at VCC is used in the cafeteria, and its REAL food. fuckin tasty chinese food too, from the asian culinary arts course...

http://www.vcc.ca/programs/detail.cf..._PROGRAM_ID=16

theres the baking course i have a seat in now if i choose to go...

http://www.vcc.ca/programs/detail.cf...PROGRAM_ID=143

then i would be taking only the second half of this one afterwards, because the beginning of both courses is the same... if theres room, they let people enter into the course halfway, and bonus, i would only have to pay for the part that i take hehe...

http://www.vcc.ca/programs/detail.cf...M_PROGRAM_ID=8

this is the asian culinary arts program... i might just take this for fun someday, just to learn how to cook wicked food... yummy...

http://www.vcc.ca/programs/detail.cf..._PROGRAM_ID=40

and this is the culinary arts program... i was gona take this one too, and be a chef, but i think i decided on pastry chef instead, it interests me more, but i might stil take this one for fun. (even tho its a full 12 month course... ahhh...)

so yeah. i still dont know. ill probably end up doing it later though. who knows.
    heh sorry for totally hijacking this thread btw... but it was a cooking thread heh!

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I love to cook, unfortunately, when I do, it becomes a huge argument. Cause my kids are pickier than...

A welfare mom, getting her monthly Cheese, and going ot Walmart ot get a little something something.

I haven't taken any classes yet, but its my major. Its relaxing, unless a recipe fails. Just my opinion and its very simple, if you put Lawry's Seasoned Salt on the Cheeesburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper it'll be one of the greatest things you ever eat.

+ Reply to Thread