+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian/Vegan love

autumn's Avatar Member

Default Vegetarian/Vegan love

So I was wondering who on the boards was veg?

Default Re: Vegetarian/Vegan love

Vegetarian here.

Zombie_Fatale's Avatar Senior Member

I'm semi-veg

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

used to be, now only when I'm starving

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

for the longest time a couple years ago eating meat would make me feel sick as hell... so... i was... but i couldnt survive being a vegan without my cheese!!

sometimes im lactose intolerant... i dunno how this shit happens, but once in awhile, milk will make me sick. but then like a week later im fine... :S so wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    sometimes im lactose intolerant... i dunno how this shit happens, but once in awhile, milk will make me sick. but then like a week later im fine... :S so wtf.
    same thing here..
    --------
    I was raised as meat-eating person, but now I can hardly stand it.. It just doesn't taste nice for mye anymore..
    but I do eat fish and shrimp..
    I can not be vegan - what whould I do without my sushi?!

im startin to be almost 1/2 and 1/2 any more ,its like 2 days a week i will try meat ?? wierd ya but i never claimed to be normal ..

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

i wonder where this "sometimes lactose intolerant" random shit comes from?? im tempted to look that up, but... i just want a popcicle instead!!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_Fatale
    same thing here..
    --------
    I was raised as meat-eating person, but now I can hardly stand it.. It just doesn't taste nice for mye anymore..
    but I do eat fish and shrimp..
    I can not be vegan - what whould I do without my sushi?!
    Ditto. excataly. Meat for hte most part makes me feel icky for a day or three when i do eat it. cheese i'm okay with, i can eat my paychecks worth in raw fish

K

burgers for me

*edit* soon as i left this thread i popped open yahoo and this article was on the front page.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/...cans_eating_dc

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

i love animals, so much i eat them

mmmmm

i wonder where this "sometimes lactose intolerant" random shit comes from?? im tempted to look that up, but... i just want a popcicle instead!!
    no idea of reasons..
    I was heavily lactose intolerant in the childhood - and now I just don't drink it. at all...
    there're just better things in the world - like coffee

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Actually, that's pretty normal. As I understand it, lactose intolerance comes from having an insufficient supply of the right enzymes to break down milk products. Not *no* enzymes, but not enough enzymes.

I used to have the same problem as you, but now I simply always take lactase pills with anything dairy and I never have to wonder whether I'm going to regret eating or drinking whatever the dairy product is.

autumn's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    i love animals, so much i eat them

mmmmm
    I didn't ask who eats animals, I asked who doesn't. Ok?
    For the record, I am vegetarian

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

i'm not really a racist, I only hate some ethnic groups.

seriously though, there is no gray area. you either think that non-humans exist soley for your subjegation or you don't. If you don't, then you can't rationalize or justify it. if you do you can't rationalize or justify it either, but you can at least take a non-hypocrtical stance and just say that you don't care.

also for the record, I don't like using the word "animal", that's why I use the word "non-human". when people use that word they are refering to a condition of biological organism as if it does not apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    i'm not really a racist, I only hate some ethnic groups.

seriously though, there is no gray area. you either think that non-humans exist soley for your subjegation or you don't. If you don't, then you can't rationalize or justify it. if you do you can't rationalize or justify it either, but you can at least take a non-hypocrtical stance and just say that you don't care.

I tend to see a lot of things fairly binary, but not this particular issue actually.

Sometimes you can think a system sucks but not see a viable way out of it.

I decided I wanted to be a vegetarian when I was 7 or 8. My parents said absolutely not and I've always been likely to do as they told me.

By the time I was 16 and making my own choices about what I was going to eat, I found that I was just a lot happier and higher-functioning on a very high protein diet, when I could afford it. Weight lifter shakes tend to make me ill. I'm very lactose intolerant and have mild intolerances for all beans and really only like a couple anyway. I have a history of anaphalactic allergies in my family.

I actually do feel bad about eating animals. But I feel like, if it is me or them, I'm altruistic, but I'm not that altruistic. I have much respect, however, for anyone who can be and chooses to be vegetarian in a healthy, balanced, functional way.

who do you know that lives in a healthy balanced functional way period?

who do you know that lives in a healthy balanced functional way period?
    I do, at least in the sense I meant it.

I think that, if someone is eating an all Doritos and sherbert diet or something and they are grouchy and function way below their baseline capabilities, then I would say that is unhealthy, unbalanced, and low-functioning. I've definitely known vegetarians who did this, but I've also known people who really got into their combining plant proteins and such.

I don't know. but from now on all I am going to buy is rice ramen and beans. I can get free bread, and I can pick/ dumpster dive produce. also this way if I want to spend five dollars a week, I have an additional dollar that I can spend on something else. it seems like a pretty good way to go.

I don't know. but from now on all I am going to buy is rice ramen and beans. I can get free bread, and I can pick/ dumpster dive produce. also this way if I want to spend five dollars a week, I have an additional dollar that I can spend on something else. it seems like a pretty good way to go.

I've put away more than my fair share of ramen over the years. Can't eat the stuff any more really, but, damn, that is like the best-tasting thing in the universe when you are really hungry.

I hope you won't mind my adding this, but I kind of wish more people had mentioned that to me when I was eating more ramen than was good for me. If you want to live off the land, that is your choice, but you seem really intelligent and capable, so keep in mind that it is a choice and you can choose something else if it starts to hurt too much.

Funny thing is that I really like the stuff, and I used to eat it all the time when I was a kid and my folks would buy me any food that I wanted. There's just something so American about that and macaroni and cheese. food that costs less than a dollar, and you can cook it in a microwave and it's ready to eat in three minutes.

I guess I'm going off topic here, but ya know I suppose that recipes for aspiring poor vegetarians might be useful to some. it just makes me think of these guys that cook up soup, throw a bunch of vegetables in some water, season it, cook for 30 minutes, it's tasty, filling and healthy, and you can feed around 100 people for 20 bucks that way. it's just a different approach to the European ideals of cuisine.

I am a vegi too. I don't eat fish or anything but, I love cheese and butter.

Mmmm cinnamon toast!

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    I am a vegi too. I don't eat fish or anything but, I love cheese and butter.

Mmmm cinnamon toast!
    i never knew small frightened children were not considered meat. hrm interesting.

^ Lol

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    burgers for me

*edit* soon as i left this thread i popped open yahoo and this article was on the front page.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/...cans_eating_dc
    I'm disposing of my leather products. Would you be interested? I'm size 10 shoes, have a Medium leather, and a few other items. It's a personal choice for me. I think you have to begin where people are with animal rights to make progress. Message me if you want the threads. May not be on as much given my schedule.

OEC

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i think of fish as sea veggies. granted i'm not the strictest of veggie eaters but you won't catch me eating cow or pig or foul. Just fish and seawed and fruits and veggies, the occasional cheese, Sushi becasue man cannot live by soy alone..

When I bake you'll catch me using cow milk and real butter because it cooks better than the soy stuff does. That's chemistry for you. You can't substitute these things and have it come out right.

K

Funny thing is that I really like the stuff, and I used to eat it all the time when I was a kid and my folks would buy me any food that I wanted. There's just something so American about that and macaroni and cheese. food that costs less than a dollar, and you can cook it in a microwave and it's ready to eat in three minutes.

I guess I'm going off topic here, but ya know I suppose that recipes for aspiring poor vegetarians might be useful to some. it just makes me think of these guys that cook up soup, throw a bunch of vegetables in some water, season it, cook for 30 minutes, it's tasty, filling and healthy, and you can feed around 100 people for 20 bucks that way. it's just a different approach to the European ideals of cuisine.
    we got a group of kids here that every friday ,rain ,shine snow ,dont matter ,they make alot of veggie meals ,,i mean big pots and stuff and feed the mutitudes at the main metro bus station here ,,i give them money to help when i can ,, if all peeps children were like them,,, sigh ,,, make ya think aay???

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

I only really eat chicken . . . and fish sometimes.
    Thats it, and I do feel horrid sometimes when I eat it. Especially because we raised chickens when I was younger and I remember my dad killing them, he killed my favorite one.

But, I love chicken so much. I'm so torn -.-

OEC- im all up for animal rights of course and love of the animal...but then on the other hand i grew up on meat and potatos kinda system so anything else i cant get used to ( i tried)

trust me i cry when i eat burgers...well..maybe not because its animals im eating but the onions in the burger.

but are genetically raised cattle (its what i usually buy) real cattle? when i was a kid i always thought it was the "safe" meat because i thought it was fake...so i still think my burgers are artifical none real cows. it makes me feel better.

also i'd be interested in the leather as i lost my wilsons one with all my buttons on it two years ago...but im afraid the shoes i cant wear as im a size 12.

oh yea.. spongebob is veggie too now.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html

but are genetically raised cattle (its what i usually buy) real cattle? when i was a kid i always thought it was the "safe" meat because i thought it was fake...so i still think my burgers are artifical none real cows. it makes me feel better.
    just give it 15 years till there is no more vegetation in the amazon. then mcdonalds will start selling soy burgers.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

OEC- im all up for animal rights of course and love of the animal...but then on the other hand i grew up on meat and potatos kinda system so anything else i cant get used to ( i tried)

trust me i cry when i eat burgers...well..maybe not because its animals im eating but the onions in the burger.

also i'd be interested in the leather as i lost my wilsons one with all my buttons on it two years ago...but im afraid the shoes i cant wear as im a size 12.

oh yea.. spongebob is veggie too now.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html
    I'm interested in anyone into animal rights (including meat eaters). To convince people, you have to start with things as they stand. Factory farms, experimentation. I don't think eating meat or hunting is where the action is right now.

Anyways, I'll keep going thru my stuff. Let's work something out. I have no problem putting this stuff to use.

OEC

i'm not a vegetarian because i love animals, i'm a vegetarian because i hate vegetables....

some random veggie quote.

actually i'm mostly, mostly vegan... i like bee foods, pollen mostly. i know my bee keepers, so i feel okay about how they treat the bees.

my body rebels at the thought of dairy.

i mostly stay away from the political stuff, and slapping my dietary veiws around on other folks these days because i've become far too bitter about such things, and it never seemed to help anyway.

i do feel that for people who care about the planet, adopting a careful veggie diet, or mostly veggie diet is one of the best things they can do for the environment. just google the environmental effects of factory farming, and global meat prodtuction (visa vis water usage, grain for feed, soil depletion by overgrazing etc.)

there are alternatives, even for people who require higher protien intakes. it does take some dedication...

*sigh* anyway...

Chaotika's Avatar Fetish Bunny

the only meat I eat X-rated

Chaotika's Avatar Fetish Bunny

also for the record, I don't like using the word "animal", that's why I use the word "non-human". when people use that word they are refering to a condition of biological organism as if it does not apply to them.
    I love you
    I refer to "non-human" creatures as "other animals" and have been since I was itty bitty and I don't care if it pisses anyone off

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

for many years....

So, I am not a vegitarian, and see no reason for me to be. I don't disrespect those who are. except my sister and well, there is no escaping that. However, since I got a bunch of vegies in one place I might as well put ya to use.

We had a guest out this way who was vegan. There was a BBQ and I decided to make something vegan so they would have something to eat besides whatever compress veggie patty they were trying to pass off as meat. Then I realized something.

I was born in the mid west, and spent enough time to ingrain certian habits. Everything I tried to make got hung up on butter, cheese or eggs. I was at a total loss. I never realized how built in to my habits that was.

So where does a non vegan go to find tasty vegan recipes?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i love meat...it makes me happy
    I just don't feel like im eating a real meal unless there's meat in it

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

I only eat vegetarians.

Im sorry, but that always pisses me off. when people who eat meat or pollute the environment in wasteful excess or buy slave labor goods, yadda yadda say to me, "well, I respect your choice and you should respect mine". when your viewpoint involves forcing it upon others, then how is it a choice?. it's your choice, not the one's who you exploit. I don't care if you disrespect me, I'm not the one that's going to be tortured and mutilated for you.

+ Reply to Thread