+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me identify this

Default Help me identify this

While going to get my trashcan from the frontyard after they picked it up, i was greeted by this fucker who scared the bejesus out of me. So i snapped a photo because ive never seen this one before, and was wondering if it was poisonus, etc etc. He later died from my spesticide sprayer because i absolutley dont like spiders of any kind.

He was maybe about 4 inches in length from top to bottom. And his web i tried to take down with a stick but the damn thing was so sticky and strong that it just snapped back into place like a guitar string. It took me 4 times and finally a burning stick to get it down. *shudder*

Default Re: Help me identify this

okie.. its apparently called a Golden Orb Weaver and not very toxic to humans and their trademark is their zigzag webs in the middle and how they hang downwards in the center. They also eat their web when they are done with it. Doesnt mean i like them any less though!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

got a bud whos got one that set up shop right over top his 'plants'...

certainly some spook fuckers...

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

why couldnt you just put it in an old container and let it go in a bush down the street?

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    why couldnt you just put it in an old container and let it go in a bush down the street?
    because im afraid of spiders. Specially ones i dont know about. And ones that look like they can kill me if i get too close. And i dont have a empty jar.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

I'm quite the same. I'm fascinated by them, but they scare the piss out of me.

A few weeks ago I walk outside & saw this big ass spider. During the day however, he was never outside, so my father would not believe me

Now, there is like 4 of them outside, if I see anymore, I'm gonna cry. haha

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

my entire house is covered in spiders....i swear they set up camp in the walls or somthing...i've grown not to care as long as i don't see them....and when i do,they die...

and there's a legendary story of Human vs Spider battle when it comes to the bathroom...

I've been awaiting a second volley of fangs for awhile...maybe my recent preimminent strikes have discouraged further aggression...

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

yuck...i fuckin hate spiders
    id rather hang out with cockroaches

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

MY GOD WHY WOULD YOU PUT THAT PICTURE UP!?!!! AHHHH!! that is fucking nasty.
    and sounds huge! god... why... why in the HELL were spiders invented. EWW!!!

Nonamepunk's Avatar Hip-Hop Anonymous

Spiders kick ass.......I used to own a rose haired Taranchula....how i miss mr. diggs.....

Mother Superior

I have talks with my spiders. They get warnings before they get an ear toss. I am not pro-spider neither am I anti-spider. When I find an unusually stubborn one, I remove it into the garden. LaVey said something once that struck a nerve with me... it's not a word for word statement but he said something to this effect: "A spider is just being the best spider it can be". In other words, they can't help people are frightened of them just because of their appearance. They are just trying to survive. People have phobias and I understand that completely.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I nearly walked into one of those webs when I was living in Oklahoma. A friend and I were walking along through some woods near our house. I was talking to my friend and turned to look in front of me and the spider was literally a couple of inches from my nose. About the size of the spider in your picture. My friend and I spent the next half hour throwing ants into the web and watching it spin them in web and eat them. I found a praying mantis and threw it on the spiders web. The mantis knocked the spider off of the web and then got free.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

EEEK!

Unfortunatly with the fact that i'm less creeped out by creepy crawlies of the eight legged varity I would be the one sent to do battle with it. Armed with a gas mask and noxious spider remover the sucker would say his prayers and get a nice funeral pyre.

Out here we have a tendancy to get Wolf Spiders. They can get as big as a dessert plate. Big black and white fuckers. Mom likes the tell the story of how she stepped on one once to crush it and it pushed back!

Rob says it looks like the bannana spiders we get around here.

I hate spiders. But I'd rather deal with the occasional spidey than cockroaches. back a few years ago, before I left my parents', durring the summer of the great fires roach nearly as big as my hand crawled down the shower head one afternoon resulting in the "Daddy it's got too many legs!" scream that can be heard across the street. Hooray for Daddy!

Spiders eat the more pesky flying bugs like skeeters and flies etc and one or two is fine to have around. Used to have a brown recluse that lived behind hte flour jar. He moved out though as we had no house bugs for him to eat.

K

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

in grade three I did a report on spiders and that was one of them, of course I forget the name and everything but I do remeber that it's common and not poisonous.....sorry

ya the golden orb,,,commonly know as the garden spider ,these babys get HUGE and do really good with garden pest and other bugs, some peeps say their good luck .

and a Rose Haired Tarantula ,is that like a Pink toe Tanantula?? mite be the same family,, man i seen 1 ,and wanted one for some long..

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Never tryst anything with a larger tooth-to-head size greater than your own. Also, never trust anything that has more eyes than you.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

ahhhh Roaches.

I dont even want to think about them. They are all over the place.
    I especially hate the ones that FLY. lajdf;adjfa;dfjad;fjdf

I've seriously went & slept on my brothers floor because while I was lying in my bed, I felt a roach crawl up my arm. I HATETHEM

I hate them more than anything. & We have itsy bitsy ones that . . . . hide in our whirlpool thing so when I take a bath I usually get a roach in it. makes me sick.

they make me scream like a little girlyyyy

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah roaches suck

Leisel's Avatar Junior Member

That's a GREAT shot! (I dig the spiders) Orb weavers are super nifty. There's even some debate in the arachnology community as to whether or not they should be considered omnivorous as opposed to strictly carnivorous because when they eat their webs they also eat whatever was stuck on the web... to include pollen. So darn fascnating!

i want that giant bat eating centipede from that video someone posted a couple months back. i watched one of them eating a tarantula on youtube.... then another vidoe of one eating a mouse... these centipedes are like a foot long!!!
    id get one and name it dracula

spiders are totally awesome. THEY EAT MOSQITOS!!!

i fuckin' hate mosquitos...

i hate roaches too.

i kill bees, wasps, and hornets with out compunction... but i don't hate them.

the only spiders i kill are the ones that bite me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    i want that giant bat eating centipede from that video someone posted a couple months back. i watched one of them eating a tarantula on youtube.... then another vidoe of one eating a mouse... these centipedes are like a foot long!!!
    id get one and name it dracula
    that was me.. still makes me look under the desk *_*

http://www.blueblood.net/boards/showthread.php?t=6614

hah yeah after i watched those couple videos i find myself looking around everywhere before i step too... heh... but watching the video of it eating the spider, it was one of those rare times im glad i dont have a soundcard on my computer cause apparently you could hear it crunching away at it... ghaaaa sick...
    but i still want one for a pet heheee... id feed it all the wolf spiders i find around my house, and just buy crickets for it in the winter... or maybe i would have to feed it mice and stuff? i dunno. either way... hehe i wanna get one!

+ Reply to Thread