+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Ultimate Energy Drink: Cocaine? 350 Percent Stronger Than Red Bull

Default The Ultimate Energy Drink: Cocaine? 350 Percent Stronger Than Red Bull

By MELISSA SOWRY
    ABC

Sept. 18, 2006 -- Most people know what cocaine is, and now Redux Beverages in Las Vegas is offering what it calls a "legal alternative" to the illegal drug in form of an energy drink.

Jamey Kirby, the drink's inventor, says the name for the drink — Cocaine — came to him during a brainstorming session at 1 o'clock in the morning.

"It's an energy drink, and it's a fun name," says Kirby. "As soon as people look at the can, they smile."

Kirby says Redux wanted to make a beverage that would send a sensation to the mouth. He describes Cocaine, the new beverage, as a "fruity, atomic fireball" drink.

Real Cocaine?

The 8.4 fluid ounce energy booster has no actual cocaine in it, but it does contain 280 milligrams of caffeine. According to the company's Web site, the only way to get more caffeine per ounce is with an espresso.

"It's just a bad idea and has all the same downsides of too much caffeine plus a very bad name," says Dr. Charles O'Brien a professor and vice chairman of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania.

The beverage is marketed to give a person a "high" coupled with a tingly euphoric feeling within five minutes of drinking it. That initial boost is followed 15 minutes later by an energy buzz that will last five to six hours, according to the company.

Kirby claims Cocaine is "350 percent stronger than Red Bull" but that people do not experience the "sugar crash" or jitters that he says some of the other energy drinks can produce.

The Secret Formula?

Kirby confesses that a "throat-numbing" ingredient is added to the drink to emulate its namesake, but he won't divulge the identity of that add-in, saying it's confidential.

"We're getting a phenomenal response," says Kirby, crediting the can's simple design and product promotion for the drink's early success among consumers from high school kids to 30-year-olds.

The company isn't hiding from mixing Cocaine with alcohol. On the drink's Web site, www.DrinkCocaine.com, it posts a variety of alcohol and Cocaine combinations.

Kirby, who says the world is ready for a beverage named after an illegal drug, has been surprised by the lack of controversy over the name of the drink.

"We've been shocked by its acceptance," he says. "We thought it would be a hard sell."

So far, the drink can be found only in bars and convenience stores in the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas. It is expected to debut in San Diego this week. Kirby says the company is already getting inquiries about selling the product in England, Italy, Australia, South America and Central America.

and your little dog too

Default Re: The Ultimate Energy Drink: Cocaine? 350 Percent Stronger Than Red Bull

is this a Polish company? the web design company appears to be Polish?

Default Re: The Ultimate Energy Drink: Cocaine? 350 Percent Stronger Than Red Bull

i dont think their a polish company. on the bottom of the cocaine drink site it says "copyright redux beverages, Las vegas NV"
    i just think the people that designed the site are maybe polish.

oh , also you can watch an interview of the creator and owner here
    http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/msnbc/f...3&f=00&fg=copy

definatly not polish

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

The company making it may not be Polish, but it tastes like furniture polish. It's doing the rounds like wildfire, and yeah - it does wake you up for a few hours and make your tongue sleepy. S'just that's about all. The name is getting the attention, and if they'd called it Burgandy Bullock nobody would bother their ass over it.

Oh - and if you're annoyed by a small child in a mall/library/train/church, slip them a can. It's like throwing mace into a barrel of squirrels.

mG

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

wow, that seems kind of stupid, you get the same rush from drinking a couple of double espressos, which probably also taste better. Or better yet you could just do actual cocaine.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I'll stick to Rockstars thanks.

and dear god don't give any to voldta!

K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I'll stick to Rockstars thanks.

and dear god don't give any to voldta!

K
    heh..the people at convergence gave me a case of rockstar to take home. they were gone in a matter of a day.
    and it was all you can drink Monster at Batsday. i love con hopping

Satiate's Avatar Senior Member

i will drink coffee and teas until my veins and colon are stained brown... but those energy drinks KILL my kidneys... yeah, give me my beans and leaves...

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I love love love BAWLS!!! YUM! I'm enjoying some right now.

its ok we still like you....nut guy....

Hahahaha I was expecting a gay joke.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I love love love BAWLS!!! YUM! I'm enjoying some right now.

I do not reccomend drinking bawls before bed...holy fuck I am completely WIRED. I was tired like 15-20 min ago...THEN BAM! Wired. Might as well drink the second one. hahahaha.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

"the nut guy" drinks the drink which is phonetically "balls". why am I not surprised?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I like RockStar and I really like Full Throttle. Lost is pretty good too, and I like AMP sometimes, but drinks that are all hyped about being extreeeem like Jolt are just kinda gross tasting to me. I guess it's not all about sugar and caffine. I do miss Surge though.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

vault is pretty close to surge but not quite the same. I like Jolt a whole lot more than i like stuff liuke rockstar, to me rockstar tastes like kids chewble vitamins and jolt (the blu kind anyway) tastes like actual soda.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

eww.. theres an energy drink up here called "pimp juice" ... its bright fuckin green... and smells like apples or limes or something... haha but do you really want to drink something called "pimp juice"???? yuck.
    i dont think i would like any of them.. i havent tried any except for jolt and red bull... and they both tasted like ass to me. ill stick to my green tea hahaa.

+ Reply to Thread