+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strangely in Paris

Default Strangely in Paris

I have not traveled abroad as much as I would have liked, so I have to admit I was surprised to find myself in Paris last week. I have to say it was something new. My job sprung the trip on me with only two days notice. I took French in high school a million years ago, but don't recall a word. My time was split between the country and the city and the way things landed I only had one real free day to myself.

I have spent a lot of my life hearing how unfriendly to tourists Paris is. I had people alternatively tell me to try to speak French no matter how bad, and to never try because it would never be good enough. I was prepared for men and women on the streets to spit on me for being American. Despite the legends though, the city was very friendly to me. People who spoke English would speak to me in English, the ones who didn't still tried to be helpful. Don't get me wrong it is still a big city and, like LA or Cincinnati, people are caught up in their own thing. I mostly feel the need to point this out because I see people with the same reaction to LA. These are big cities, just by the odds we have to have nice people. Give the city a chance if you find yourself there, people will surprise you.

As far as the trip goes, the food in the country was amazing. Possibly because I had a guide out there and in the city I was just flailing about on my own, but good stuff. The only touristy thing I had time to do was visit Pere Lachaise but that alone was worth it. C on the faucet is for chaud, not cold. This is especially important if you have been drinking. Oscar Wild will still get more love than me, even 100 years dead. Cheese and wine, it's a cliche, but they are really good there. If you have a moment, check out the french singer Tete, cool in his way. And that's about it. I look forward to returning when I can speak the language.

And a stray photo from the trip. Just needed to ramble.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: Strangely in Paris

Sounds like you had a good time

Yeah its just like in America if someone who does not speak english comes up and talks to you. You're not trying to be rude you just do't understand what they are saying.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I've heard that as long as you don't act like a moronic ass hole american tourist everybody is relativly easy going either in paris or berlin or wherever. I wish my job would spring international trips on me! *jealous*

K

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

sounds pretty cool. what's chaud?

Chaud, well it goes something like this.

I had gone back to my hotel room and decided a quick cold shower was needed to sleep. Now, in the touristy hotels the labels were blue and red for cold and hot respectively. In the country hotel the knobs were labeled C and F. Because I was distracted, or as they say in France drunk, I assumed C was for cold. C is for Chaud or hot. really hot. Because I was distracted and didn't notice little things like a room full of steam I stepped into what I thought was going to be a nice cold shower and received a boiling language lesson. However, if there is one word I will remember in french from now on, it is chaud.

But I think Kieko is right about the not being an ass thing. The Canadian couple who decided to break the stereotypes and be complete fuckbutter to the waitress did not get the quality of service I did. I suspect they will go home and tell people how rude the French were.

+ Reply to Thread