+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PETA Animal-Cruelty Trial Set for Jan. 22

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

Default PETA Animal-Cruelty Trial Set for Jan. 22

PETA Animal-Cruelty Trial Set for Jan. 22

The on-again off-again Cruelty to Animals trial of two People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is back “on” … again. The Hertford County, North Carolina Superior Court has set the new trial date for January 22 -- over a year after the defendants, Andrew Cook and Adria Hinkle, were indicted on 22 counts of Cruelty to Animals and 3 counts of Obtaining Property By False Pretenses. The Honorable Cy Grant will be presiding.

Police in Ahoskie, North Carolina arrested Cook and Hinkle on June 15, 2005 near a shopping-center dumpster, from which they recovered 18 dead pets in trash bags. Thirteen additional dead animals were recovered from the PETA-owned van in which they were traveling. Witnesses from the Bertie County (NC) Animal Shelter and the Ahoskie Animal Hospital later confirmed that the two PETA employees had collected animals earlier that day -- including puppies and kittens -- on the promise that PETA would find them adoptive homes.

Hinkle will be represented by Washington, DC white-collar criminal lawyer Blair Brown and local attorney Jack Warmack. Cook's lawyer is North Carolina litigator Mark Edwards. District Attorney Valerie Asbell will try the case. Both defendant's legal bills are reportedly being paid by PETA.

Government records from the Virginia State Veterinarian show that in 2005, PETA killed 90 percent of the animals it took in for adoption. Since 1998, the group has put over 14,400 dogs and cats to death. Number for 2006 should be available soon.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaTrial5.cfm

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Default Re: PETA Animal-Cruelty Trial Set for Jan. 22

Doesn't sound like Ethical Treatment to me.

This is why people need to spay/neauter.

I hate doing that to animals because they lose their own persona. They just became food eating sacks on 4 legs
    But on the other side you just make their lifes more cruel if you don't do it. Most of the wild cat's here are put down if they are cought and most of them came from not neautered cats... Poor cats sufers for human mistakes. And not just cats, all other animals that humans came across

That's not why people need to spay and neuter. A lot of those animals were family pets that people just needed to find good home for. Peta assures them they'll place them and instead ethunaizes them before even getting the chance. Though yes and OliX that's not really true at all.

Spaying and Neutering doesn't really do anything that's been proven besides stop them from pissing on everything. It prevents also unwanted litters and cancer that tends to be pretty prevalent in cats and dogs.

Spaying and Nuetering has never changed the personality of any cat or dog I've had. It only does if you treat them differently. The only reason i could see someone not fixing their cat or dog is if they were a liscenced breeder who knew what they were doing. I.E. improving the breed versus bredding any and every pedigree animal to make a quick buck. Having multiple litters in fact shortens a females lifespan and is very hard on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    Doesn't sound like Ethical Treatment to me.
    And this is the difference between Animal Welfare and Animal Right Activists. PeTA does NOTHING for the animals they had a kill rate of 90% in 2005. they spend their money innstead in propoganda, staged videos and legal defence for the people who set aids facilities on fire because they test on animals.

I commented on fixing because the numbers of homes that would have to be found would be significantly reduced.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

don't spay and neuter your pets. create more food for coyotes.

I'm not saying that to be harsh, im complelty serious. we need more predators.

spay and nueter your wife or husband. we have millions of mouths we can't feed.

having a world full of puppies and kitties and wild flowers doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

having a world full of puppies and kitties and wild flowers doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
    And now for a quote from my friend randell. "parents eat your children"

what i love is that people whpo support peta say these people have been fired and have nothing to do with peta. When their legal fees are being paid by peta. Their defense is that they were doing what they thought was in the best interests of the animals because of their love for animals.

Not only that but apparently peta has not fired these 2 employees. That and they are not the only ones that have been dumping animals. So obviously this is a peta directive not one these two came up with. Why are people so stupid?

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I hope I don't come off as sounding like an arrogant asshole/stupid, but I don't care if I do.

I HATE PETA, and at the same time I really like them. They're sucking fucking hypocritical Nazi's. But IMO they are controlling the pet population, and while it is considered not ethical how they do it, I could care less. This means less strays running around.

And around my neighborhood I could use a few less strays

Anyways I hope PETA loses this case. haha.

I always wonder who reports these things and what is there agenda? is it because They really care about animals, or are they just trying to discredit animal rights organizations, by saying ha! look at peta they don't care about animals... well, how about the fishing industry that kills millions of fish and marine life every year, and over 80% of it is not commercially valuable so it just gets thrown away. how about we go after the real assholes here.

tthe problem is they aren''t just killing strays. If you had to give up your pet because say you're sick and can't take care of it. You think peta is a good place for adoption and give it to them and they suay sure we should have no problem placing this animal. But instead they put it to sleep before they can even leave the parking lot. How would you feel?

That and they do not have a permit to be using those chemicals it was shown.

They also support BSL see. http://www.workinpitbul.com and their article on the turth about peta. They support the banning of 'dangerous breeds' such as bulldogs pitbulls etc. Oh and they also give mony to arsonists that set fire to aids testing facilities because they use animal testing yet the vice president uses insulin and defends it because 'they need insulin so they can keep helping the animals'

is insulin made from animals?

also, I'd really like to see where you got that info about animal rights groups burning down an aids treatment facility. that sounds like total bullshit to me.

I'm not defending PETA, but my gut feeling is telling me that what I said is close to the truth.

Insulin was developed though animal testing on pigs.
    And yes ARA have attacked facilities using animals for testing

President of PeTA
    “Our nonviolent tactics are not as effective. We ask nicely for years and get nothing. Someone makes a threat, and it works.”
    — Ingrid Newkirk, in the April 8, 2002 issue of US News & World Report
    ARA

“Throughout the late ‘80s, me and a handful of friends just like you people here, we started to break windows, we started to slash tires, we started to rescue animals from factory farms and vivisection breeders, and we graduated to breaking into laboratories … As long as we emptied the labs of animals, they were still easily replaced. So that's when the ALF in this country, and my cell, started engaging in arson.”
    — SHAC rally, Edison, New Jersey
    http://www.activistcash.com/organiza...iew.cfm/oid/21
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0307/p03s01-usju.html
    http://www.rickross.com/groups/animal.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/animalrigh...514393,00.html

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I hope I don't come off as sounding like an arrogant asshole/stupid, but I don't care if I do.

I HATE PETA, and at the same time I really like them. They're sucking fucking hypocritical Nazi's. But IMO they are controlling the pet population, and while it is considered not ethical how they do it, I could care less. This means less strays running around.

And around my neighborhood I could use a few less strays

Anyways I hope PETA loses this case. haha.
    Yeah, I would agree that strays can be a problem in many areas, yet whether you intend to sound like a jerk or not, there are just better ways to do it than randomly killing, in the name of whatever. (Hail PETA? I mean, hey that worked for hitler)

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

It's not a world full of puppies and kitties that is a bad thing, it's a world full of unwanted animals that have no means for survival that creates the problem. We are predators. There are too damn many of us, and that's why there aren't enough animal predators around. Having a lot more snacks running around for them would probably result in more roadkill, and definitely problems for humans, as the coyotes, etc become more accustomed to human presence. That really could be a bad thing.

I always wonder who reports these things and what is there agenda? is it because They really care about animals, or are they just trying to discredit animal rights organizations, by saying ha! look at peta they don't care about animals... well, how about the fishing industry that kills millions of fish and marine life every year, and over 80% of it is not commercially valuable so it just gets thrown away. how about we go after the real assholes here.
    I suspect that it is not as much politically motivates as sensationalism. It is more exciting to the masses to hear about the hypocrisies of PETA than the fishing industry killing to many fish, even if the fishing has a greater impact. No one expects the fishing industry to care about animals, so the waste and destruction is a problem, but not a scandal. Plus PETA asks for money to protect these animals, betrayal means more scandal. If PETA could just get caught cheating on Paris, they would rule the front page.

And insulin is seldom taken from animals these days and has been dropping in the US since the mid 80s I believe, so using the modern insulin isn't something I would discredit her for except for the fact that animal insulin is the only reason some people survived long enough to be my friends.

thanks for the articles about why animals rights actvists (despite never having seriosuly injured anyone) are buddies with osama bin ladin. since none of those articles mention them burning down a place that makes aids medication, I'm going to go ahead and stop taking this seriously.

really what's the point here? it seems to be criticizing peta for not helping animals, while at the same time demonizing people that are activly helping animals, but in a way that you don't agree with it. what are they supposed to do? kindly asks vivisectionists to stop torturing animals? ask mcdonalds to stop destroying rainforrests and displacing people's homes? so once again it's the same old liberal bullshit, everyone wants to be a saint but if it is an incovenience to them, if it infrignies on thier rights to exploit everything else and get what they want, then they really don't want to be bothered.

the whole idea that sure I want to help animals, but never above people, is the reason why animals don't have rights and why people will always think that it's ok to treat them as if they dont' deserve to live.

Wow okay again there's animal welfar and again what has PeTA done to help animals at all? Where does all that money go? They are tax exempt and spend all their money on the legal fees of convicted arsonists and other criminals if you actually look through the activist cash website i linked.

I don't know about you but who's mind does the people standing in front of KFC change? What animals does that help? All PeTA does is go after companies they don't like. They don't go after other chicken companies, only KFC because of the actions of two employees. Yet they say we shouldn't judge PeTA because of the actions of the two employees on trail. They are hypocrites plain and simple.

No none of the articles will say A.I.D.S. facilities specifically because the laboratories the arsonists attacked were medical laboratories. PeTA themselves do not commit the crimes, they pay the legal fees for those who do.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/arti...fm?article=134

How am i demonizing people who are helping animals? Again I would love to know how PeTA is helping any animals where's all that celebrity funding going to?

Yeah oh yes i see greatly how PeTA and other animal rights activists have helped animals. Not at all.

Animal Welfare, Jane Goodall these people help animals. They don't sit around in their houses saying how they want to save the animals and do nothing about it.

Unless you grow vegetables in your back yard and don't use pesticides you're not limiting animal suffering.Being a vegetarian hmm that requires more land to grow enough to sustain the same amount of people.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill

Oh yes her we go I asked around for better links and again it was right on activistcash which I've already linked to. PeTA helped fund known criminal and arsonist Rodney. If you need more links i can find them since they're easy enough to come by.

http://www.activistcash.com/biography.cfm/bid/3255
    http://www.animalscam.com/references/peta_rodney1.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by badkittyamy
    Yeah oh yes I see greatly how PeTA and other animal rights activists have helped animals. Not at all....They don't sit around in their houses saying how they want to save the animals and do nothing about it.
    you're right, they don't sit around in thier houses and do nothing, they rescue tortured animals and burn down the buildings so that the perpetrators can't do it anymore. Not all of them burn down buildings or do destructive things, but they do do things that are against the law, things that help animals and hurt businesses that make money off of hurting animals. the law cares more about business and money then it does about living things. everydya people **** and murder each other in america and the biggest "terrorists" are people that try and save cats and trees. that's absurd.

so I say again, why pick on peta when you should be going after the one's that are putting animals in a state of harm in the first place. Peta doesn't do that. they don't sell cats to people as pets or put cats together and breed them. yes, it's wrong that they kill them, I don't agree with that at all. but I think that it's just as much wrong for people to have overbred them. it's pet owners that created that problem in the first place. blame them, peta is just trying to deal with it.

the bottom line is that you seem to have a vendetta against Peta, and I'll say again that I don't agree with them, but I also don't believe that you are doing anything to help the animals or that you really care or that that is what your motivation in sharing this information is, so I really don't care.

also, citing a guy that talks about beating up kids, the handicap and women doesn't really help your cause.

Right okay whatever you want to think. All of my animals are rescues. What happens to those animals once they're 'saved from the facilities?' We're not talking about monkeys and chimps here we're talking about lab rats. Bred for the purpose to be used in labs. There are laws in place that prevent the 'torture' of these animals. And to me it's all a publicity stunt.

Again all the money they are getting why don't they use it to build animal santuaries or donate the money to places that and you still ignore that they support Breed specific legislation. How i ask yet again is that ethical treatment. A few good actions do NOT redeem them when the majority of what they do and stand for is terrible.

They compared chickens to the jews in the holocaust and they outright lie. On the PeTA 2 website you can still find a letter against KFC 'signed' by the Beastie Boys that they said they did not write yet PeTA continues to use it.

Oh I'm sorry I guess wanting there to be no pets ans saying all bulldogs are vicious because one bit the president is ethical and a great way to support the wellfare of animals.

from the mouth of again the president of PeTA

Those who argue against the euthanasia policy for pit bull dogs are naive.

I have scars on my leg and arm from my own encounter with a pit. Many are loving and will kiss on sight, but many are unpredictable.

People who genuinely care about dogs won't be affected by a ban on pits. They can go to the shelter and save one of the countless other breeds and lovable mutts sitting on death row through no fault of their own.

We can only stop killing pits if we stop creating new ones. Legislators, please take note.
    Yes i can see who those who CARE about animals would want specific breeds banned because the president of a huge animal rights organization got bit by ONE.

I'll answer your question. what happens to the animals? well usually the are reclaimed by the humanitarians who continue to cut them open and pump them full of drugs to see what will happen, and then all the big bad terrorists are sent to prison and child molestors get out on parole. or else they go in the wild and live there lives as they naturally would, or else the humane society picks them up and then kills them or they get ran over by a truck on the highway and someone posts on the internet about how evil peta is.

I'm going to ignore everything else you said, because you didn't answer my questions, just continued to bash peta on an unrelated issue.

however, the arguement that rats were "bred" for experiments is totally fucking false. a lot of people used to belive that africans were bred to be slaves. that's a pretty chicken shit way to get out of taking responsibility for your own actions. it's called blaming the victim.

No it;s not and when you actually do your research I'll be happy because I answered all your questions and provided you with a number of links that you are obviously to lazy to actually go through and read thoroughly because you simply don't want to be wrong.

Lab rats ARE bred to be lab rats insofar as pet rats differ greatly to those in the wild. Just like breeds of dogs are bred for specific things like meat or hunting. Again in most countries there are laws in place. Laws that disallow the abuse of animals. If ANY animal starts developing painful symptoms they MUST be put down. I really don't know what you think goes on in the majority of these labs but I don't see people complaining when people feed their snakes live when they can just as easily feed frozen thawed instead.

Those rats mice bunnies and depending on the size of the snakes pigs I'm sure as hell don't enjoy getting constricted to death. And again just like PeTA says fur is no longer needed live feed is definately no longer needed as I've never met a snake that after proper conditioning won't eat frozen thawed when done properly.

You purport that PeTA helps animals without giving any evidence as to how they do this. I gave my links to my research and arguments and you as the opposer you know have to provide the same evidence that you ask of me it's kind of common sense.

And you're using the same mentality PeTA does comparing a rat bred for labartory purposes that would never survive two seconds in the wild, sort of like feeder rats and mice we buy for our snakes to African slaves. Real relevant that comparison. I love you technique of 'i'll pretend you didn't answer any of my questions (i answered all of them) so that i don't have to answer any of the other questions posed'

See my next post for even more links since the several I've already posted didn;t satisfy you.

http://www.activistcash.com/organiza...eye.cfm/oid/21
    http://www.animalrights.net/archives...00/000102.html
    http://www.animalliberationfront.com...rperupdate.htm

Josh Harper was convicted of two federal “terrorism” related felonies in the landmark SHAC 7 conspiracy case on March 12,2006. On November 16 he began serving his 3 year long prison sentence (he had been on house arrest under electronic monitoring).

PeTA donated $5000 towards their defense.
    http://www.animalscam.com/references...oshharper1.cfm

This is long but well worth reading..
    http://www.undueinfluence.com/peta.htm

more to come...

I have to quote this one... Please note the URL...
    [quote author=http://www.nocompromise.org/issues/15blast_past.html]The A.L.F. of the 1980s found its greatest voice in PETA, who acted as a mouthpiece for the A.L.F. following the raids, holding press conferences and distributing videos and seized documents to the media. The PETA press conference following the Gennarelli raid set off a media-wildfire surrounding the confiscated footage and sparked a fierce standoff between the compassionate public and the animal researchers.[/quote]

When ALF member Roger Troen was convicted of burglary and arson at the University of Oregon, in which $36,000 in damage was inflicted, PeTA paid Troen's $27.000 legal fees and his $34,900 fine. Gary Thorud testified under oath that "we were illegally funding this individual with money solicited for other causes, and Ingrid was using that money, bragging to the staff that she had spent $25,000 on the case." Deposition of Gary Thorud, Berosini v. PeTA, at 49-50.
    (I'm still trying to find that.. I've been looking for years)

The connection between ALF and PeTA goes back a long ways..
    http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/8080/
    This is an article from 1987, back when PeTA wasn't so <ahem> discreet with the association.

yes, I read all your articles by people that don't care about helping animals and want to show that animal rights actvists are bad. you succeeding in demonstarting that point in your first or second post. posting fifty more links about it is uneccesary.

the only question that you've answered was "what's the point here?" which was rhetorical, because as I just said, I know your point.

you didn't answer any of my other questions, so i'll go ahead and clearly restate them so there is no confusion.

What are you doing to help animals?

What do you think should be done to help animals that isn't being done now?

If you think what peta does to animals is wrong, why not post articles about other individuals and institutes that commit wrongs against animals?

What do you think should be done in terms of education, exposure and action towards these other groups (ties in to the above question)?

What are you doing to help animals?

I adopt as well as do community service for adoption agencies and I do animal education for kids. I show people why certain animals get bad names and try to educate them about why most of it is unfounded in the cases of animals like sharks, reptiles, and 'bully' dog breeds.

What do you think should be done to help animals that isn't being done now?

There is tons being done for animals already. What needs to be done is people stop protesting and actually get out there and foster, adopt and do what they can to actually help animals. Protesting imho really doesn't get anything done except waste time. People who protest the war aren't going to stop it from continuing to go on people who protest for animals really aren't getting anything done either.

Animal cruelty officers that i've seen take their jobs very seriously the problem is that there will always be people who see nothing wrong with say fighting dogs. What needs to be done is stronger fines get put in place.

If you think what peta does to animals is wrong, why not post articles about other individuals and institutes that commit wrongs against animals?

Because most people don't know about ALF and the other ARA groups. Also other ARA groups are not tax exempt like PeTA is or funded by celebrities. The idea is to educate people that PeTA isn't this land of fluffy bunnies and love for all animals.

What do you think should be done in terms of education, exposure and action towards these other groups (ties in to the above question)?[/QUOTE]

I don't just dislike PeTA I'm again against all Animal Rights groups. Again most other ARA groups already have a bad image and aren't tax exempt. Celeberaties don't fund them because they can't get off on taxes by donating to places like ALF. I choose PeTA as my target because all the other groups are radicals. So it's kind of like a crazy who's good at pretending to be sane versus the ones that are already seen as crazy and are in white padded cells already.

ok, well thanks for that post BKA. that actually really does help make it a lot clearer for me where you are coming from. And I do agree with you for the most part. I do think that peta does some good because they are such a public face and they get people to think about helping animals when maybe they might not know where to go for information, but they do a lot of bad things too and it's also important for people to be educated about them. they do seem to have co-opted the movement for personal profit and that's wrong. However, I think that we have to agree to disagree when it comes to animal rights groups. I just can't see any justification in demonizing (and sentancing to life in prison) people for damaging property for a just cause when it belongs to organizations that do so much more damage to everything else (especially living, feeling people and animals) and are allowed to get away with it and seen as being in the right.

Amaltheas_Attic's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    I hate doing that to animals because they lose their own persona. They just became food eating sacks on 4 legs
    But on the other side you just make their lifes more cruel if you don't do it. Most of the wild cat's here are put down if they are cought and most of them came from not neautered cats... Poor cats sufers for human mistakes. And not just cats, all other animals that humans came across
    That's absolutely untrue. If you continue to interact with your pet, play with it, and feed it normal amounts of food, it's the same pet you had before the procedure, it's just sterile. That's a lame excuse for not being a responsible pet owner.

BAH. The jury acquitted them of the animal cruelty charges. You know if it was anyone else that had done this tit would have been an open shut case they just got charged for littering -smacks head on desk-

it's a cozy relationship, for everyone except the animals that is. animal abusers go on abusing, peta feigns outrage, money changes hands, situation continues as normal.

+ Reply to Thread