+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Australia Day! What is it exactly?

Default Australia Day! What is it exactly?

You guys have independance day, we have Australia day. It's on the 26th of January.

What is it you ask? I had to consult wikipedia!

"26 January 1788 was the date on which the First Fleet, under Captain Arthur Phillip arrived at Sydney Cove and set up the Colony of New South Wales. By 26 January 1808, the day that the New South Wales Corps arrested Governor Bligh in the Rum Rebellion, it was being celebrated as 'First Landing' or 'Foundation Day'. In 1818 (the 30th anniversary) Governor Macquarie had a 30-gun salute at Dawes Point and gave government workers a holiday[1] - a tradition that was soon followed by banks and other public offices.

In 1888 all colonial capitals (with the exception of Adelaide) celebrated 'Anniversary Day' and by 1935 all states of Australia were celebrating January 26 as Australia Day (although it was still known as Anniversary Day in New South Wales).

The 1938 sesquicentenary (150th anniversary) of British settlement in New South Wales in 1788 was widely celebrated. Preparations began in 1936 with the formation of a Celebrations Council. In that year, New South Wales was the only state to abandon the traditional long weekend and the annual Anniversary Day public holiday was held on the actual anniversary day - Wednesday 26 January.[2]

In 1946 the Commonwealth and State governments agreed to unify the celebrations on 26 January as 'Australia Day', although the public holiday was instead taken on the Monday closest to 26 January.[3]

Since 1994 all states and territories have taken the Australia Day public holiday on 26 January.[3]"

What it really is, an excuse to drink! But here's some pics of patriotism Daniel style in any case!

There's not really a point to this thread but hey! Enjoy, maybe?

And here's a quick picture of the purple haired troll .. ..

Default Re: Australia Day! What is it exactly?

but why post it now? :P

CherryCola's Avatar King Of The Swing

me and my friend we went out that nite and didnt know about it
    there was oz related stuff in every pub.. we were trying to be funny and were like "what is it Australia day"...we turned around saw a sign and it was :x

Haha. I'm posting now cause I only just got hold of the damned photos!

The last pic all purple was taken on Friday haha. That was The Big Day Out, an annual touring music Festival with international and local acts. Tool, Muse and the Violent Femmes headlined with a few other decent bands.

It's all kind of related though. The Australian flag was BANNED from the festival because it was thought it may incite violence (following what were called the race riots in Sydnet, where gangs of "Aussies" and Lebanese were involved in huge fights).

A common sight at the BDO however were people wearing t-shirts that had hte Aussie flag and the words "Support it or FUCK OFF". As my good friend G.G. Alan Bindig wrote on ******* (yeah yeah):

"Speaking of which, did you notice all those guys and girls at the BDO with those cute T-shirts with the Australian flag on it, and underneath, the words "support it or fuck off"? What's the story with that, I mean... how exactly do you define "supporting" the Australian flag? Is just wearing it enough? Is just agreeing that "I like that design with the English flag in the corner, I think that's very Australian, let's not change it to something else" enough? Or is agreeing with Australian policy a requirement? Since John Howard is our leader at the moment, if we wear the flag, and he runs the country that the flag represents, does that mean that we have to support John Howard's decisions in order to support the flag? Or conversely, by supporting the flag, does that mean that we are also supporting Australian policy as it stands at the moment? Do you think that many people who actually wear T-shirts like that have sat down and had a good long hard think about these kinds of issues? I'm interested in your thoughts, because as I saw these T-shirts wander by me, I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to "fuck off" or not. It was also unclear, if I were in fact to "fuck off", where I was supposed to go? To my own country, perhaps? That'd be... Australia.... hmmmm...."

It was all a bit political actually :S

ok, im not even going to ask further why the Aussie flag is banned in Austrailia...

cant you guys just ride kangaroo's and drink guiness without starting a fight

im j/k btw.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

heh voldta... so mean...
    mmm guiness... cool pics man neat story too, i didnt know there was an australia day. made me think of canada day... which is just freaking FUN

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I just think that it's kind of wierd that they fail to mention the fact that australians wiped out an entire group of people. all people today of tasmanian aborigine lineage are decended from the only survivors, two women that were kidnapped and ***** by sailors.

in terms of population ratio, australia is probably the most genocidal country.

Kat's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by StolenName
    It's all kind of related though. The Australian flag was BANNED from the festival because it was thought it may incite violence (following what were called the race riots in Sydnet, where gangs of "Aussies" and Lebanese were involved in huge fights).

...It was all a bit political actually :S
    The Australian flag wasn't actually banned, the organisers requested that people not bring them, but never said you can't. However, once the politicians got hold of that statement, it suddenly became a ban, and caused huge controversy.

The organisers made the request because at last years Sydney BDO, a group of idiots were wearing the flag as capes, demanding people kiss the flag and declare allegiance to Australia, and beating the crap out of anyone who refused, or even hesitated. That happened not long after the riots in Cronulla, and the organisers were trying to prevent something similar happening this year.

The whole thing could have been avoided if they hadn't singled out the Australian flag, but rather made a statement saying all flags were not to be brought, or simply said "If you act like a fuckwit, we'll kick your ass out" - and followed through on it.

So yeah - it was all a bit political. Every politician who could find a camera or a journalist was using it as their platform to delcare their party's stand on racial issues, immigration, citizenship, discirmination, youth and crime.

I missed Australia Day for the first time this year, having moved to New Zealand the week before

Kat's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I just think that it's kind of wierd that they fail to mention the fact that australians wiped out an entire group of people. all people today of tasmanian aborigine lineage are decended from the only survivors, two women that were kidnapped and ***** by sailors.

in terms of population ratio, australia is probably the most genocidal country.
    Many of the "offiicial" Australia Day events do make considerable mention of past atrocities committed against the Aboriginals. There is considerable compensation and allowances to the Aboriginals now, and every school student learns about it, although it is somewhat inaccurate.

Australian schools now teach that the Aboriginals were seemingly docile peoples who just laid down and died as soon as they saw white people. It's now no longer politicially correct to teach that the Aborignals did fight back, often in the form of nighttime raids on settlers. It's not even taught as "this is what they had to resort to to try and save their lands from the invading white people", which it undoubtedly was.

Just curious, how did you form the conclusion that Australia is the most genocidal country? It's an interesting concept, if you have any links or info about that, would you mind posting them here?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    heh voldta... so mean...
    mmm guiness... cool pics man neat story too, i didnt know there was an australia day. made me think of canada day... which is just freaking FUN
    Don't really drink too much guiness! Especially not in summer, too heavy, sits in your stomach. I'm a fan of local brew Coopers Pale Ale and a ber brewed on the east coast called Cartlon Cold which is a really clean beer, essentially water with alcohol in it and some bubbles, which is perfect for hot weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Many of the "offiicial" Australia Day events do make considerable mention of past atrocities committed against the Aboriginals. There is considerable compensation and allowances to the Aboriginals now, and every school student learns about it, although it is somewhat inaccurate.

Australian schools now teach that the Aboriginals were seemingly docile peoples who just laid down and died as soon as they saw white people. It's now no longer politicially correct to teach that the Aborignals did fight back, often in the form of nighttime raids on settlers. It's not even taught as "this is what they had to resort to to try and save their lands from the invading white people", which it undoubtedly was.

Just curious, how did you form the conclusion that Australia is the most genocidal country? It's an interesting concept, if you have any links or info about that, would you mind posting them here?
    It's true about that. Crazy story when you start researching how the English claimed the lands etc as well. It's actually a huge saga in Australia, well, it used to be but it appears to have passed over. Politicians love to admit there were attrocities, but at the same time have tried to hide alot of what happened and refuse to atone for many a sin past committed. There's both for and against arguments in alot of the issues and there's no clear standing.

The high school subject is ridiculous as well. I believe it was called Australian Studies. At one point, we were required to construct a poster collaging things we thought were Australian. That's in the second to last year of school. Wooo, I was really learning bout my culture then *rolls eyes*

I'd be interested to know if the fuckheads that walked around in the cape would alos be those to abuse aboriginals, throw racist slurs at them and force them to worship the flag. You know, considering they have THEIR OWN flag, and probably SHOULD hate the British/White Australian, immigrants etc considering technically they're the original Aussies.

Kat's Avatar Member

It's true about that. Crazy story when you start researching how the English claimed the lands etc as well. It's actually a huge saga in Australia, well, it used to be but it appears to have passed over. Politicians love to admit there were attrocities, but at the same time have tried to hide alot of what happened and refuse to atone for many a sin past committed. There's both for and against arguments in alot of the issues and there's no clear standing.

The high school subject is ridiculous as well. I believe it was called Australian Studies. At one point, we were required to construct a poster collaging things we thought were Australian. That's in the second to last year of school. Wooo, I was really learning bout my culture then *rolls eyes*

I'd be interested to know if the fuckheads that walked around in the cape would alos be those to abuse aboriginals, throw racist slurs at them and force them to worship the flag. You know, considering they have THEIR OWN flag, and probably SHOULD hate the British/White Australian, immigrants etc considering technically they're the original Aussies.
    I had to do something similar to that Australian Studies stuff in my first year at university. It was called "Cultural [something or other]", but if you didn't put stuff about how you related to Aboriginals, you lost marks for it. But I've only related to them in that I was sexually assualted by several of them, and my family history...well, they were of the "Lets kill the natives" persuasion. Not because they were racist, but they came to Australia as the governor/soldier type, rather than as convicts.

As for the cape-wearing fuckheads, they pretty much only targeted non-whites. It was very racial, and I can only assume that Aboriginals got targeted too. A good many do have cause to resent the white settlers of Aus. I guess that's why a few Aboriginal groups call it Invasion Day, rather than Australia Day.

Haven't heard that reference surprisingly! But yes, my formers were Soldiers as opposed to colonisers or convicts, so I'm going to assume that they've done some horirfic things in the past, well, on my mothers side. Fathers side I'm scottish. However, dad did inform me that dating back the history on mums side, there's a few aboriginals in our family line as well, dating way back but you can only guess why they would have born children back in the day (reference to fromer attorcities and sexual abuse).

Gotta admit though, unfortunately, Aboriginals do have a bad name but not without warrant on occassions.

Kat's Avatar Member

Haven't heard that reference surprisingly! But yes, my formers were Soldiers as opposed to colonisers or convicts, so I'm going to assume that they've done some horirfic things in the past, well, on my mothers side. Fathers side I'm scottish. However, dad did inform me that dating back the history on mums side, there's a few aboriginals in our family line as well, dating way back but you can only guess why they would have born children back in the day (reference to fromer attorcities and sexual abuse).

Gotta admit though, unfortunately, Aboriginals do have a bad name but not without warrant on occassions.
    I'm Scottish on my mothers side - I'd love to know what my great-great-great-whatever grandfather did to earn him such a remote posting as the colonies in Australia. He must have royally pissed off someone. But then, it was the 1700s, and he was Scottish...maybe thats all that was needed.

It's a shame that the Aboriginals do have such a bad name. As you say, it's not without warrant at times, but what a lot of people don't realise is that it's a highly visible minorty making the entire group look bad. I'd be all for cutting off all the benefits and assistance they get simply for being from a particular racial background, but that would be so unfair to those who actually need it, rather than just abuse it and ask for more.

I actually didn't know that kat. but from what I heard they (as in the aussie government) were pretty opposed to aboriginies forming solidarity groups and celebrating traditional customs and living. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty surprised and glad that they go through such lengths to educate people about what really happened- in my words the greatest genocidal ratio, in that such a compartively small number of people (I don't know the exact numbers, but it's not like millions of people came to colonize australia, it was probably in the thousands) practically succeeded in eliminating an entire ethic group. But it does kind of seem like lip service since they will never get back what they lost, other than giving back the land which we all know is never going to happen anywhere.

also I hear a lot about more open racism there compared to the states. but maybe that's just because people are more honest about things there.

I'm Scottish on my mothers side - I'd love to know what my great-great-great-whatever grandfather did to earn him such a remote posting as the colonies in Australia. He must have royally pissed off someone. But then, it was the 1700s, and he was Scottish...maybe thats all that was needed.

It's a shame that the Aboriginals do have such a bad name. As you say, it's not without warrant at times, but what a lot of people don't realise is that it's a highly visible minorty making the entire group look bad. I'd be all for cutting off all the benefits and assistance they get simply for being from a particular racial background, but that would be so unfair to those who actually need it, rather than just abuse it and ask for more.
    Yeah I understand that. I did some study into teh Aboriginal youth programs, funding, grants etc at uni and it was great learning about some of hte more helpful initiatives that encouraged work and were successful in finding ways to accomodate for hte fact they'd lost alot of their cultures. One such program was a cooperation between fruit growers here in SA and in Queensland whereby the same group of people were provided good accomodation, decent pay (not dodgy payment, but with super as well), food and transport and would traverse seasonally between SA and Queensland picking fruit and helping farm. Apparently it worked well.

Which is a darn sight better than throwing down cash and going "drink till you shuttup" then blaming them for wasting their cash in the first place.

There's a few issues in SA now with a group, and it's pretty large (apparently) who've been stealing cars and ram raiding. I'm not one to trust the news, but apparently it has been pretty bad with approximately 60 people, between 15-23. It's good when you do get elders and other respected community members shunning this activity, but more so to encourage them to better themselves, because hte community as a whole benefits with less dickheads around. Essentially ...

Kat's Avatar Member

I actually didn't know that kat. but from what I heard they (as in the aussie government) were pretty opposed to aboriginies forming solidarity groups and celebrating traditional customs and living. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty surprised and glad that they go through such lengths to educate people about what really happened- in my words the greatest genocidal ratio, in that such a compartively small number of people (I don't know the exact numbers, but it's not like millions of people came to colonize australia, it was probably in the thousands) practically succeeded in eliminating an entire ethic group. But it does kind of seem like lip service since they will never get back what they lost, other than giving back the land which we all know is never going to happen anywhere.

also I hear a lot about more open racism there compared to the states. but maybe that's just because people are more honest about things there.
    The Australian government is actually pretty open-minded about the Aboriginals forming their own solidarity groups and living traditionally. There are many Aboriginal communities, and in the Northern Territory, Western Australia and Northern Queensland (mainly), there are many tribes who still live in quite a traditional manner - they're also the only places you will still find full-blooded Aboriginals now. These groups will often have tourist groups visit to learn about their culture and way of life, and the Aussie government also recognises traditional ownership of land, working with all concerned to grant land back to the tribes who owned it pre-colonisation.

As for racism...yeah, we're pretty honest about that. If we see something as racist, we're not afraid to say so. Unfortunately, racial tensions are rising in Aus, and racist acts increasing in number, athough the trend is veering away from the usual white-on-black hatred - its often religiously based now - eg white/christian on muslim, or theres the lebanese gangs who hate everyone but their own ethnic group, and in the town my parents live in, its actually reversed - its black-on white violence. They're just a few examples though.

Racisim in Aus gets so much media coverage, because it goes so far against the "Happy multicultural laid-back accepting country" image that the tourism industy tries so hard to project.

It's ALOT of lipservice, without any kind of formal repayment, "we were wrong, ahh, sorry (without EVER saying sorry), guess you're just gonna have to live with it *shrug*. That's pretty much the extent of things.

There's been some action taken but it's more a case of chucking money at the problem and hoping it'll go away, but that hasn't worked so well.

As for open racism, I don't know. I've got a lot of friends of different heritages and we tend to give each other ALOT of shit, for instance there's "Jew", who labelled himself as such. We introduce him as Brenner, he says, just call me Jew if you forget. There's Rachel, better known as "Asian Rachel" or "Asian", who we introduce as Rachel, before she corrects herself as "most people know me as "hey asian"" and there's a few others like that. It really depends, alot of my mates are tolerant and don't really have any annimosity, so we tend to play up alot of the racist shit which is completely different to those that would openly abuse someone of a different race on the street, which also tends to happen alot.

It's odd, but alot of the problems do start with those tightly knit ethnic communities youth banding together and from people that see that as a form of aggression. Complicated to say the least.

The Australian government is actually pretty open-minded about the Aboriginals forming their own solidarity groups and living traditionally. There are many Aboriginal communities, and in the Northern Territory, Western Australia and Northern Queensland (mainly), there are many tribes who still live in quite a traditional manner - they're also the only places you will still find full-blooded Aboriginals now. These groups will often have tourist groups visit to learn about their culture and way of life, and the Aussie government also recognises traditional ownership of land, working with all concerned to grant land back to the tribes who owned it pre-colonisation.

As for racism...yeah, we're pretty honest about that. If we see something as racist, we're not afraid to say so. Unfortunately, racial tensions are rising in Aus, and racist acts increasing in number, athough the trend is veering away from the usual white-on-black hatred - its often religiously based now - eg white/christian on muslim, or theres the lebanese gangs who hate everyone but their own ethnic group, and in the town my parents live in, its actually reversed - its black-on white violence. They're just a few examples though.

Racisim in Aus gets so much media coverage, because it goes so far against the "Happy multicultural laid-back accepting country" image that the tourism industy tries so hard to project.
    You live in New Zealand right? SO by black on white do you mean Maori?

Kat's Avatar Member

It's good when you do get elders and other respected community members shunning this activity, but more so to encourage them to better themselves, because hte community as a whole benefits with less dickheads around. Essentially ...
    In NT, the Traditional Justice system seems to work pretty well. If an Aboriginal kid screws up, s/he goes through the courts, gets the legal punishment, then gets handed straight over to the Elders for them to deal with the kid as well.

Kat's Avatar Member

You live in New Zealand right? SO by black on white do you mean Maori?
    I live in New Zealand now, but I only moved here in January. I'm Australian born and bred, lived in NSW and QLD.

I haven't been here long enough to understand all the racial dynamics here yet, but I do know there are anti-white maori gangs in various areas, and I assume there's anti-maori white gangs too.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of gang violence. PNG is one of the worst though apparently, with tension high through pretty much most areas.

well, hey guys I really appreciate this information. great to learn stuff that I didn't know. I don't have the chance to watch international news and I really don't research it that much. most of what I know is from history and then current stuff comes from people that I talk to from aus, but it appears that those people are idiots and don't know what they are talking about.

Kat's Avatar Member

well, hey guys I really appreciate this information. great to learn stuff that I didn't know. I don't have the chance to watch international news and I really don't research it that much. most of what I know is from history and then current stuff comes from people that I talk to from aus, but it appears that those people are idiots and don't know what they are talking about.
    Glad it was helpful to you, I was starting to feel like I'd hijacked this thread. I have a tendency to share vast quantities of information with people who seem interested.

I think my brain needs a smaller hard drive, because it sometimes scares me just how much I have stored in there.

Glad it was helpful to you, I was starting to feel like I'd hijacked this thread. I have a tendency to share vast quantities of information with people who seem interested.

I think my brain needs a smaller hard drive, because it sometimes scares me just how much I have stored in there.
    The more the better!

No worries with the hijack, better to have an interesting off topic discussion than a thread leading no where!

Kat's Avatar Member

The more the better!

No worries with the hijack, better to have an interesting off topic discussion than a thread leading no where!
    It's been nice having a chance to exercise my brain amid the housework and job-hunting that have otherwise occupied my day.

+ Reply to Thread