+ Reply to Thread

Thread: corset construction

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Default corset construction

I live to the left of nowhere here in Massachussetts. (It's true. My boyfriend even emailed me a map.) Unless I go down to New York to go clothes shopping, there is a severe lack of goth themed clothing stores in the area. (Using this method, immediately tack on $40 for cost of tickets to New York in the first place.) Sure, I could go online and order stuff from there, but I'd rather not take the chance that it won't fit and then have no recourse. I have a few fabric stores in my area and the working knowledge to operate my sewing machines.

Here's where everyone comes in: do you know of any websites that offer clothes patterns? For corsets, dresses, skirts, what not? If can get the rudimentary sketch, I think I can mock it up on tracing paper and go from there. Any other suggestions would be great! thanks!

Default Re: corset construction

Arugh! Figures, I just came across two of them last week. I tried re-tracing my steps, but I couldn't find it again. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler

you rock. i don't know why i didn't think of it. guess i thought if it was as easy as typing in corsetmaking.com it would be bogus or something.

i used to shop there for boning, it was the first to come to mind

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

put on an old shirt, duct tape your body where you want the corset to go, then cut it off and use it tp create the pattern

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    put on an old shirt, duct tape your body where you want the corset to go, then cut it off and use it tp create the pattern
    that's at least semi-genius. Yay smart people! I'm pretty easily impressed...

Quote Originally Posted by Scar

You're genius. iwas thinking about tracing one i already have onto that flimsy paper, but that sounds easier. And more fun.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Can I suggest that if you can find it, use spiral steel for the boning. I have a friend that makes corsets to order, but she's over here in the UK. People are always complaining about plastic boning, so if you can find spiral steel and the closures for each bone, you'll be laughing.
    You may have to travel to find it, but it would be worth it, if you buy a large amount, unless you can find some site to buy it from.
    Try here... http://www.farthingales.on.ca/bones.php

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

what exactly is spiral steel compared to regular steel??
    that duct tape idea is the coolest shit... i want a corset made of duct tape.

thanks for the advice on the websites, guys! I actually went to Walmart tonight with my roomies and found inexpensive materials. I'm going to do the duct taping of the shirt tonight. We'll take pictures.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

should be cool! I am looking forward to hearing if it works

yeah that would be awesome
    i know ill never in my life do it, but i want to make a beaded corset... that would be amazing.
    and honestly, probably easier than sewing a corset haha... for me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    yeah that would be awesome
    i know ill never in my life do it, but i want to make a beaded corset... that would be amazing.
    and honestly, probably easier than sewing a corset haha... for me anyways.
    That would be freakin awesome. And I may steal that idea... or some version of it... that would be a fun project. For an hour, at least. After that I'll probably want to shoot myself

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

Don't hesitate to check out http://www.sewingpatterns.com for their selection of patterns, they have a whole costume section. Corsetmaking is the best for all things including instructional videos etc. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

i just got an idea from my big sis and her bf about the pattern making. instead of cutting up a t-shirt and not having a proper fit, she suggested using cling wrap and duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Janiac02
    That would be freakin awesome. And I may steal that idea... or some version of it... that would be a fun project. For an hour, at least. After that I'll probably want to shoot myself
    ahh beading is super fun for me, but yeah i get bored of it sometimes, real fast. i can sit and do a few hours a day for a month or two, then just be like "omg this is so boring im gonna die"... few months later ill pick it up again tho
    id have a corset done in maybe a few years haha!!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

what exactly is spiral steel compared to regular steel??
    Spiral Steel is basically 2 springs that have been in intertwined and then flattened. It is lighter, more flexible, and easier to cut. You do need special end-closures, but it's worth it.

Michelle Aston's Avatar deviant to the core

DUCT TAPE rules!

ahh beading is super fun for me, but yeah i get bored of it sometimes, real fast. i can sit and do a few hours a day for a month or two, then just be like "omg this is so boring im gonna die"... few months later ill pick it up again tho
    id have a corset done in maybe a few years haha!!
    I couldn't make an entire corset of beads, I've decided, but I'd definitely add some as a decoration. If you ever get that ambitious, please take pictures. I'd love to see it

as it turns out, unless you know what you're doing, making a corset of duct tape (while a bit tipsy) is a bad idea. Good thing my sister is a nurse. wrapping me in duct tape went okay, though it is really lumpy and not laying flat. the trouble came when i tried to cut myself out of it. I only needed two stitches, so it wasn't a big deal. in retrospect, it may have been a two person job. But I am discouraged. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I may just buy a pattern, which i was trying to avoid. hey, I'm a college student (read: broke.) Thanks to all for the advice! I'm not going to give up. I'm too stubborn for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Aston
    DUCT TAPE rules!

Hey, the duct tape by it's self was hot. it was everything after that was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Janiac02
    I couldn't make an entire corset of beads, I've decided, but I'd definitely add some as a decoration. If you ever get that ambitious, please take pictures. I'd love to see it
    well first i need the corset haha... but yeah... once i found or made one that i COULD stitch beads onto, i would definitely do it!
    but i think i could still manage to make one out of beads hehe... in peices... like how a skirt or a pair of jeans is made in peices, then sewn together... i could stitch up panels of peyote stitched beadwork and put it together with some boning inside... probably wood boning so it wouldnt break the beads...
    okay im gonna stop thinking out loud now, cause i think none of you know what im talking about (peyote stitch blah blah wtf??)

antiseptic fashion's Avatar Antiseptic Fashion
    Not sure, the entire company was found on a doorstep.

We will sell corset patterns, depending on what kind you're looking for.

+ Reply to Thread