+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wrong head space ...

Default Wrong head space ...

Can't concentrate. Can't focus. Can't sleep and for hte most part I've found myself staring off into space when I speak to people. I'm still listening and respond but I'm simply not there. There's a few reasons and they're all seriously screwing with my head.

1) I got a new full-time, 9-5.30pm job as a PR and Communications Officer at an Internet Company, my role also includes writing gaming reviews for an associated website - you'd think it was a dream job - I've never worked more than 25 hours a week so that's stressing me
    2) the company i'm working for is in direct competition with the company most of my mates work for, to top things off, the gaming site i'm writing for is in even closer competition than the one my mates are at
    3) another position just opened up in Sydney and its something that i could get as a TV hsot for a gaming show. However, its only 3 months but would be something i'd love to do, of course at the sacrifice of my current employment and its rare to even get a permanent full-time job, especially for someone 21, fresh out of uni with no real experience

Here's the problem, if I apply for the job in Sydney, I have to move keep it a secret so as not to piss off my new employer, something to fall back on. If I take the job in Sydney (assuming I get it - to be honest I'm probably up there with a damn good chance) then it's only three months. ie sacrificing full-time work for a three month bout of fun but with nothing to fall back on. that said, taking up the job in sydney would let open up other paths into radio and possibly cement me with a games journalist position somewhere.

i don't want to be stuck in an office, "but it's a great opportunity to gather experience and work your way up" yeah well so is going to sydney. Just different paths. Fuck, both are risky really. But heading to sydney would get me away from everything for a while and let me relax .. something I haven't done for years. Went from school, to uni, to full-time work. Sure i've partied but i haven't really had time to chill and focus on nothing.

Grrr .. i think its living with my parents. ALl that pressure stuff. Worst thing is, I know i've got a great opportunity here. Fuck.

In any case, i've been thinking about this too much. Waaaaaaay too much.

I'm not expecting replies. Just needed to post ya know?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Wrong head space ...

does your current employer know about your potential job offer? would be nice if you could talk things over with him before you really need to make a decision. id explore what all your options are first more fully.

i'd personally take the short term job if i could. if nothing else just for a less stressfull workspace for the time being. if you could do that and have the old job still available to return to when it finishes up, well, that would be near perfect. who knows, it may create its own new opportunities in terms of advancement and jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    does your current employer know about your potential job offer? would be nice if you could talk things over with him before you really need to make a decision. id explore what all your options are first more fully.

i'd personally take the short term job if i could. if nothing else just for a less stressfull workspace for the time being. if you could do that and have the old job still available to return to when it finishes up, well, that would be near perfect. who knows, it may create its own new opportunities in terms of advancement and jobs.
    Yeah. I'd like to discuss the new job with my employer but I'm kind of scared that they won't want me back and will start looking for another employee to replace me now. I'm hoping I can prove myself in the following weeks and make myself invaluable so that they don't really have an option but to take me back. In the meantime, it's still screwing with me.

I figure I'll place the application and discuss it with them if I'm called for an interview because I'll have to take at least a day or two off from work to fly to Sydney to do the interview anyways.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I'm only 17 and I'm fucking excited by the prospect of a well paying full time job. Its something that just tickles me. And I'm willing to go to pretty much any length to get a job, just to fuel my paintball addiction haha.

Jebadiah's Avatar Senior Member

If I got an interview, I'd call in with some bull about a nasty virus. And only tell my employer about the job if I was offered it. Your new, and you don't wont to give them the a bad impression of yourself, so lie instead./?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

just out of curiosity, what did you study in university?

Quote Originally Posted by Jebadiah
    If I got an interview, I'd call in with some bull about a nasty virus. And only tell my employer about the job if I was offered it. Your new, and you don't wont to give them the a bad impression of yourself, so lie instead./?

Was thinking about that!

Also, I studied a Bachelor of Media at uni. It doesn't really qualify you to do anything. But whilst I was at uni I set up a gaming review section for the uni paper and made all the contacts I needed within the games industry (for free gear ) then I began writing gaming reviews and news for www.games.internode.on.au. At the same time I had a music radio program on at a community station and I've also been writing band interview (got to interview Slipknot!!!!) and CD reviews for a local street press called dB Magazine. Ahhhh, and I've produced one or two CD's and gig solo acoustic around the joint.

Ummmm .. I'm also presenting a gaming radio program. Essentially I'm a games journalist, but I've enough experience across the board and I'm smart enough to do pretty much anything. I'm cocky too haha

+ Reply to Thread