+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Cool Kids.

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

Default The Cool Kids.

I never have been one. I've been perfectly okay with that, and I was content in believing there were entire groups of people dorkier than me. I called them the "D&D" kids, which by general definition to us less nerdy nerds is anyone who plays RPGs, and eats breathes, and sleeps comics. How then, with my apparently judgmental nature, did I manage to drag myself right into the middle of that group of people? Geez, you date one LARPer and suddenly you've assimiliated. Then I join this forum, and have been further sucked in. It's crazy, how this works!
    Ok, I'm really not that horrible. I do love you guys though. This is the first and only forum I've hung around for more than one or two posts. The majority of all the conversation is intelligent, and the rare person who decides to be a complete jackass is never in the majority. I'm glad I never tried to be one of the cool kids.

Default Re: The Cool Kids.

We love having you...for dinner. Ha
    How is your apt thing going anyway..?

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    We love having you...for dinner. Ha
    How is your apt thing going anyway..?
    It's going... verrrrry slowly. I found a roommate, who seems like she might be pretty cool, except she's very slow on checking her email and it's hard to even have a whole conversation with her as she's in another country with a completely different time zone. In a way I count the time lag as a good thing, because I'm not sure she needs to be around here for the biggest mockery of Irish culture known to mankind. Did I mention she's from Ireland? Sure ya figured that out by the last statement.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

my mom thinks im cool

MrGoff's Avatar Member

Well as for being one who was called a nerd and all other names wayyy back I've done some of the coolest things. I was a roadie for 5 years. Now im a Body Piercer. I been in Mags, Movies ect...Do all those things make me cool ? Hell no but I dont care I gave up on that long ago. Now I live to make me happy. As for RPGs they helped me, now I can go on stage and jump right in and its a game to me not work thats why I love what i do. As for Comics I work in a Tattoo shop that helped lol. My 9year old is growing up the same I hope she will never fall for the cool thing. What am I saying she loves games and is in the top 25 out of her grade. As for the cool kids. the coolest guy back in my class. Well he changed the oil in my car some years ago. lol

HollyGrave's Avatar Junior Member

I´m really not cool at all and I´m proud of that!!! ;D

Who needs to be cool..?

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I am cool in the spring.. then I am hot, then chilly, then Frozen

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoff
    Well as for being one who was called a nerd and all other names wayyy back I've done some of the coolest things. I was a roadie for 5 years. Now im a Body Piercer. I been in Mags, Movies ect...Do all those things make me cool ? Hell no but I dont care I gave up on that long ago. Now I live to make me happy. As for RPGs they helped me, now I can go on stage and jump right in and its a game to me not work thats why I love what i do. As for Comics I work in a Tattoo shop that helped lol. My 9year old is growing up the same I hope she will never fall for the cool thing. What am I saying she loves games and is in the top 25 out of her grade. As for the cool kids. the coolest guy back in my class. Well he changed the oil in my car some years ago. lol
    Yeah, they pretty much all had the best days of their lives in high school, maybe some college. It's all down hill from there for them. I still haven't done much that's cool, myself, but I think I can live with that.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janiac02
    Yeah, they pretty much all had the best days of their lives in high school, maybe some college. It's all down hill from there for them. I still haven't done much that's cool, myself, but I think I can live with that.

oh i get it, were better than everyone else right?

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    oh i get it, were better than everyone else right?
    Precisely. :-P
    No we're not better than everyone else, and some of my friends are "those" people and they are quite successful. The entire tone of this thread really isn't particularly serious, and I'm shockingly not that judgmental. Lighten up Captain Literal. Or don't, but I'm in no mood to argue and defend myself to the death today. Way too lovely out. I'll get back to you later on that, if you so choose.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

HOORAY for the young professionals!
    We'll stay out of your way. We will give you the world.
    We will find an easy way to live life far away from you.
    Give head. Get ahead. Play dirty, not fair.
    Be a billionaire. Be a jillion... uh... aire.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

never could figure out what cool people were about

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    never could figure out what cool people were about

well seeing as how i grew up in a prety ghetto area, in high school all the cool kids were in gangs and solld drugs,shot people etc. The realy cool kids were the ones who had done time in juvie, and i know a few who were old enough for adult prison. Needless to say being on the football team or a cheerleader didint make you cool because to be on a school activity you needed good grades, altho there were a few exceptions to that rule, some of the football players were straight up dope pushers while others actualy got bullied by the kids who were in the gangs and such. I didint do drugs or shoot anyone threfore i was very uncool

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    well seeing as how i grew up in a prety ghetto area, in high school all the cool kids were in gangs and solld drugs,shot people etc. The realy cool kids were the ones who had done time in juvie, and i know a few who were old enough for adult prison. Needless to say being on the football team or a cheerleader didint make you cool because to be on a school activity you needed good grades, altho there were a few exceptions to that rule, some of the football players were straight up dope pushers while others actualy got bullied by the kids who were in the gangs and such. I didint do drugs or shoot anyone threfore i was very uncool
    The popular kids at my high school were generally the "preppy" ones. Abercrombie and Fitch was pretty huge, and I never did figure out why. There were several cliques going on, but there were also plenty of people that didn't fit into a stereotype, and didn't mold themselves to any particular group just because they were popular and dressed in expensive clothes. The ones who were immature enough to make fun of anyone that they didn't think was as good as them are the ones who deserve my wrath, and yes, I did in fact think I was better than them. Anyone who thinks it's a good time to make fun of someone because of the way they dress, or worse, pick on someone because they have some type of physical or mental handicap probably have plenty of issues going on inside, but I can't help but think that they are pieces of shit, because they knew better. Woah run-on sentence.

Xochitl's Avatar Senior Member

I wasn't cool in school and I am glad because once I got out all the cool people were messed up & didn't do much with their lives although that is what people thought they would do. That was when they peaked and that is sad.

Now they are my age with teenage kids they didn't plan to have, a mountain of debt and don't appear very happy. I know I ran into them a lot as I worked for the public health system for awhile when I was in college & saw many of them doing exactly what wasn't expected of them & when they saw me you could see the embarassment in their eyes.

So yes high school wasn't great, but the rest of my life is & I enjoy every minute of it. I feel bad that they didn't get to live their dreams, since even though some of them were downright horrible to me & just cannot bring myself to be punitive and laugh at them. I learn a lot from people like that & I hope others do as well.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh right the cool people, they must be the people who remember me from like 20 years ago and are suprised when I don't have a clue who they might have been

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I was never one of the "cool kids" at school. I was one of Janiac's nerds that ate & slept comics and Monty Python (though I didn't start playing RPGs until I was in my mid-20s). The strange thng now, people that were the Cool Kids at school are now the "state-funded child-spewing breeders" that are so predominant over here, since the government seems to think if you're producing children, you're contributing to the country, (even if you don't work and never have or will)

The thing is, these people see me, the Goth lad in the skin-tight jeans, leather jacket and huge boots for kicking and they probably think I'm the cool kid now. Funny how things turn around.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I don't care about cool. fact is, if some one is cool, I probably don't want to be thier friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I was never one of the "cool kids" at school. I was one of Janiac's nerds that ate & slept comics and Monty Python (though I didn't start playing RPGs until I was in my mid-20s). The strange thng now, people that were the Cool Kids at school are now the "state-funded child-spewing breeders" that are so predominant over here, since the government seems to think if you're producing children, you're contributing to the country, (even if you don't work and never have or will)

The thing is, these people see me, the Goth lad in the skin-tight jeans, leather jacket and huge boots for kicking and they probably think I'm the cool kid now. Funny how things turn around.
    Yes, it's odd how easily they confuse the "trendy fuck" look with the I've-been-doing-the-goth-thing-since-way-before-you-thought-it-was-cool look

Yes, it's odd how easily they confuse the "trendy fuck" look with the I've-been-doing-the-goth-thing-since-way-before-you-thought-it-was-cool look
    Strange thing is, though I didn't dress like a goth at school, my whole life was bound to send me into Gothdom. Once we were asked to do a picture in metalwork made from brass etched with acid, so people had to choose an animal, Everyone chose cats and dogs, putting their etching on brightly coloured perspex. I chose a BAT and put it on Black perspex.
    I was always drawn towards darker things. Goth is not just a thing you do, a lot of people are meant to be goths, no matter how they try to change it.

I couldn't care less about the cool kids at school, and I couldn't care less now. If someone thinks I'm cool or not is of no consequence to me. I'm just me, nothing else.

Strange thing is, though I didn't dress like a goth at school, my whole life was bound to send me into Gothdom. Once we were asked to do a picture in metalwork made from brass etched with acid, so people had to choose an animal, Everyone chose cats and dogs, putting their etching on brightly coloured perspex. I chose a BAT and put it on Black perspex.
    I was always drawn towards darker things. Goth is not just a thing you do, a lot of people are meant to be goths, no matter how they try to change it.

I couldn't care less about the cool kids at school, and I couldn't care less now. If someone thinks I'm cool or not is of no consequence to me. I'm just me, nothing else.
    At this stage of the game, I certainly hope no one continues to judge you. It honestly mattered to me in like junior high, not because I wanted to be just like them, but because I got sick of being made fun of. That should've made their opinion count less, I suppose, but my mind didn't work that way then. I'd say all people are meant to be something, the way you've always felt drawn to darker things, other people are perhaps all happy and rainbows. It's good that you can just be yourself and not let others' opinions get to you. I wish I had developed that skill much earlier.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

blech. I don't want to talk about the cool vs. uncool thing, I try to forget high school generally cause it;s done and over with... just wanted to say that it is still very amusing to me occasionally running into people from then who haven't seen me since and are like "holy crap, what happened to you? you look, um, different". heh heh. makes me laugh on the inside every time.

At this stage of the game, I certainly hope no one continues to judge you. It honestly mattered to me in like junior high, not because I wanted to be just like them, but because I got sick of being made fun of. That should've made their opinion count less, I suppose, but my mind didn't work that way then. I'd say all people are meant to be something, the way you've always felt drawn to darker things, other people are perhaps all happy and rainbows. It's good that you can just be yourself and not let others' opinions get to you. I wish I had developed that skill much earlier.
    Hell, people at work still make judgements about me, mostly about my out of work activities. A few years ago, in my wife's old workplace, someone had snuck into the men's toilets and smeared pig's blood all over the place. My wife, being the only Goth in the building, was immediately suspect because "that's the sort of thing Goths do, isn't it?"
    My mother has resigned herself to the fact that her son is a Goth (I think she knew all along, but was too afraid to admit it), and I think she is scared that the nephew that looks like my double at his age may be heading the same way.

Hell, people at work still make judgements about me, mostly about my out of work activities. A few years ago, in my wife's old workplace, someone had snuck into the men's toilets and smeared pig's blood all over the place. My wife, being the only Goth in the building, was immediately suspect because "that's the sort of thing Goths do, isn't it?"
    My mother has resigned herself to the fact that her son is a Goth (I think she knew all along, but was too afraid to admit it), and I think she is scared that the nephew that looks like my double at his age may be heading the same way.
    Oh.That makes me sad, yet really I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by the_darkness_calls
    blech. I don't want to talk about the cool vs. uncool thing, I try to forget high school generally cause it;s done and over with... just wanted to say that it is still very amusing to me occasionally running into people from then who haven't seen me since and are like "holy crap, what happened to you? you look, um, different". heh heh. makes me laugh on the inside every time.
    Oddly enough, this was really just a roundabout way to say I think you guys are awesome

this is my 3000th post on this website, does that make me cool?

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

that, and cause you like pirates! hehe

+ Reply to Thread