+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead ipods?

Poppy's Avatar Member

Default Dead ipods?

My second gen 20 gig ipod just died on me this week and now I am unsure what to do with it. i was told it needs a new hard drive or new battery or both. Gah, I can't live with out the damn thing but if it is dead and can't be fix I would like to find something to do with it. Not sure if there is a big market for dead ipods on ebay or a recycling program, as I am not one to fill landfills with my junk. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Dead ipods?

Pray to the great god/s and ask for it to be transformed into a Creative Zen.

That's all I can offer.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

get a creative zen. iPods blow, hard.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

You could always use it as a coaster? Take it apart and use the circuits as cyber-goth jewelry parts? I've seen someone do this.

Another option would be to shoot an email to Apple's support team.

http://www.apple.com/contact/

The should be able to tell you if it is still under warranty and if not how much it would be to repair it then you can decide if it is worth it.

That is one of my beefs with the larger iPods, they are basically hard drives which means means moving them is bad. As much as I like the idea of a unit that could hold all my music, I run around with the thing too much to do that. If you are sticking with ipod you may want to consider the nano or the shuffle. Less moving parts is good in something like this. Of course, if it was the battery this wouldn't have helped.

I have heard good things about the Creative Zen. For any of you who use it, how is the selection of accessories?

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy
    My second gen 20 gig ipod just died on me this week and now I am unsure what to do with it. i was told it needs a new hard drive or new battery or both. Gah, I can't live with out the damn thing but if it is dead and can't be fix I would like to find something to do with it. Not sure if there is a big market for dead ipods on ebay or a recycling program, as I am not one to fill landfills with my junk. Any suggestions?

There infact is a HUGE market for dead ipods on ebay and everywhere pretty much. Theres plenty of people who do repairs and replacements.

and zens blow. Ive had one, bitch was huge, all my friends had some, theyre all broken.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

If you have an Apple Store near you, if you trade in your old iPod (regardless of condition) when you buy a new one they will tkae 10% off the price of new one. It's part of their recyling program.

http://www.apple.com/environment/recycling/

I'd just wish they'd do this with the computer systems, too.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    There infact is a HUGE market for dead ipods on ebay and everywhere pretty much. Theres plenty of people who do repairs and replacements.

and zens blow. Ive had one, bitch was huge, all my friends had some, theyre all broken.
    yeah the first gen Zens where prety bad, but now they are a whole lot better.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    Pray to the great god/s and ask for it to be transformed into a Creative Zen.
    FUCK Creative Labs. Anything I have ever bought from that company COMPLETELY BLOWS.

I went through 8 Zen Micros (in 4 months) because they would all freeze up mid-song (never on the same song).
    EDIT: And their customer service blows too. 30 minutes JUST to do a RA.
    I LOVE my Microsoft zune though.

Haha. That's ridiculous. Sorry to hear.
    I'm not a fan of the micros, or any MP3 player thats too small. I'll end up accidentally eating or stepping on it or something.
    My jukebox was my first and only MP3 player. I have tried on multiple occasions to 'accidentally' break so I could give myself an excuse to buy a "better"/"newer" one...but it still lives just as day one from the box. We've come to terms now in our relationship and love one another wholeheartedly, especially with Zen's snazzy new skin I made for it.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

gha! i hate ipods. i dont care what brand mp3 player i have as long as its got batteries that can be taken out and replaced or recharged. ive got a cute little one that just takes one AAA battery, its fabulous. holds maybe 40 songs... honestly its all i need. i wouldnt know wtf to do with a huge fuckin ipod! haha...
    anyways yeah.. ipod batteries eventually die completely and it costs more to replace the battery than to buy a new ipod. it happened to my brother's nano... lame.
    i hope you find a good player though, if not another ipod, or a fixed one!!

Poppy's Avatar Member

I just need something for work. I work in a factory and music really helps pass the time but with all the machines you can't hear the radio. My hubs offered to get me a cheap one that will hold about that many as I general listen to the same 10 songs. Oh well such is life I guess.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy
    I just need something for work. I work in a factory and music really helps pass the time but with all the machines you can't hear the radio. My hubs offered to get me a cheap one that will hold about that many as I general listen to the same 10 songs. Oh well such is life I guess.
    Where I work is much the same. Music helps the day go quicker, so even though I've only got a 128mB mp3 player, it's enough for me for now. I'm told I'm getting a new one for my birthday next month, so I can hold out for about 2 weeks. And if ned be, I can use my mobile as a back-up mp3 player, as I have about 70 songs on that.

+ Reply to Thread