+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vinyl on the Uprise?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Vinyl on the Uprise?

On a Related Note: Vinyl is seeing a minor comeback.

Vinyl- Still Holding Its Own

http://www.gemm.com/articles/

With digital downloads taking an enormous bite out of the sale of CD's (CD sales have dropped 20 percent in 2006), is the CD going to be phased out like the cassette tape? Not likely, but a new/old format is starting to reform its standing in the musical format landscape.

Vinyl records, long thought to be the choice for DJ's and audiophiles, are regaining respectability in the massive music format battle. In fact, although vinyl represents only 1 percent of the new music sold in America, that percentage is on the rise with more companies returning to the format, not only to appease the musicians (who insist upon releasing their material via the format), but the music buying public, young and old.

Furthermore, in the UK, sales of seven inch singles (45's) have climbed to 87.3 % when compared to the same three-month period last year. The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) reports annual sales on vinyl singles is now approaching 1.4 million per year.

Additionally, according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) vinyl record sales have doubled in the percentage of music sales since the year 2000 and have become a $110 million dollar industry.

This phenomenon is also creating a new surge in audio transfer technology as companies scramble to keep up with the growing demand in this market. New products that allow audiophiles to play or convert their vinyl to other formats are now competing for the audio dollar. The ION USB turntable allows users to plug, play and record music through USB ports. More and more user-friendly conversion software like Acoustic's "Spin It Again" or the TEAC units that can easily record old albums onto CD are gaining in popularity. The sale of turntables is also seeing a definite rise in sales as companies try to keep up with consumer demand and the newest gadgets and models.

But why would you buy a vinyl record and then "convert" it to another musical format? Usability and convenience are two factors. Consumers are also drawn to the physical product and album cover art- something you don't get with downloads. Some audiophiles who collect rare vinyl and older records convert the music to a more easily accessible format, thus preserving their precious record albums from overuse and exposure to the elements.
    One thing is sure, despite the incredible growth in the sale of downloads, there is still a niche market being carved in the music format landscape for the old-fashioned physical format of vinyl records. And as long as there is consumer demand, record companies are committed to meeting this demand- regardless of the format.

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Vinyl on the Uprise?

by god u can't sleep either?!??!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    by god u can't sleep either?!??!?!
    Sleep? hahahaha :P I'm dead nocturnal the second I have the chance Scar. I'll probably sleep a few hours this morning and a few this afternoon. I'm basically sitting in Pittsburgh alone now. All my friends left for the summer.

U just have insomnia?

OEC

yes insomnia at it's finest. I gave up on trying to sleep at like 3 am cause I am absolutely not one single bit tired. I am about to go pour myself a glass of wine although I was trying not to drink this week. It is OFFICIALLY Friday. What's your vote- NyQuil of wine?

yes insomnia at it's finest. I gave up on trying to sleep at like 3 am cause I am absolutely not one single bit tired. I am about to go pour myself a glass of wine although I was trying not to drink this week. It is OFFICIALLY Friday. What's your vote- NyQuil of wine?
    Wine is probably better for you. I don't know if it would put you to sleep though. What kind of wine is it?

OEC

the horrid thing about insomnia is my brain isn't working. I actually waited for your response since I couldn't make up my own mind. It's,....Yellow tail merlot. I literally have a quarter cup. hopefully it'll kick in the drowsiness. I wanna cry. I wanna sleeeeeeep!

the horrid thing about insomnia is my brain isn't working. I actually waited for your response since I couldn't make up my own mind. It's,....Yellow tail merlot. I literally have a quarter cup. hopefully it'll kick in the drowsiness. I wanna cry. I wanna sleeeeeeep!
    hehe why? Sleep is only as good as the given dream you have. You have stuff to do today?

OEC

work silly! In 6.5 short hours! I am gonna try again, my brains are starting to feel affected!

work silly! In 6.5 short hours! I am gonna try again, my brains are starting to feel affected!
    ah. yeah u better sleep. Im on break + moving. No need for a schedule. Sunrise over SD is nice tho

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

who needs sleep? you guys have been making some great posts lately!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Sleep is over-rated! I haven't bought any new vinyl for a while, but I do have some old vinyl that I wouldn't part with, even if I had sell everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    Sleep is over-rated! I haven't bought any new vinyl for a while, but I do have some old vinyl that I wouldn't part with, even if I had sell everything else.
    I got a 33-45-78 player awhile ago. Haven't bought anything new yet, it's just way more fun than cds. I had one of those old "crank up" 78 players my Grandpa gave me. Had a bunch of vinyl from the like 30s in em! I'll have to get those out here now that I think about it. Vinyl is just more fun. The feel. The smell. The Sound depending on u hook everything up

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    who needs sleep? you guys have been making some great posts lately!
    Thanks I just hope she made it to work.

OEC

Bedlamite

Things sound better on vinyl. I don't know why. I recently purchased "Closer" buy Joy Division on CD, and it sounded SO weird. It also certainly did not work to replace the original vinyl version I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Things sound better on vinyl. I don't know why. I recently purchased "Closer" buy Joy Division on CD, and it sounded SO weird. It also certainly did not work to replace the original vinyl version I had.
    Yeah, I generally like the analog sound better. I'm only gonna buy vinyl from now on. I never did like cds that much. Just gave away hundreds of the damn things. I'll only keep a cd if its not in english. It's a pain in the ass trying to set up cyrillic songlists

OEC

A friend of mine is toying with the idea of buying a USB Turntable, and charge a small fee (One Pound) to convert other people's old vinyl to mp3 for them.
    I have so much vinyl that can't be found anywhere else, so it may be the only option.

A friend of mine is toying with the idea of buying a USB Turntable, and charge a small fee (One Pound) to convert other people's old vinyl to mp3 for them.
    I have so much vinyl that can't be found anywhere else, so it may be the only option.
    Well I don't want to steal your friend's thunder, but for you this may save you money:

It seems to be well-regarded. I have not, as yet, converted any vinyl.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Well I don't want to steal your friend's thunder, but for you this may save you money:

It seems to be well-regarded. I have not, as yet, converted any vinyl.

OEC
    The problem being, how do you convert vinyl if you haven't got a USB turntable? I'm certain if he ever buys one, he'll make his money back easily.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Oh, God I would love a USB turntable

The problem being, how do you convert vinyl if you haven't got a USB turntable? I'm certain if he ever buys one, he'll make his money back easily.
    You can hook in using rca plugs and a converter. Depends how old ur turntable is. They give instructions on the site. USB turntable would be easier, but u can do it off a regular one in most cases.

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

most computers (or maybe not anymore) have a stereo plug in and/or an AV and most people's receivers are either stereo or AV, and I know they make convertors for both. there are several programs that you can get for free or trial versions from which a quick search will turn up and you can just rip vinyl music onto your computer with that program by simply plugging in your stereo/turntable/receiver into your computers soundcard. some them have file convertors allready, but you might have to get one of those too to get them into a usable format and then just burn onto a cd as you normally would.

yeah, it sounds like a pain in the ass, but it's really not and much cheaper and easier than buying a USB turntable.

so basically what OEC said, but probably making less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    most computers (or maybe not anymore) have a stereo plug in and/or an AV and most people's receivers are either stereo or AV, and I know they make convertors for both. there are several programs that you can get for free or trial versions from which a quick search will turn up and you can just rip vinyl music onto your computer with that program by simply plugging in your stereo/turntable/receiver into your computers soundcard. some them have file convertors allready, but you might have to get one of those too to get them into a usable format and then just burn onto a cd as you normally would.

yeah, it sounds like a pain in the ass, but it's really not and much cheaper and easier than buying a USB turntable.

so basically what OEC said, but probably making less sense.
    It is surprisingly easy. You really just have to check what outputs the turntable has. I have plug-ins to my comp ranging from rca to hdmi depending on the task at hand.

OEC

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

I was never aware that vinyl died. There is a huge demand for it everywhere ive been in the US, and everyone I know has collected it for years, if theyre into that whole collecting music thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis
    I was never aware that vinyl died. There is a huge demand for it everywhere ive been in the US, and everyone I know has collected it for years, if theyre into that whole collecting music thing.
    It never died. It is just starting to sell more again. I've always collected vinyl.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    It never died. It is just starting to sell more again. I've always collected vinyl.

OEC
    I have some rare stuff myself (Bela Lugosi's Dead 12") but my turntable is quite old (and cheap) so don't think it would be easy to connect it.

I have some rare stuff myself (Bela Lugosi's Dead 12") but my turntable is quite old (and cheap) so don't think it would be easy to connect it.
    It would depend on the inputs. I really couldn't tell you without checking the inputs and giving it a go if I could hook in. The USB turntable is obviously going to be more seamless if nothing else.

OEC

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

records are the only music storage device that doesnt require electricity to play

just a pin and a styro cup and a constitant spin and you can hear it

its what they put on the voyager space probes for the aliens to find

+ Reply to Thread