+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Embarassing stuff from yer childhood - the decade sucked/was awesome because

EasyRider's Avatar Senior Member

Default Embarassing stuff from yer childhood - the decade sucked/was awesome because

We have a wide range of ages here......

************ and I have the 70s in common, and the horror of being a rugrat during those years is well documented.

You don't have to enumerate the horror of your own childhood - you can mention

In my childhood (70s):

BAD because

-airplane wing collars, bell bottoms on pants that were cut to make you look like you had no genitals (happened to me)
    -caftans on women, afro perms on white women who really didn't need them (my mother regrets THAT monstrous pic)
    - the AMC Gremlin
    - tofu, carob, whole wheat cake, organic homemade yoghurt, crock pot cooking
    - Appliances that were avocado green, mustard yellow, tobacco brown, or radioactive orange (thanks to VB for that one!)
    - girls in my class wearing Holly Hobbie dresses with thick opaque tights (how the hell was I supposed to see up their skirts and see anything interesting?)

GREAT because

Cars were big muscle cars that sounded and looked cool
    Harleys were hemi-pistoned AMF monstrosities that looked and sounded cool
    Sure we had disco, but we had rock and roll and Alice Cooper
    Glam
    Punk
    My next door neighbours were suburban weed dealers and I got to smell burning marijuana every night through the shared wall of our two houses.

In my adolescence (80s)

BAD because

Metal. Yes, we had Metallica and Anthrax, VoiVod and Megadeth (back when Megadeth and Metallica could still rock) but back then a LOT of people tried to do glam metal or hair metal. Those two genres are like Goth - it's either very very good or total shit, with total shit being the majority of the output. (You remember only Motley Crue and Bon Jovi - cough Kix, Winger, Slaughter)

Jams. WTF were we thinking?

Cable knit sweaters (especially in pink). Thank you Kirk Cameron. In fact, just put Kirk Cameron on the list of most annoying things ever.

Mall rock. OMG who will win in the Tiffany/Debbie Gibson feud, and why should I give a fuck.

GOOD because

We had a TON of stuff that still has cheese appeal. A Flock of Seagulls. Talking Heads. John Hughes movies.

It was a good decade, economically speaking.

Girls had gone back to being feminine looking, after that initial genderbending nonsense in the early 80s

MTV

and LONG DUK DONG, motherfuckers!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Embarassing stuff from yer childhood - the decade sucked/was awesome because

This is a fun thread, but I'd rather you talked about this type of topic in reference to the decade rather than a specific person's age i.e. the 70's were great/horrible because . . . and then another thread the 80's were great/horrible because . . ..

If you even wanted to repost this thread that way, that would be awesome. Please please please don't post personal information about other posters on the board. I know, in specific, that the person you posted about at the beginning would be unthrilled with the reference, even though I'm sure you meant well by it.

You could do a repost on this thread for a few different decades and do a few threads if you felt like it too.

Default Re: Embarassing stuff from yer childhood - the decade sucked/was awesome because

The person in question publicly commented on being alive in that decade.

Never mind. Please kill the thread, lock it, destroy it, whatever.,

The 80's sucked because:

I could never beat Mario Level 8-1

The 80's rocked because:

Nintendo NES
    Madballs
    Comic ads that guarenteed "SUPER XRAY VISION!"
    GI Joes looked cooler back then
    Captain N
    My first intro to Skinny Puppy

And ps. Tiffany won.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

The 80s sucked 'cause? haha they were fun. All the stuff that people talk about now was just fodder for chuckles at the time.

Personally, I think it was an awesome decade for music. I remember one of my trips back to SD. First night, we went to see The Smiths. (My partner in crime is the kid in the middle of the "karate pic" taking a bow. He quit his gig at Hustler awhile back and now is some sort kind of horseracing guru).

Anyways, we were still pretty young. We were trying to figure out what "asexual" meant. Like a plant? Some older d.r. chicks thought we were cute and kind of pranced us around a bit. It was heavenly. I think we both spent a good decade looking for "her" after that. We both found "her" haha one time too few but 30 too many. That covers the 80s.

90s - Kind of a malaise. Something about a p-word is in there somewhere.

00s - Am I supposed to make pop cultural references? I don't believe in growing up.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider
    The person in question publicly commented on being alive in that decade.

Never mind. Please kill the thread, lock it, destroy it, whatever.,
    Please re-read what they wrote and please re-read the sticky in this forum.

There is no need to get huffy. Please just make new threads with the topic slanted to be just about the decade in question, which is the main point of your thread, as far as I could discern.

You were just trying to have an interesting conversation about decades, right? Not trying to embarrass another poster who is my friend, right? And not trying to make a giant fuss about your age or someone else's, right?

It is really important to me to keep the conversations on these boards on a deeper level than that shallow profile nonsense and you seem totally capable of conversing on a higher level, so there is really no need for you to get distressed when simply asked to make a new, very slightly different, thread or threads.

Part of the problems with text is that you can't "hear" the inflection.

I was more like "oh, fair enough, not fussed" than hufty.

+ Reply to Thread