+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving to the UK!

Default Moving to the UK!

Hi Guys,

Been a little while since I posted (and I can't remember but I swear I already posted something similar to this but can't find it sorry if I'm spamming!).

I've been getting a VISA together and now have 5 years to spend roaming the UK. Plan on starting in London and working my way round the districts surrounding before moving into the country and out through Scotland.

SO I was wondering, is there anyone on the boards (I know there are, just not sure who!) that could suggest where to go, what to see or better yet, wouldn't mind catching up and showing me out for a night or two once I arrive in August?

Oh, and what do I need to bring over, I'm from Australia so I'm thinking warm clothes, laptop and money for food. Haha, I haven't even looked into where to stay yet but I shall soon!

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Moving to the UK!

London obviously is the place to see it has a great alternative scene (check out the torture gardens if your into that thing) and absolutely postively check out camden market it is amazing for anything remotely alternative.

if your looking for nice beaches, hot weather and traditional fishing towns try cornwall in the south west of the UK quite a trek from London but great place.

Yorkshire is a great area if you stay away from the crappy mining towns like Doncaster it's full of skin heads who will mock/lie/cheat and generally not be nice to you for no reason....although i recommend checking out York on your way to Scotland it's a lovely area with a decent nightlife (check out Fibbers and buy a hot chocolate! seriously it'll change your life) and it has a very pretty historic town centre. Whitby to the North East of Yorkshire has a pretty cool traditional seaside holding many memories as a child for alot of people im sure....it's also home to the Whitby goth weekend which is a massive weekend of alternative clothing, goth music and general debauchery....it's also apparently the resting place of Vlad the Impaler AKA count Dracula so has a very cool alternative feel to it, i recommend going during the goth weekend just for the amazing outfits you'll see from uber cyber goth too 19th century traditional goth.

if you decide to go up to the North West at all i'de recommend Liverpool and Manchester. Liverpool has a great nightlife and if you can find the old swan inn it's a great little pub for the older alternative scene to chill out and have a drink (i recommend the Red Eric a lovely little home brew :-D) and if your up for a nightclub it has the Krazy House which is a pretty well known alt nightclub across the country and it's an absolute blast.

Theres loads of other place s but theres some areas i've lived/had experience with but England is brimming with an underground alternative scene it is however ruined by football fans and chavs who tend to be very narrow minded (read: stupid)

as for things to bring, August should be very warm but bring warm clothes for the winter nights in october time as they'll get very very cold. Laptop is great as most of England has heard of Wi-Fi now. But bring your wellies as well :-)

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

You will have to go to at least one Whitby Goth Weekend...

Wow Sceptic_Messiah! Thanks for the information. I feel like I've had my own guided tour :P

The Whitby Goth weekend sounds awesome and I've heard Camden is great. I'll probably have to leave my boots in Australia thanks to the weight so a new pair will probably be one of my first purchases!

Love my laptop, not sure I could bear to live without it, honestly (and it keeps me warm at night).

Skinheads hey, I must admit, I don't fancy bumping into any as I've heard they're quite obnoxious and somewhat more violent than your average skins in other countries (though we get some fuck heads here as well!).

Bedlamite

Camden is great, also... expensive. There are loads of Charity Shops to get very cool things.

I'd suggest stopping in Southern England too... Some people think Canterbury is cheesy, but I just love it. Its got wonderful shops, very cool things to see, and just a lovely little place. I'd spend a few days going through Canterbury, Dover, and just admiring the countryside... There are some very nicely priced hostels in Canterbury...

I'd also recommend going to Bath (of course! That's a touristy can't miss, Roman Baths are teh coolest!), and Stratford Upon Avon. I mostly love it because I'm such a huge fan of Shakespeare, but... its scenic, a lovely trip up from London, gorgeous huge swans, thatched roofs... JUST BEAUT. Plus the theatre, and the Cathedral...

( ^_^ )

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Camden is great, also... expensive. There are loads of Charity Shops to get very cool things.

I'd suggest stopping in Southern England too... Some people think Canterbury is cheesy, but I just love it. Its got wonderful shops, very cool things to see, and just a lovely little place. I'd spend a few days going through Canterbury, Dover, and just admiring the countryside... There are some very nicely priced hostels in Canterbury...

I'd also recommend going to Bath (of course! That's a touristy can't miss, Roman Baths are teh coolest!), and Stratford Upon Avon. I mostly love it because I'm such a huge fan of Shakespeare, but... its scenic, a lovely trip up from London, gorgeous huge swans, thatched roofs... JUST BEAUT. Plus the theatre, and the Cathedral...

( ^_^ )
    There's a publishing house in Bath I'd love to find work with. I've applied five or six times for various editing/staff writing positions and have been unsuccessful but dammit I'm still trying!

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by StolenName
    There's a publishing house in Bath I'd love to find work with. I've applied five or six times for various editing/staff writing positions and have been unsuccessful but dammit I'm still trying!
    I'll keep cheerin' you on! I'm not sure how it would be to -live- in Bath, cause I've only been there once... but I'm sure It would be loverly.

Yay. Thank you! I just need a place to head to, a goal, and apparently that publisher is excellent to work for

+ Reply to Thread