+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you motivate yourself to exersize?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default How do you motivate yourself to exersize?

So, I just joined a gym again, well, unfroze my membership really. And I'm about to head out and do a little cardio on the elliptical because that is fairly gentle on my messed up ankle while still getting my heart rate up higher than it generally gets operating a keyboard or a camera. I'm just starting out again, so I'm trying to ease into it.

I'm going to drag my ass over and do it, but I'm like complaining to myself that I don't wanna. How do you motivate yourself to exersize?

Default Re: How do you motivate yourself to exersize?

I bike ride everymorning and everynight with weights (uphill too), i cant do pushups because both of my wrists are broken..but they healed already (never went to the doctor for them after they broke). So they just cant bend that far anymore.

Hrm..Other than running around telling my roomy he's lazy..thats It I suppose.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I find vanity very motivating

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

well I walk everywhere (no car, plus I'm close to pretty much everything I need), and I study martial arts and practice a lot, because I enjoy doing it, I can't get myself to go to the gym unless I'm getting ready for a tournament or something.

Stand naked in the mirror.

"Hmm..okay I really don't wanna continue down this path. Time to exercise"

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I walk everywhere as well though all damn beer i drink negates any positives. teh sads.

I'm extremely vain and have always had issues with how I look. Considering I was one of those "obese" children of the generation, I made a point of changing things.

Currently I work less than ten metres from my gym in the city, so I take all my stuff after work and just force myself to turn left into the gym at the bus stop instead of turning right and heading home.

Plus, working in an office, you feel this desperate need to clear your lungs.

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

i walk more than i used to since i moved to the city, that helps. I don't really believe in gyms, since i've been running since high school and did it in college too and you can kinda do that on your own. I really need to get running again though, i would love to run the maine marathon in october. My arm workout totally comes from my once a week job on sundays, esp. when the young kid calls out and i gotta load all the 50 lb bags of shit for people cause the older guy cant and the other giy has a bad back... i'm not complaining though. although it does kinda scare me that i can lift almost half my body weight, haha.

in terms of getting motivated, it's usually me just being like hey, you need to go work out and then listening to the right music when i do.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I go to work. It's all the exercise I need. When you're lifting boxes and walking around all day, you tend to not need to go to the gym

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I go to work. It's all the exercise I need. When you're lifting boxes and walking around all day, you tend to not need to go to the gym
    I think there's a difference between working at the gym and working out though. For instance, doing the physical excercise at work most likely leads to tiredness and physical strength. When you head to the gym there's a feeling of invigoration afterwards, it's energising.

When you're at the gym, the idea is generally to really stress your body, get your heart pumping, sweat and run (if you can). Once your body settles, your heart keeps pumping and running and your muscles are burning, that's when you know you're working.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

personally, I go on adam4adam.com and lookit all the thin fit guys, I get pissed off that I don't look like that anymore...that motivates me

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    personally, I go on adam4adam.com and lookit all the thin fit guys, I get pissed off that I don't look like that anymore...that motivates me
    Wow. I'd just, you know, not go there anymore! But then again, I rely on *charm* with reasonable, rather than brilliant, good looks

reubs's Avatar Senior Member

i have all my weights at home...i dont really think about motivation anymore, ive been doing it for so long now that its just habit. when its particularly cold is the only time i consider not training...but i only have to kick my arse a little these days, not a lot.
    plus, i have my training goals...so i know that if i dont train, i wont achieve them

fedora's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I find vanity very motivating
    So do I..

Some time ago I was thinking about putting on my fridge some Scar's photos and repeat "If you want to become totally like her, don't eat and go exersizing!" but never realized the idea..in my case vanity is enough to make me keep fit

c4wolf's Avatar Member

believe it or not.... its this simple...
    stick to your guns if u r real bout it
    one step at a time.. get out of the house, get to the gym,start to work out that simple... you'll find your body after a while likes the new co2 in your blood stream... craving those feelings...
    works for me... but iama simple guy

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

While respecting our mutual boundaries: I look at myself naked in full length mirrors. If anything is off, I'm all over the gym. I'm joining one here July 1 to whip off the law school malaise (not too bad though)

OEC

Superna's Avatar Senior Member

When I see people my age who look 20 years older, I'm motivated to continue exercising.

+ Reply to Thread