+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supernatural

Default Supernatural

Watching that show with the two brothers who kill ghosts and stuff and I was amazed that their playing Rooster, a remix of Rooster, by Alice In Chains on the closing credits..

Just found it odd. That's all. Sorry to disturb you!

(AiC has got to be my most favrite band ever)

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: Supernatural

'Goth' bands pop up all over the place on incidentals and credit background music (BGM), especially those who had a new album release planned when the series first piloted and one of the pro-TV record labels pushing them. It's a standard deal for the studios to license tracks at very low fees in return for the 'airtime', and to be blunt most TV producers haven't a clue what musical genre fits what show. Supernatural is "Southern Gothic" and so gets an AIC track, but they could've used Marilyn, Evanescence or at a push even Nickelback as they're all known for being BGM whores. What they won't do is play a good new band that asks for a fair royalty rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    'Goth' bands pop up all over the place on incidentals and credit background music (BGM), especially those who had a new album release planned when the series first piloted and one of the pro-TV record labels pushing them. It's a standard deal for the studios to license tracks at very low fees in return for the 'airtime', and to be blunt most TV producers haven't a clue what musical genre fits what show. Supernatural is "Southern Gothic" and so gets an AIC track, but they could've used Marilyn, Evanescence or at a push even Nickelback as they're all known for being BGM whores. What they won't do is play a good new band that asks for a fair royalty rate.
    I was going to argue that Alice In Chains is better regarded as being Seattle Grunge, though Jerry Cantrell provides a heavy southern feel. And the album dirt was released through Columbia, who I assume still hold the title now.

What annoyed me more was that Rooster is about the Vietnam war and has nothing to do with the show, though once again, you've covered that point as well. Funnily enough, that album was released in 1992 and hasn't had a re-release or put out another album for quite some time (even though they're currently touring minus Layne Staley - for the obvious reason he's dead).

Thanks for the information. I'll still cringe when I hear my favorite music out of context but I'm going to have to look further into these little dealings.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

never could get into that show

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    never could get into that show
    Two hunky guys a-fightin evil spirits? I say- I say two hunky guys? How can you not be into it?

Unless of course you're the wrong gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Two hunky guys a-fightin evil spirits? I say- I say two hunky guys? How can you not be into it?

Unless of course you're the wrong gender.

I like the style of the show moreover, I'm the wrong gender to enjoy the whole hunky guy thing, however it's good to see two "ruggedly-handsome" blokes on screen. Haha.

The whole trashy, brutal, ghost hunting thing goes well with the semi-rock kinda feel to the show. Stories ain't too bad either.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think i'll go with boob.. er I mean ghost whisperer.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think i'll go with boob.. er I mean ghost whisperer.
    Hmmm .. I got boob enough without the television. Besides, then I'd have to deal with the story!

+ Reply to Thread