+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Don't be judgemental" is an utter crock I judge

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Default "Don't be judgemental" is an utter crock I judge

It seems like being accused of being "judgemental" is being told that you have committed a crime against free-thinking society. Do you think that being judgemental is a no-no? I don't. I think you have to make judgements every instant of every day even when you're asleep dreaming. Otherwise you might be a candle in the wind being pissed on from all sides above and below or an even worse mixed metaphor (nothing wrong with them either). It doesn't mean you are not open minded and surely you are allowed to judge Judge Judy or anything else?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: "Don't be judgemental" is an utter crock I judge

depends. If you're a prick then it's not a good thing.

but I don't really like people that are assholes. I can get along with anyone, and as long as you shut the fuck up and leave me alone and don't subject me to your bullshit, then you'll probably never have to hear mine or any ill words on my side of the table. I'm the kinda guy that probably thinks your an asshole, but I'd rather just have you go away than tell you about it, because I know it's not going to change anything and make you stop being one. I don't seek out drama or trouble. yeah people judge other's, it's just the way that we live, but if you tell everyone what you think of them, then don't expect them to be happy about it.

dead_but_twitching's Avatar Member

isn't that contra-productive
    if we live in a society that boasts with its acceptance of free thinking and free will?
    sure i agree that some people are assholes, but then again, if someones an asshole isn't that just a question of personal interpretation?
    but if someone is an asshole in your mind, you still have the liberty to say what you think and enlighten him....
    or just kick the shit out of him.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I believe one has to form judgments. One judgment one can make is simply not to care about the "non-judgmental" card being played by one's fellows. I need more context here. What are you judging and why? How does it affect these people? Overall, I would tend to agree with you. I enjoy conversation, but I don't really care what other folks think. Is it that hard to agree to disagree?

Jackie T

As a note, helcyon is using the proper UK spelling of judgement whereas it is generally judgment in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    but if you tell everyone what you think of them, then don't expect them to be happy about it.
    Oh yeah... exactly. Yes I think I make judgements all the time but it's pointless actually spouting off about them at each moment as they are primarily for your own benefit and help in making decisions in living your own life, maintaining personal security, personal development etc. I'm not going to think that anyone else wants to hear it uninvited very often even if you think they could do with the advice. Many folk are not really open to advice so why bother in those cases. I make judgements that I believe in but who the fuck made me or anyone the authority in most things.

Plus you are going absolutely nowhere if you cannot totally modify or change judgements you have previously made upon re-thinking or new information. The alternative is stupidly stubborn at best or probably simply thick. Oh and I think you can be open minded enough to reserve judgement at times as well... that's a judgement strategy available to people who don't think they know it all....

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    Oh yeah... exactly. Yes I think I make judgements all the time but it's pointless actually spouting off about them at each moment as they are primarily for your own benefit and help in making decisions in living your own life, maintaining personal security, personal development etc. I'm not going to think that anyone else wants to hear it uninvited very often even if you think they could do with the advice. Many folk are not really open to advice so why bother in those cases. I make judgements that I believe in but who the fuck made me or anyone the authority in most things.

Plus you are going absolutely nowhere if you cannot totally modify or change judgements you have previously made upon re-thinking or new information. The alternative is stupidly stubborn at best or probably simply thick. Oh and I think you can be open minded enough to reserve judgement at times as well... that's a judgement strategy available to people who don't think they know it all....

I always see a curious paradox there. Obviously, you have to always be willing to change your beliefs based on additional information or simply a change of heart. If you are speaking of social discourse, it always seems some will try to pigeonhole you into a given set of beliefs (often ones you may not have even held). There is generally no need to offer opinions on anything and everything. At the same time, I find the level of public discourse pitiful due to the disingenuous tactics used by some.

I would hope noone takes themselves so seriously as to believe they have all the answers.

Jackie T

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    As a note, helcyon is using the proper UK spelling of judgement whereas it is generally judgment in the U.S.
    linguistics! online translating apps allow me to converse (slowly) with people in lands foreign... most easily those whose languages are Germanic in origin (like English) with sometimes unintentionally hilarious results! But I would struggle with ukranian and such I truly regret.

At the risk of drawing attention to a somewhat bold and abrasive introductory thread that has thankfully been put gracefully to bed.....
    I'm going to use australian spelling even tho after thinking about it american spelling is slightly more logical (sorry ma'm... i'm talking directly to the the queen of england now... you know who you are)
    now... back to the topic....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    I always see a curious paradox there. Obviously, you have to always be willing to change your beliefs based on additional information or simply a change of heart. If you are speaking of social discourse, it always seems some will try to pigeonhole you into a given set of beliefs (often ones you may not have even held). There is generally no need to offer opinions on anything and everything. At the same time, I find the level of public discourse pitiful due to the disingenuous tactics used by some.

I would hope noone takes themselves so seriously as to believe they have all the answers.

Jackie T
    If you do have something to opine in any sort of social discussion forum then there's not much for it but to expect that people will come to it with what may be their own pre-(mis)judgements & pre-(mis)conceptions. Also it's pretty clear that people will pretty soon be pigeon-holeing away merrily as they attempt to categorise things in ways that reside within their experience or understanding - that's natural. Reasons why we bother to participate at all include to validate, to expand and to inform of our own set of pre-existing ideas. I notice about myself, even in threads today (after 3am now here zzzzz), that being forced to discuss issues in some sort of logical, qualitative way definitely clarifies my own thoughts anyway. Other reasons to get participatory include practicing typing and making gags.

linguistics! online translating apps allow me to converse (slowly) with people in lands foreign... most easily those whose languages are Germanic in origin (like English) with sometimes unintentionally hilarious results! But I would struggle with ukranian and such I truly regret.

At the risk of drawing attention to a somewhat bold and abrasive introductory thread that has thankfully been put gracefully to bed.....

now... back to the topic....

If you do have something to opine in any sort of social discussion forum then there's not much for it but to expect that people will come to it with what may be their own pre-(mis)judgements & pre-(mis)conceptions. Also it's pretty clear that people will pretty soon be pigeon-holeing away merrily as they attempt to categorise things in ways that reside within their experience or understanding - that's natural. Reasons why we bother to participate at all include to validate, to expand and to inform of our own set of pre-existing ideas. I notice about myself, even in threads today (after 3am now here zzzzz), that being forced to discuss issues in some sort of logical, qualitative way definitely clarifies my own thoughts anyway. Other reasons to get participatory include practicing typing and making gags.
    Oh sure. I expect it. It doesn't bother me (as an individual) per se, I just see it being amplified (especially in the media). The overall discourse just seems to have declined to soundbite appeals to emotion. The only downside for an individual tends to be a repeated (and generally pointless) expectation of justification by some folks. I converse for the same reasons. It does help one to reach a greater sense of clarity in communication. I do it more so for the second reason though. It's just to have fun as we slack from our actual comp tasks

Linguistics is always fun.

Jackie T

+ Reply to Thread