+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R.I.P. Iraq War?

Default R.I.P. Iraq War?

• NEW: President Bush says House has "abdicated its responsibility" on Iraq
    • House passes war spending bill by 218-212 vote; Bush repeats veto promise
    • Legislation includes 2008 deadline for withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq
    • Two House Republicans vote for bill; 14 Democrats vote against it

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/...ing/index.html

This is simply the House, though.

And..2008...tad hasty there.

Default Re: R.I.P. Iraq War?

And yeah, this is sorta-kinda old, but the whole timetable thing isn't something that's going away. Is it plausible? Would it really mean the end?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    And yeah, this is sorta-kinda old, but the whole timetable thing isn't something that's going away. Is it plausible? Would it really mean the end?
    It won't happen next year. I'm not sure what people are picturing when they refer to an "end" to this war. The Soldiers will hopefully (mostly) be home in the next couple years. Beyond that, I see no end to war in the Middle East. I don't know on what terms the U.S. will eventually reengage, but I am sure we will in the next decade. This has been one of the most colossal geopolitical fuck-ups in modern history.

A Note on the Soldiers: For many of them, the war will never end. What I've already seen and heard puts Vietnam to shame. I seriously hope people are ready to respect and take care of these people for the rest of their lives. They are gone.

Jackie T

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I really think leaving Iraq now would be a bad bad thing....but then again that's just me.

dead_but_twitching's Avatar Member

the damage has already been done ... and in many parts of iraq there is´a civil war going on with ethnic cleansing...
    everybody is blaming everybody, and everybody is blaming the US..
    and when the american troops do leave the civil war will just get worse, and are gonna blame the US for leaving. even though they wanted you gone just a month ago....

somehow the phrase "i told you soo" doesnt seem adequate....

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

well i dont think it has been a war since they got sadam it has been a police action and soldiers shouldnt have to be police its unfair to them

c4wolf's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by bohoki
    well i dont think it has been a war since they got sadam it has been a police action and soldiers shouldnt have to be police its unfair to them
    i spent 12 yrs a us marine 3 yrs speical trainnin... (includin boot camp) and never once.. not one minute or hour or day was spent on learning how to police.. the us milatry (navy marines army airforce) are not police officers.. nor should it be asked of those fine young men and woman. my prays and what left of my heart goes out to those family members of the lost and wounded (mentally also) men and woman who are so brave to fight i mean police

An acquaintance from high school informed me he is training and will deploy to Iraq in a few months. When I asked what he would be doing, he said he would eventually be 'super policing'.

Honestly, I am completely torn on the withdraw issue. There are so many angles to consider, I don't know where to begin my explanation. And I doubt I even know the half of it.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Withdraw those who have been there too long, withdraw those who want to come home. My uncle has been to Iraq 3 times already, could be 4 if they dont let him stay right now.

Leaving the country to fall into anarchy as rival militias tear it apart and divide it up/set up another dictatorship/theocracy etc will just make America look even worse to the world at large. We're stuck there for a long time untill the Iraqi army/police force/people are strong enough to declare to be a sovereign nation without outside support.

+ Reply to Thread