+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Vick jerseys for Humane Society

Default Michael Vick jerseys for Humane Society

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Humane Society said they are receiving donations from across the country -- and you’ll never guess what people are sending.

More than a dozen Michael Vick jerseys have been sent to AHS, and they are putting them to good use.

“When I first saw them, I was kind of shocked. I was like, ‘Why do they have Vick jerseys here,’ said Julie Sentner.

Vick is innocent until proven guilty, but his association when men pleading guilty to federal dog fighting charges makes the number 7 jersey an unexpected find at the Atlanta Humane Society.

“At first we were like, ‘I wonder what we’re going to use this for,” said P.J. Smith with AHS.

And the jerseys kept coming. About a dozen or so jerseys were sent from people wanting to make good from a bad situation. In fact, the Humane Society is getting flooded with e-mails about Vick.

So what are volunteers doing with the jerseys?

“We discovered like any donation we get, any shirt or towel, we put it to good use here at Atlanta Humane Society. We’re always using things to clean kennels, use for bedding and stuff like that,” said Smith.

Did she say cleaning kennels?

“We’re not showing any favoritism to these jerseys, they go into our general rotation of towels,” Smith said.

One dog is using his Vick jersey as a pillow.

[This dog at the Atlanta Humane Society is enjoying his bed, which is a Vick jersey donated by an upset fan.]
    This dog at the Atlanta Humane Society is enjoying his bed, which is a Vick jersey donated by an upset fan.

“As long as they’re being used for good, then that’s great. If they’re using them to make dogs more comfortable or to clean up after them, then that’s fine,” said Sentner.

Of course, the Vick jerseys being donated mean a lot more to the people than to the puppies --

Poetic Justice? Your take?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Michael Vick jerseys for Humane Society

I believe the facts of the case will, in time, show it to be a small form of poetic justice. I believe that, should the allegations be proven, Mr. Vick should spend 6 years in jail and be banned from football. I doubt this will be the outcome.

Jackie T

Personally, I'd love to see Vick try to take on one of the pit bulls that was trained to kill under his auspices.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think the Falcons organization owes Terrell Owens a bit of an apology. Back when he was getting so much static, a lot of it was based around him really not being able to stand Michael Vick. They really pitched Vick as a nice wholesome goodguy and Owens as the problem. But, if Vick was into this kind of garbage, maybe Owens was a better judge of character than he got credit for at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think the Falcons organization owes Terrell Owens a bit of an apology. Back when he was getting so much static, a lot of it was based around him really not being able to stand Michael Vick. They really pitched Vick as a nice wholesome goodguy and Owens as the problem. But, if Vick was into this kind of garbage, maybe Owens was a better judge of character than he got credit for at the time.
    T.O. was with The Falcons? I just remember the incident with McNabb up in Philly. Regardless, T.O. got a bad rap. It seems like sports leagues tend to go harder on folks with various eccentricities than those who actually do wrong. Rickey Henderson comes to mind. I saw the man play in the minor leagues at 46. He's a decent man with a great sense of humor. He loves the game. Yet, people call him out on his eccentricities.

Jackie T

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    T.O. was with The Falcons? I just remember the incident with McNabb up in Philly. Regardless, T.O. got a bad rap. It seems like sports leagues tend to go harder on folks with various eccentricities than those who actually do wrong. Rickey Henderson comes to mind. I saw the man play in the minor leagues at 46. He's a decent man with a great sense of humor. He loves the game. Yet, people call him out on his eccentricities.

Jackie T

Wow, I was REALLY tired when I wrote that and totally got it wrong, hahaha. Oops. Clearly I need to get some sleep before I rant on teh intarwebs.

Either way..The Madden Curse continues!
    9 Years in a row..all 9 featured on the cover including McNabb and Vick have suffered the wrath...of the Madden! :P

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Wow, I was REALLY tired when I wrote that and totally got it wrong, hahaha. Oops. Clearly I need to get some sleep before I rant on teh intarwebs.
    haha no big. It brought up a tangential issue I've always wondered about.

Jackie T

Tinman's Avatar Senior Member

Id like to see Vick used as a pillow instead o his shirt, or better a chew toy!
    Some people are just dicks!

Love the fact that fans are sending their Vick jerseys to the Atlanta SPCA, and that they're being put to very good use there.

So, some small good comes out of this sad and disgusting situation.

I just read Vick filed a plea in federal court. He admitted to one count of dogfighting. He further stipulated the enterprise included the killing of dogs and gambling. He does not admit to having killed the dogs or gambling personally. d'oh. Sadly, his three co-conspirators contradict these claims. He will enter a formal plea on monday.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3519620&page=1

He is finished

JT

I keep seeing changes to how the media is interpreting Vick's Plea. This is direct:

According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/...n_michael_vick

I think its over for him. If any of the other 3 men are found credible, he is in really deep shit.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Rilea
    Love the fact that fans are sending their Vick jerseys to the Atlanta SPCA, and that they're being put to very good use there.

So, some small good comes out of this sad and disgusting situation.
    I'll be frank: This is a godsend for anyone involved in animal law and rights. Once Vick is nailed, there will be pro-animal legislation fasttracked across the country. The public has finally spoken and spoken loudly.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie T.
    I'll be frank: This is a godsend for anyone involved in animal law and rights. Once Vick is nailed, there will be pro-animal legislation fasttracked across the country. The public has finally spoken and spoken loudly.

JT
    Won't disagree with you there .

Whatcha think about this one?

By Roman Wolfe

Police in Maricopa County, Arizona raided the home of rapper DMX, removing 12 distressed pitbulls from the rapper's home.

Officers also made a gruesome discovery when they dug up the rapper's backyard, recovering a burned, buried carcass of one of the dogs.

According to reports, police also recovered a large cache of weapons in DMX's home, which is located in Cave Creek.

DMX's attorney Murray Richman said that a neighbor called the police because of the extreme Arizona temperatures the dogs were being subjected to.

He proclaimed DMX's innocence and claimed the rapper has not been at his Cave Creek home for months.

He said that DMX relied on a caretaker to take care of the animals.

In 1999, the rapper was fined and ordered to make a series of anti-animal cruelty PSAs for the Humane Society, after police found 13 pit bulls in his Teaneck, New Jersey home.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler

By Roman Wolfe

Police in Maricopa County, Arizona raided the home of rapper DMX, removing 12 distressed pitbulls from the rapper's home.

Officers also made a gruesome discovery when they dug up the rapper's backyard, recovering a burned, buried carcass of one of the dogs.

According to reports, police also recovered a large cache of weapons in DMX's home, which is located in Cave Creek.

DMX's attorney Murray Richman said that a neighbor called the police because of the extreme Arizona temperatures the dogs were being subjected to.

He proclaimed DMX's innocence and claimed the rapper has not been at his Cave Creek home for months.

In 1999, the rapper was fined and ordered to make a series of anti-animal cruelty PSAs for the Humane Society, after police found 13 pit bulls in his Teaneck, New Jersey home.

Wow. While I won't call for DMX's hanging, as he still has to have his day in court, just like everyone else, this recent incident, plus the one mentioned at the bottom of the article, indicates something of a very disturbing pattern about him and his treatment of dogs.

But, if he is guilty, and I say IF he's guilty, in this instance, I think a bit of prison time might be indicated here. A fine and being ordered to make more anti-animal cruelty PSAs for the Arizona Humane Society just won't cut it.

Will have to suspend judgement in the meantime, 'til more info comes down the pike.

Thanks for posting this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler

By Roman Wolfe

If proven, I won't too happy about haha There have been critiques of some rap and hip-hop artists that include the possible glorification of animal cruelty in some songs and videos. I think my position would be: The problems are deep-rooted. The media does simply reflect that. I do, believe, it can exacerbate it in so doing. This is strictly a sociological observation.

As to DMX: We'll see. Someone at his residence is displaying signs of sociopathology. That individual should be hung from a tree

JT

Y'know, was thinkin' about this particular thread after I sent in my last post, and I thought of usin' this phrase that my sister Beth said to me once about another subject entirely, but which I think fits here, "You can't give what you don't have."

She was talking about love, and whether that love is for another human being, or for a canine, feline, equine, what have you, if you've not been shown much or anything in the way of love, affection and respect in your life, it's gonna be damned hard, if not impossible, to able to have that for someone or something else.

When all of your life, you've been seen and treated as a thing, it simply becomes natural to regard and treat others, human or animal, as things to be used and discarded when they no longer suit you.

Ain't sayin' this to excuse DMX, Michael Vick, nor anyone else involved in this cruel "sport".

Just 'cos you mayn't been shown much, if anything, in the way of love, affection, or respect doesn't entitle you to be a bastard to others in return.

But, this may be a partial explanation as to why some people find it so easy to use dogs, and people, like they do, do, do.

+ Reply to Thread