+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14-year-old gunman shoots 3 others, himself

Default 14-year-old gunman shoots 3 others, himself

"A friend of the shooter told CNN that the 14-year-old often talked about how he "worshipped the devil"..."

"Another student said, "I knew that dude was crazy, man. He always wore a trench coat."

Link to article.

14. What the heck, man.

Default Re: 14-year-old gunman shoots 3 others, himself

Just saw that a minute ago on the news. Alotta messed up kids in the world today. I'm happy though that no one is dead except for the moron.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Glad there were no fatalities beyond the shooter.

JT

Just heard he used two hand guns.

My guess is he was emulating Cho and Columbine which seems obvious. Will be interesting to see what happend.

-Also just heard he was recently suspended that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Just heard he used two hand guns.

My guess is he was emulating Cho and Columbine which seems obvious. Will be interesting to see what happend.

-Also just heard he was recently suspended that week.
    Interesting. He was firing both at once? His stupidity may have saved lives. Will have to wait and see what actually went down.

JT

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I wish it wasn't in so many people's best interest to not make the schools a better place. Clearly there is something wrong with the environment. I don't think Cho's problem was the school, but the younger ones clearly seem to be being pushed to detrimental levels and feel they are out of options.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I wish it wasn't in so many people's best interest to not make the schools a better place. Clearly there is something wrong with the environment. I don't think Cho's problem was the school, but the younger ones clearly seem to be being pushed to detrimental levels and feel they are out of options.
    Systemic crisis extends to academic performance as well. MN has created some charter schools that seem to be working well. They did have to set govt standards due to some profiteering (folks were opening school, taking the money, doing very little for the kids)

JT

It's just really hard in my opinion to safe proof a school. We all went to middleschool/highschool. It's downright easy to sneak in anything. I remember in highschool kids selling drugs all the time. We even had a razor blade attack.

Just not sure how we can catch the crazies. I'm pro having armed guards and more school police atleast.

The reason for the suspension?

"Earlier in the week, some of them said, he had gotten into a fight with another student, over whether or not there was a god, and both had been suspended."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/us...43c&ei=5087%0A

Stereotype trifecta in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    It's just really hard in my opinion to safe proof a school. We all went to middleschool/highschool. It's downright easy to sneak in anything. I remember in highschool kids selling drugs all the time. We even had a razor blade attack.

Just not sure how we can catch the crazies. I'm pro having armed guards and more school police atleast.
    That bad now? I don't have an answer for it. I see a systemic crisis in education. Tragic incident, but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture as well. If a given school needs that sort of security, I'd have to say it was at their discretion at this point. It's a very frustrating situation.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    The reason for the suspension?

"Earlier in the week, some of them said, he had gotten into a fight with another student, over whether or not there was a god, and both had been suspended."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/10/us...43c&ei=5087%0A
    Suffice it to say: The kid was suspended for violence. I am glad to see both were suspended given what instigated it. I hope the religious aspect doesn't gain traction in either direction. Confrontational Secular and Religious folks both need to knock it the fuck off.

JT

Amen. I doubt it would escalate to that, as it seems to be only a footnote to the story. /crosses fingers

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

hmm shouldnt he be called a gunboy?

He slaped his mom for breaking up a fight between him and his sister, among other things.

And, well. Wore a Manson shirt when he let loose.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/157...011/id_0.jhtml

Shitstorm Incoming.

gothic rose's Avatar Senior Member

"A friend of the shooter told CNN that the 14-year-old often talked about how he "worshiped the devil"..."

"Another student said, "I knew that dude was crazy, man. He always wore a trench coat."

Link to article.

14. What the heck, man.
    those 2 things don't mean that everyone like him is going to
    try to kill someone
    i wear a trench oh wow
    and now i get searched more than should be aloud
    without a reason other than suspicion

Think she was just pointing out the stereotype Gothic Rose.

I was highlighting the article's predictable reaction. Yeah, it's a sterotype, but not one that I, nor probably anyone on here, hold.

I'm just waiting for the big back lash. "we blame gothic music, atheists, video games etc etc". Hope they get some smart people who focus on reality and go after the kids mental state and parents besides just trying to scapegoat for more viewers and money.

I don't know. I'm thinking it won't go down that road again after Virginia Tech - the epitome of the unexpected profile (except for the loner bit.) I think the age and school security issue will be bigger, but I don't know anything.
    On a lighter note if otherwise, maybe Voltaire will get another interview on Fox news?

I don't know. I'm thinking it won't go down that road again after Virginia Tech - the epitome of the unexpected profile (except for the loner bit.) I think the age and school security issue will be bigger, but I don't know anything.
    On a lighter note if otherwise, maybe Voltaire will get another interview on Fox news?
    I e-mailed him an article on the demonizing of goth hoping for just that actually

As these shootings become more commonplace, I've noticed the actual "blame" gets more and more deluded. Video games, TV, The School system, Dick Cheney. I can't just point my finger at the emo kids. I think we need to think up more and more targets. Once there are enough to go around, it will become rhetorically impossible to blame just one ... except the dufus who pulled the trigger.

JT

+ Reply to Thread