+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tattoo question

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Default tattoo question

im planning out my first tattoo at the moment and it occurred to me that im going through a few changes at the moment, physically. im losing weight and getting stronger, as i am finally pulling my shit together and getting fit. will that effect my tatt in any way? like, if i got a patch on my shoulder and lost the excess there, would it leave the tattoo misformed in any way? or as the muscle builds? i dont know if its a stupid question or not, but id hate to get it done then find out it would have been better if id just waited a few more months.

Default Re: tattoo question

I've always wondered about this, too. Someone oughta answer him.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

if its in the right place, itll stretch and morph if you gain weight... i dont know about losing weight though. cause your skin stretches... i would wait a few more months just to be safe though

This really depends in the design and the placement. On the shoulder though, there shouldn't be much warping, unless you intent to going for the crazy huge muscle man shoulders.
    Work with your artist and they should be able to help with designing and placing your tattoo so the it won't be negatively effected by weight loss and an increase in muscle.
    Also it is like that you won't lose the weight first, then build the muscle up, rather that you will be building the muscle as you trim of any fat you want to lose, so the skin on your arms, lower legs, back and shoulders won't have a lot of shrink and stretch.
    But the best thing to do will be to talk to your artist and explain your plans and get their advice on weither you should wait and on placement.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

A guy who always used to come into my work had a portrait tattoo on his upper arm, sort of coming into his shoulder area.
    He obviously had it done when he was young, and then beefed up, cos I noticed how fat the face had become. It was of Ned Kelly (only Aussies will know this one I guess) and he was not a fat guy, so does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Switchblade
    A guy who always used to come into my work had a portrait tattoo on his upper arm, sort of coming into his shoulder area.
    He obviously had it done when he was young, and then beefed up, cos I noticed how fat the face had become. It was of Ned Kelly (only Aussies will know this one I guess) and he was not a fat guy, so does that answer your question?
    I'm a Yank, and I know who Ned Kelly was, but can't say that I know very much about the bloke, aside from the fact that he was a bush-ranger who wore home-made armour when he and his gang pulled their bits of robbery.

ha, i forgot about this thread.
    whos an idiot? whos an idiot? yes you are! yes you are! whos my little idiot booboo hejigoogooeefah... i really need to stop baby talking to myself

ok yall, thanks for the help, specially switchblade. guess ill give it a while then

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I was just about to say the following:

It might be best to wait until your body shape settles down to an acceptable status. It may also give you time to think, "Do you really want this design on your Skin?" If after a few months/years you still want it, get it done. I waited about 2 years to get my first one, and haven't regretted it.

Give yourself time to think...

heh this ones been brewing for a good year or so now, so yeah. but a little longer wont hurt.

Tinman's Avatar Senior Member

I can defo tell you loosing the pounds and beefing up will effect your tatts.
    I was 22 stone, had a tatt on front of my shoulder, as i lost weight and got fit and beefed up the tatt lost alittle of its shape, now im 14 stone, and pretty happy wit my shape, if u are a big fella and u loose weight ur gonna show it alittle here n there, i got another tatt around it and looks fine, enjoy gettin inked

+ Reply to Thread