+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halloween is evil (rolls eyes dramatically)

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

Default Halloween is evil (rolls eyes dramatically)

I heard onj the radio today a local DJs minister said they should not participate in Halloween because it is evil. Then proceeded to prove how evil it was by showing (swallow your soda or its gonna fly out your nose here) Micheal Jackson video Thriller.

Why do these jaded asshole grown ups have to make up stories about things they obviously odnt understand, and RUIN FUN FOR CHILDREN.

What kind of loser do you have to be to tell a kid they can't dress up and pretend for one night, that everything is ok, that the whole world can be a great place, that they canbe anything they want to be, that they have to stave off their creativity when everyone around them is aloud to let it shine?

This hyper politically correct whiney please dont hurt my feelings while I stomp on yours crap has to stop. The entire nations children are being made emotional punching bags for parents who have a bone to pick with someone else.

Paganism and Satanism are legally recognized religions in the US and using either as an excuse to keep Halloween out of school is actually discrimination according to the law. If you want to use "the costumes are too much of a distraction" fine. But to actually call it out and say "Yup your holiday is not christian so we wont allow it" I have lived in 2 states where the school systems ahave outright said "we wont allow it because it is a satanic holiday" See how well educated our schoolboards are?

thanks for letting me vent.
    <3

Default Re: Halloween is evil (rolls eyes dramatically)

BOF: don't blame ya for your sentiments here, and agree with your point about how adults with their own socio-political and economic axes to grind can ruin an otherwise pleasant, and, as celebrated in the US and Canada, rather harmless holiday like Hallowe'en.

Interesting that you used the term "political correctness" to describe attitudes and behaviours exhibited by right-wing evangelical Christians, considering that it, more often that not, that very same crowd, and others like them on the American Right, who've been using that term as a stick to bash those on the Left, or just plain anyone who disagrees with them, for nearly 20 years now.

Personally, am sick of the use of the terms "politically correct", "PC", or "political correctness" from people on every portion of the political, social and religious spectrums in this country, and throughout the English-speaking world, because they are weasel words designed to disguise the speaker's or writer's own agendas, while getting to bash everyone else's.

Ain't attacking you, BOF, for using the term here. Just find it funny and ironic that you are applying it to folks who'd undoubtedly, and especially in moments of pique, say the same thing about Pagans, Jews, Atheists or Agnostics, Muslims, or anyone else who doesn't fall into their limited, and limiting, conceptions of how the world "should" be, whenever members of those groups protest about having the Ten Commandments posted in public places, or other activities designed to celebrate and benefit their particular causes.

Hell, there are a fair number of Christians, right-wing and otherwise, who would openly admit that the Christmas and Easter celebrations take place at the same times as the old Roman and Pagan holidays of Saturnalia and the various Spring festivals, and have yet to hear of, or see, them calling for Christians, with the possible exceptions of Jehovah's Witnesses, to either opt out of celebrating those holidays, or ban them out-right from being celebrated in the nation's school systems.

Hey, there's an idea!!!!

Ban Christmas and Easter, as well as Jewish holidays like Hannukah and Purim(mainly applicable in cities with large Jewish populations like NYC, where these holidays are celebrated)from being celebrated in the public schools!!!!

While we're at it here, folks, let's just plain ban any sort of holiday from being celebrated by public school students, anywhere and at anytime.

That'll leave the little bastards that much more time for schoolwork, eh???

And if you think I'm serious, I have some lovely ocean-front property in Central Nevada, I'd love to show you.

If that's not to your taste, how's about the Brooklyn Bridge??? It's going cheap!!!!

If Christian parents, or parents of other beliefs want their children to opt out of Hallowe'en, or any other celebrations, fine. They are perfectly welcome to do so, just as Jewish and other beliefs' parents are welcome to opt their kids out from celebrating Christmas, Easter or other holidays.

But, enforcing bans on these holidays is, to my mind, the hallmark(and I don't mean the greeting card company, folks)of repressive idiocy at its lowest.

Anyway, BOF, sorry you have to put up with some of the idiots who call themselves Christians, and have a great Hallowe'en, or Samhain, if you prefer.

Likewise to your kids.

i am all for banning greedfest-aka christmas.

i fucking hate that holiday, and just as soon as halloween is over they're going to start pimping the shit out of it... some stores have already taken down their halloween decorations, and are putting up christmas shit. i have a running feud with my family because i refuse to participate in anything 'christmasy'

in the immortal words of FEAR "FUCK CHRISTMAS, FUCK CHRISTMAS, FUCK CHRISTMAS!!!!"

*a-hem*cough* sorry for the minirant.

...yeah, all that christian bullshit about the evils of halloween blows. i don't endorse homophobia, but one tactic i do like is calling idiotic rightwing christian nuts 'fags' and pointing out how 'gay' their stupid rhetoric sounds... yes it's wrong, but it makes some of them very uncomfortable, and that's almost worth it.

i usually find that super anti-halloween folks are often jehova's witnesses. we have one of those at work, and man is she a super cunt. (in her case i think she choose JW, because it gave her an excuse to be a fucking bitch...)

Fuck a bunch of christians, SATAN RULES DUDE!!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I was born and raised heathen.....but I like hallowe'en, and christmas, and I enjoy laughing at people who are willing to sell thier souls to belong to a club

Personally, am agnostic verging on atheist, and have nothing against any of these holidays, though am no big celebrator of them either.

My big quarrel is with folks of any creed or denomination inside that creed who'd have the whole world bow down before their belief systems, and who would ban others' beliefs and keep believers in those other creeds from practising them in the privacy of their own homes or their congregations.

Those are their rights, even if I think they're so full of shit that their eyes, if they already aren't, should be brown.

What I don't think that any group, religious or not, in the US has a right to is any sort of endorsement, explicitly stated or implied, from any branch of government, at any level, and I do believe that the various churches, synagogues, mosques, etc, ought to pay taxes, the same as any other person or institution in this society.

They could be taxed just like any other non-profit institution, and the levels of their taxes would depend on the levels of their income in any given year.

It would also mean that their books would be open to IRS inspection, if there were consistent discrepancies between the amount of income reported to the IRS over a given period of time, and their actual income and assets.

As for banning the celebration of any holidays, religious or otherwise, as I mentioned in my last post here, I was making a rather bitter joke.

I don't believe in doing that.

I just think that the school boards that BOF mentioned in her post were, again, so full of shit that their members' eyes should have been brown if they weren't already.

The way in which Hallowe'en, like Christmas, Easter, Hannukah and other religious holidays, is currently celebrated in this country by most folks bears as much resemblance to the original holiday, as a teddy bear does to a Grizzly or European Brown Bear. There's something of a similar appearance, but that's about it.

The meanings and rituals in the current US-Canadian form of Hallowe'en are, as far as I can guess, quite vastly different from the original Celtic holiday of Samhain, as can be.

The pastor and the school board members mentioned in BOF's post understand that fact probably about as well as they understand anything else, and that's probably badly or not at all.

Sorry for the tear, folks. I just hate authoritarian idiots, regardless of whatever origin or creed.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

wh00! make don pope!

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

halloween is the greatest time of the year! it' the oneda/nght of the yearwhere every one can be themselves and have a good time unlike chistmas and thanksgiving where you have to petend to be nice to everyone and hang around famly you only see once a year. this thaksgiving is gonna suk cus just came back out o the closet and it wasnt much fun the first time either (my mom's side is devout southern baptist)

but as far as halloween being evi? please! it's only considered evil because te mther holiday it cover si sam hein which is the pagan new year. it's supposed to be the one night of the year where the border between the spirit world and human world are at their closest which is oe take on why people dres u so as to fool demons and evil sirits into thinking they are one of them so as not to be harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    wh00! make don pope!
    No, ESM. Absolute and Supreme Dictator For Life will do just nicely, thank you .

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

heh heh! you said dic. lol

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    heh heh! you said dic. lol
    Why, THANK you, Beavis !!!! Or is it Butthead ???

Personally, even though there never was that much to choose between the two, I'd have preferred Beavis' company over Butthead's any day of the week.

Butthead may have been just slightly smarter than Beavis, but he was much more of an arsehole, in my opinion.

I know, I said "arse". Heh, heh, heh, heh!!!!

sickybuaaaaa's Avatar Mistress of asskickery

human stupidity has no limits

hey! i resemble that remark!

"i am cornholio. i need teepee for my bunghole."

Quote Originally Posted by sickybuaaaaa
    human stupidity has no limits
    Quite true, and a blue ribbon, or similar prize, for the young lady!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    hey! i resemble that remark!

"i am cornholio. i need teepee for my bunghole."

The funny thing is that the calls against the evils of Halloween is that it comes just before many of the same people cry about the war on xmas.

It's your own fault people. We warned you when your xmas invaded October, sovereign state of the cool holidays. You thought we would just let your music and candy invade? And we tried to let a few Xmasians in, the odd candycane or lightstring, but when you started calling us satanic, the war was on.

The War on xmas is about freedom and democracy, and we fear santa may be stockpiling weapons. We will start with a brutal round of don't put your nativity scenes on school property, followed by Happy Holidays until they submits. We have put a bounty on Santa and if he doesn't watch himself we will move Jesus's birthday to june, and confuse people by putting it on father's day.

You have been warned,

Admiral Post Mortem,

That's right Cafe Post Mortem!!! I'm with you...

I DECLARE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!!!

...effin' barnes and noble just took down their halloween decorations to put up xmas ones... WTF??????

no more! from now on, it's all out war!!!!

that fat red bastard is going down!!!

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

My big quarrel is with folks of any creed or denomination inside that creed who'd have the whole world bow down before their belief systems, and who would ban others' beliefs and keep believers in those other creeds from practising them in the privacy of their own homes or their congregations.
    thats the only problem i have with any religon. do what you want but dont try to force other people into something they dont want to do.
    and halloween kicks ass... nobody is gonna convince me that im trying to convert my barely 1 year old son into satanism by dressing him up as a puppy and taking him around for free candy, thats retarded...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

hey....I dress like santa on hallowe'en.......for some reaso nit really scares the little beggars that come to the door...he he he

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    hey....I dress like santa on hallowe'en.......for some reaso nit really scares the little beggars that come to the door...he he he

Here in my country there is no Halloween >>> it is so bad bz i see how people are enjoy in Halloween so i will never now about it

After receiving another random chick tract about Halloween being satanic I came to a decision.

Every time I am told Halloween is evil by someone who believes it I am going to Satan up my Halloween a notch, and make him more marketable. I will continue this until 8 out of 10 third graders give a hail Satan with breakfast, or the attacks stop.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    After receiving another random chick tract about Halloween being satanic I came to a decision.

Every time I am told Halloween is evil by someone who believes it I am going to Satan up my Halloween a notch, and make him more marketable. I will continue this until 8 out of 10 third graders give a hail Satan with breakfast, or the attacks stop.

A friend of mine just e-mailed the following link to a Yahoo News story about a Hallowe'en ban to be imposed on schools in the Moscow, Russia area.

This is risible to me, as, and I don't know for sure, but Hallowe'en has never traditionally been celebrated in Russia.

Am willing to guess that the holiday is a very recent import into the country, and that despite the official reasons given for the ban, its foreignness is precisely why authorities in the Moscow school system are banning it

The article can be found here-http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071031/lf_nm_life/russia_halloween_ban_dc_1.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    i am all for banning greedfest-aka christmas.

i fucking hate that holiday, and just as soon as halloween is over they're going to start pimping the shit out of it... some stores have already taken down their halloween decorations, and are putting up christmas shit. i have a running feud with my family because i refuse to participate in anything 'christmasy'

in the immortal words of FEAR "FUCK CHRISTMAS, FUCK CHRISTMAS, FUCK CHRISTMAS!!!!"

*a-hem*cough* sorry for the minirant.

...yeah, all that christian bullshit about the evils of halloween blows. i don't endorse homophobia, but one tactic i do like is calling idiotic rightwing christian nuts 'fags' and pointing out how 'gay' their stupid rhetoric sounds... yes it's wrong, but it makes some of them very uncomfortable, and that's almost worth it.

i usually find that super anti-halloween folks are often jehova's witnesses. we have one of those at work, and man is she a super cunt. (in her case i think she choose JW, because it gave her an excuse to be a fucking bitch...)

Fuck a bunch of christians, SATAN RULES DUDE!!
    I just hate when every -single- store had to play christmas music for a month straight. Please..please stop killing Christmas music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic.sy
    Here in my country there is no Halloween >>> it is so bad bz i see how people are enjoy in Halloween so i will never now about it
    yeah, me too. whereabouts is youre halloweenless prison? im in aussie meself.

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

haha yea the downtown area here has started to change for the Shitmass celebrations a few weeks ago!!!! we are talking as least 2 weeks ago strings of lights have been invading my little concreet paradise, maby I can get a few bums to start stealing some lights lolol. It cant be too hard to do, maby a few pints of 211 here and there . Also a few wire cutters from the doller store will get things interesting as well. Thanks to a small death for the Saten Inside badge, I was wondering what next to put on the Ipod what with the new firmware and all, its alot better now as a PDA and stands to garner a few odd comments from a few "Super Cunts " at work.

Dissention in the ranks is a sign of poor leadership, but mutiny is justice if properly timed and executed

OB~26

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

oh and B4 I forget thanks for reminding me of "supercunts" Mr Friendly it brings to mind the words cuntwaffl and to Mr Karl you may be my new hero for the santa suit I wanna see pics just as a request BC I find it hillarios now off to bed with me its been a long workday and the day of the dead is almost upon me pretty quick I still have to see what my grampa wants me to bring to him (either ThunderBird or vodka I cant decide what to bring to the cementary to share with him) Rest in Peace grandpa

Walks around the block for some wine with grandpa.

OB~26

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

I just hate when every -single- store had to play christmas music for a month straight. Please..please stop killing Christmas music.
    ewww yeah, ever worked in the mall during christmastime?? ugh. youll just want to die. i can manage to tune it out for a couple hours when im christmas gift shopping, but not for 12 hours working at the mall... horrid.

heh, i work in a cafe and my boss already has the stores music planned out. please, just put a bullet in the back of my fucking skull.

you know... if i owned a cafe, or business, i'd make it a 'xmas free zone'... no fucking christmas music, no fucking decorations, and no fucking christer talk... anyone who didn't like it, i'd chase them out with a baseball bat!

BookOfFaeye's Avatar Book Of Faeye

Quote Originally Posted by Oil~Boy 26
    haha yea the downtown area here has started to change for the Shitmass celebrations a few weeks ago!!!! we are talking as least 2 weeks ago strings of lights have been invading my little concreet paradise, maby I can get a few bums to start stealing some lights lolol. It cant be too hard to do, maby a few pints of 211 here and there . Also a few wire cutters from the doller store will get things interesting as well. Thanks to a small death for the Saten Inside badge, I was wondering what next to put on the Ipod what with the new firmware and all, its alot better now as a PDA and stands to garner a few odd comments from a few "Super Cunts " at work.

Dissention in the ranks is a sign of poor leadership, but mutiny is justice if properly timed and executed

OB~26
    Itgs so funny you would say this. I went to a party at a friends house years ago. It was a drinking party (I was not edge at the time) and all of sudden he busts out with "Its all fun and games until someone steals the Messiah!" and he comes out of the house with a stolen baby Jesus from a lighted yard nativity. He and some friends had stolen it the christmas before. Made the local paper and they were never caught. Hahhaha... Poor baby Jesus. Hes with the scary punks now

As for the rest of you, I was afraid I was alone in my utter disgust at the lack of Halloween anymore. I did take the kids out trick or treating here. On my street it was wonderful, most of the families were nicde and the candy wow it was primo, heaths, herseys, baby ruths, good quailty candy and LOTS of it. We only covered half our street and the 5 kids I took got enough candy to fill the basket under my youngest childs stroller. I LOVE this street sometimes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BookOfFaeye
    Itgs so funny you would say this. I went to a party at a friends house years ago. It was a drinking party (I was not edge at the time) and all of sudden he busts out with "Its all fun and games until someone steals the Messiah!" and he comes out of the house with a stolen baby Jesus from a lighted yard nativity. He and some friends had stolen it the christmas before. Made the local paper and they were never caught. Hahhaha... Poor baby Jesus. Hes with the scary punks now

As for the rest of you, I was afraid I was alone in my utter disgust at the lack of Halloween anymore. I did take the kids out trick or treating here. On my street it was wonderful, most of the families were nicde and the candy wow it was primo, heaths, herseys, baby ruths, good quailty candy and LOTS of it. We only covered half our street and the 5 kids I took got enough candy to fill the basket under my youngest childs stroller. I LOVE this street sometimes!!!!

Glad it worked out as well as it did for you and the kids, especially the kids.

That's the thing, most so-called ordinary people,given the chance, can be pretty decent folks, whereas for so-called leaders and their supporters, well, they can be a right lot of shits a good deal of the time.

Glad the folks on your street belong to the former, and not the latter, category.

I don't mind if the parents don't feel comfortable letting their -own- kids celebrate the holiday, but if they're sending their kids to a -public- school, then they should just learn to deal with the fact that not all the festivities and events are going to agree with their religious doctrine.

If they have -that- much a problem with the public school system, then maybe the parents need to look into home-schooling their kids. [Not that I agree 100% with homeschooling, because I think a lot of social interaction is lost that way, but at least it leaves the other kids and parents in peace..]

+ Reply to Thread