+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider reading 60+ books a lot?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Do you consider reading 60+ books a lot?

I was just looking at a goofy quiz and thinking about posting it here, but I quit taking it partway through. There was a question about how many books you have read in a lifetime and the highest possible answer for 60+. And this was a quiz for "what kind of nerd be you?" WTF?

Have you read more than 60 books in your life? Whether or not you have, do you consider that a lot of books to have read?

sickybuaaaaa's Avatar Mistress of asskickery

Default Re: Do you consider reading 60+ books a lot?

okay.. that's really dumb. i remember reading about 120 books in my first grade(elementary school)

so i guess that makes me a super-nerd or at least the person who made this quiz someone who has no idea wth they are talking about

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

hmmm 60 books ... depending on the books give me 70 days and I could probably do it. I tend to read voraciously and the fact that I have a 2 hour trip on the bus everyday doesn't hurt.

Sounds pretty lame to me ... and not the fabric.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Hundreds (and some didn't even have pictures).

These days and with you lot it's more of a question if "reading books" means something bound with paper and ink, or just text. I recall a paper last year working out that for the 15-25 web-savvy age group only 0.1% of the words you read each year are printed, the rest being on your screen, phone, TV etc. The average US teenager with a PC reads more words per year than at any time in the historical past, so reading is hugely improved in quantity even if the quality is slipping a smidge...

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

ONLY 60?!! do they mean in a year??? hahaa... my god. i dont read as much as i used to cause lyndon is around now, but i used to read a book every week or 2!!

60 books over the course, of say, a lifetime???

If by that criterion, have read many lifetimes more than that total.

A month or a year???? No, alas, don't fall into that category either.

As I've been on-line more and more, have been reading books considerably less as of late, which is something I really need to mend a bit.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I read a lot more in France than here...... god I miss trains I hate driving everywhere and got more accomplished on a train than in a car.

one thing i cant do is read in a moving vehicle... ill get sick! not cool.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i've read atleast twice that since march of this year alone. I read my way through the entire basement section of the Orlando Public Library in one summer (minus the books aimed at kids under 10). it took me another year to read through most of the fiction and the good non-fiction upstairs. thats the whole library.

but then i remember being in LA and well.. like they say - no one reads. Thats something that struck me both on the boat and here in London, go into the book stores, they don't carry DVDs or CDs or yoga mats. Just Books and Book related items, like journals and stationary. But they are also full of ppl picking up books and READING them. Went past the Uxbridge branch of the London Library yeterday and there were ppl in there ACTUALLY CHECKING OUT BOOKS and READING. not just collage kids with term papers due either, but ppl that were reading for the sake of reading. I was so stunned it knocked the wind out of me.

I <3 books. wish i had brought more with me.

~K

hah im actually gonna get rid of a bunch of my books. and half my other stuff that i dont use.
    but yeah... i find that really weird, now that i think about it, that chapters sells all this stuff that isnt books... they sell boxes and baskets and weird shit like that haha!
    and yeah who goes into a book store for a yoga mat? wtf.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i think the yoga mat went with the rest of a kit and a book/dvd combo thing. i just remember looking at the yoga stuff next to the puzzles and plushies thinking "But aren't i in a BOOK store?" fucking barns and nobel.

~K

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

hmph. i used to read alot but dont so much anymore.mostly horror and occult stuff......been thinkin about checkin out the adult erotica ovellas though-just crious about em is all. plus it'd be fun to see if anyone notices them sittin on my bookshelf when i have company lol

I've met kids who will only read if absolutely forced. "I havent read a single book outside of highschool".

Always makes me cringe.

do comic books count? i read those all the time! lol

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

60 books is a start

i'm not a very fast reader, still i LIKE reading quite a bit... 60 books a year sounds like more than i would read... i was thinking that i might not even break 20...but then i thought back, and can easily name 17 books i read this summer alone, many in a single day (crap sci-fi, and some not) so i probably top the 20, or so... still i start far more books than i finish... supplied with the right books, and time blocks i could crank out 60 every few months no sweat.

I don't know how to tell you guys this. It may be hard to accept, but if you are on this board you probably fall somewhat outside of the average standards. I know it sounds a little weird, but trust me on this. You do not blend.

Admiral Post Mortem: What you said above is quite true, and, as you already know better than I, also quite apparent.

I figure that all of us here, especially Yours Truly, are at least a little bit cracked. Otherwise, we would be.....normal???

Now, what fun would that be???? LOL

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

60 in one year might be a stretch, but over a lifetime... that's like less than one book a year. It doesn't seem like a lot to me, but I don't know, I'm under the impression that the average american is pretty stupid so it wouldn't suprise me. and not just stupid people, I know intelligent people that know a lot of things, they study hard in school, keep up on science and politics, and have never finished an entire book reading for pleasure.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Since I rarely get the chance to read books (usually travelling to work) I take every opportunity to read whatever book I'm reading. I would say that in my lifetime I will have read 60+ books, even though I read slowly and take in most of the book, whereas my wife reads fast and re-reads books but laughs at things she's already read as if it's the first time.

haha BSD i read like your wife ive read some stephen king books 20 times by now im sure. maybe in my lifetime ill read THOSE books 60 times!!! i started reading stephen king in grade 6 and 7 heh... got too bored and sick of the "sweet valley high" books... hah ugh. who else remembers sweet valley high?? *gag*

The number 60 doesn't surprise me at all. Surveys have shown that most americans never finish another book after they graduate from high school. The ones who do read, read a bestseller or two a year, books like Harry Potter and The DaVinici Code. Statistically, the entire american book industry is supported by the 20 percent of the population who read or, at least, buy more than a book or two a year. Given the statistics, 60+ books over a lifetime is a huge number. Real readers will laugh at that number, but real readers are rarer and rarer creatures, at least in the US.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

ive read way more than 60 books
    it helps me avoid loonies on the way to and from work

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

since about he age of ten i would have been reading probably three or four books a week, which is about 180 a year i think? although i never get the time any more. now its like, i get a few bags of books out from the library and read them when i have the time, get a letter a month later saying theyre overdue and take em back, usually all or mostly finished. probably closer to 60 a year now.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Its really hard for me to find a book that I'm into. And even when I do find one, it can't hold my interest for longer than say 2 weeks. And on top of that I'm a pretty slow reader, when it comes to paper and ink words.

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

that...was the maximum? i would e-mail them and complain omg i can read that much in any given month.

60 books is what i would read in only 18 months, aproximetely; of corpse, it depends on how long the books are; bible-long books would take about two or three months to finish, but dracula-long books, they would fit 2 of them in a week, 8 or 10 in a month; 120 in one year... and up to this day, i have read about 2000 books, besides school books, about 250. That is 2250 so far. I could have read more, but i had (and have) to take some time to play Final Fantasy 6 and 7, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, DOOM and DOOM 2, Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3, Tekken 3, Breath of Fire 2 and 3, Zelda 3, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and many more, and also, watching movies, listening to dozens and dozens or albums, going to parties, writting and having some sex (but it´s never enough).

Quote Originally Posted by saintgomi
    The number 60 doesn't surprise me at all. Surveys have shown that most americans never finish another book after they graduate from high school. The ones who do read, read a bestseller or two a year, books like Harry Potter and The DaVinici Code. Statistically, the entire american book industry is supported by the 20 percent of the population who read or, at least, buy more than a book or two a year. Given the statistics, 60+ books over a lifetime is a huge number. Real readers will laugh at that number, but real readers are rarer and rarer creatures, at least in the US.
    Mexico is the Country where more books are manufactured each year (both, government and Universities made most of the total production), but it is also the place where less books are read by a person a year; the poll showed as a result, a person here reads a book each 4 years, that is, 1/4 book a year. And yeah, DaVinci and Shitty Potter are the best sellers here too (also Gabriel García Márquez and Paolo Cohelo... fuck off them both)

Cal me a nerd, but 60 Books is OK if it was aimed at Elementary School kids, other than that, it is a slow start.

suicidal_tendencies's Avatar Senior Member

Im really sure Ive read alot more then that because I read constantly. Keeps the mind from going old. lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    I don't know how to tell you guys this. It may be hard to accept, but if you are on this board you probably fall somewhat outside of the average standards. I know it sounds a little weird, but trust me on this. You do not blend.
    i dont blend in?!?!?!?!? but i always have o many people looking at me like im some sort of-oh............i think youre right,cpm. i a a little odd. some mih even go as far as to sy a bit........queer.......

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i blend in fine. like all the best psychopaths.

it's so long since I read a book... I think I should get a book for a change, it improves ones vocabulary skills and it's fun after all...

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    i dont blend in?!?!?!?!? but i always have o many people looking at me like im some sort of-oh............i think youre right,cpm. i a a little odd. some mih even go as far as to sy a bit........queer.......
    Are you insinuating something, Mr. Malcolm ???

moi? never! lol although i do like tha word....insinuate....hmmm......sounds kinky!

in-sin-u-ate! lo

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

60 books is nothing. I won an award in the fifth grade for reading the most books the school had ever seen. I read 187 books that year alone. ( and got LOTS of extra credit for book reports)

that's something

i remembr when i was a wee little fuk that they gave you these little pizzas for reading books.i was such a fat kid. lol

awwww i nevre got pizza for reading books... it would have made reading the crappy books the school made you read worth while... haha

my schools were kinda cool cus they had like comicbook digsts of superman and batman and heman and shit.sighhhhhhh.............he-man! i so anted t be tat red headed chick as a kitten. lol

+ Reply to Thread