+ Reply to Thread

Thread: $14 for one load of washing? FFS!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default $14 for one load of washing? FFS!

Finally had to do laundry after being in London for a little more than a week. SEVEN POUNDS to wash and dry ONE load + what ever the old bat charged me for soap. Since it's currently $2.09 to the pound as of this morning that was the most money I've ever spent on washing ever. When I lived in LA and could go like a month between trips to the laundromat, i would wash and dry 4-5 loads (me and Rob's stuff) for under $10 a trip (+soap and dryer sheets).

The lady at the launderette wanted 9 pounds 50 to do my washing for me and the hotel wanted nearly double that to take my washing out. Do ppl in this country just donate their dirty clothes to Save the Children and go out and buy new or what?

~K

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: $14 for one load of washing? FFS!

In London there are really three choices:-

1) Don't wash. Favored by students, dissidents and those wishing to make an artistic statement about capitalism, or people on normal wages who prefer to eat more than once a week.

2) Pay for laundry at 'city weighted' rates, for which you then add 25% to your own charges and attempt to cross-deduct soap against tax. This is the reason everyone in London is paid more than in the rest of the country but is poorer because of it.

3) Purchase a washing machine, which will pay for itself in about 10 washes at current rates. For this you will also need to purchase something called 'a house', in which to store the machine. This is sometimes the drawback of plan 3, as the average salary (less deductions for service laundry) is only enough to buy a house smaller than the washing machine in question. Users of plan 3 can find murder and/or marriage provides some assistance.

or, we have what I like to call "the Manhattan Option":-

1) Wear everything you own. Ignore the fact you cannot breathe, simply wear it. People will ignore you as you are in London, where being ignored is what we do to anyone who may potentially try and "talk" at or to us...
    2) Find someone at work performing a task involving concrete, blood or raw sewage. Doctors and murderers may be a problem but anyone else will suffice.
    3) Stumble into them in a dramatic fashion, with as theatrically-camp a squeal as you can manage given all the layers of polyester you're wearing.
    4) SUE.

(but never mind honey.. it's November 5th on Monday! You get to experience one of the oldest English traditions still allowed under the no-smoking laws, where in celebration of the torture and murder of a Catholic in 1606 we allow small children to ram high explosives into the asses of stray cats.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    (but never mind honey.. it's November 5th on Monday! You get to experience one of the oldest English traditions still allowed under the no-smoking laws, where in celebration of the torture and murder of a Catholic in 1606 we allow small children to ram high explosives into the asses of stray cats.)

THAT'S what smells like burning! i spent like 2 hrs thinking "i didn't make any lapsang souchong today- just chai and earl grey." Then my brain went "its the first weekend of Novemeber = Bonfire Night = DUH!" It wasn't till i aw the mortars exploding in the distance that this connection was made, but at least i made it with out any assistance.

~K

The explosions will go on for at least a week, as most of them are launched by kids who don't have the intelligence to know what day it is. We only start putting out terrorist alerts when they're still going off in March. I like to think of it as our own likcle bit of immersion theater for the people who haven't been to Baghdad yet. "You too can drift off to sleep to the sound of explosions! Smell the cordite as you pick your way through the entrails of cats in the street! Marvel at the inhumanity! ($5.99 Mon-Fri 3 screenings rated G for petulance)"

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

didn't do laundry when I was in london.........

hey if you'r in london check out the wallace collection, it's free, well maybe it still is, but it's worth taking the time to see

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

it was 8 euros a week for me to do laundry in France........ 4 times what I paid for at the dorms at my college

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Keiko - call into the V&A Museum. Some awsome exhibits in there.

On fireworks, because our flat is 15 floors up, most fireworks bought by kids explode at the height of our windows. My wife has been the victim of having fireworks thrown at her by grown men (not kids) so she is not too fond of loud bangs. Never been to fond of them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    ...not too fond of loud bangs. Never been to fond of them myself.
    Now there's a pun in there somewhere, if only I could see it....

Michelle Aston's Avatar deviant to the core

When I went to London I just wore latex. Washed in sink, hung to dry. Never wore underwear the whole time I was there. I lived in my overcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    In London there are really three choices:-

1) Wear everything you own. Ignore the fact you cannot breathe, simply wear it. People will ignore you as you are in London, where being ignored is what we do to anyone who may potentially try and "talk" at or to us...

lol, remember when I was in London. I smiled at everyone I met and tried to say Hi to passerbys. They probably thought someone had escaped a mental institution or was trying to mug them.

They always seemed very surprised when we got to talking "Oh..you're an American? You seem so friendly". Hope our reputation is not that bad!

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

My wife has been the victim of having fireworks thrown at her by grown men (not kids) so she is not too fond of loud bangs. Never been to fond of them myself.
    yeah the highschool kids here will do stupid shit like that, but most of them grow out of it.
    some are just plain stupid for life though!!

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

oh i sooooo love a good english accent. i used to work with this hunk from london who had the dreamiest voice. sigh.couldnt go there and have money though-i'd have to have clean clothes, i have this thing about smelling bad or feeling dirty......i dont like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Aston
    When I went to London I just wore latex. Washed in sink, hung to dry. Never wore underwear the whole time I was there. I lived in my overcoat.

oh if only that would work. but i'm allergic to latex. really allergic. goddamned allergies.

Our newest solution -
    Ship it home to mom with a note " Here, wash these"

what the hell, its cheaper than washing them here!

~k

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Our newest solution -
    Ship it home to mom with a note " Here, wash these"
    So let me see if I've got this right... two of the finest members of the burgeoning Adult Entertainment Industry (Heathrow Industrial Park division) are overseas-shipping dirty laundry...

and you say you're short of cash?

id be less short of cash were it not for the fact that not one of my three agents is actually working for me. like i'm on one guys site and he hasn't gotten me a single shoot and the other two are half worthless and half useless.

we were actually considering sending home some of the finery we packed just for the 6 days on the boat, like robs dress shoes and slacks, some of the books, etc. just to lighten the load. we were joking about sending home the laundry. it was a "collage kid home for the holidays" kind of moment.

I think i'm going to bed. this has been the most stressful day yet. cocoa and a nap, The Doctor's orders.

~K

Vote Saxon!

+ Reply to Thread