+ Reply to Thread

Thread: does cutting edge have to be completely new?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default does cutting edge have to be completely new?

yaknow ive noticed (and im sure everyone's heard it ) that if you took a picture of popular culture and went forward atleast twenty years that it would almost completely link up together. which got me to thinkin....does smething cutting edge really have to be brand spanking new or cold it just be redux of something long forgotten and overplayed to death that it could be ressurrected with time and a few improvements/ what do you think?

Default Re: does cutting edge have to be completely new?

do you mean cutting edge technology? if yes then you're wrong...

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

no, it just has to be sharp enough or wielded with enough force to break the surface of the target object. thus, it is a cutting edge.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

well there are still only seven (?)simple machines, electricity still moves the same way, and there are still only 12 notes ina scale, so everthing's already been done, it's just a little different.....and easier on the back

Culturally speaking, I'd say something doesn't have to be brand-spanking-new to be cutting edge, if people who are either discovering it for the first time, or re-discovering it, find that it fits their particular social, cultural and other situations at a given point in time.

Also, there are ways of re-interpreting a particular artistic piece for a different generation than it was originally interpreted.

Please keep in mind, though, in re-interpreting something from another time period, to at least remain true to the spirit, if not the whole form, of the original.

The big problem with most movie re-makes, in my opinion, is that they only take some of the form, and precious little of the spirit of the original work.

To me, it's no wonder why most of them end up sinking like stones to the bottom of the box office pond.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

thanx don, i think youre the only one that got what im talkn about lol. i mean cuttin edge a far as fashon and pop culture. andwow! there's only seven simple machines?........would have thoght atleast twenty what with the invention of the vibrator and all.

+ Reply to Thread