+ Reply to Thread

Thread: under your fingernail Tattoos

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default under your fingernail Tattoos

Okay so this sounds weird, because it is weird. I had a client ask me that if he gets his nails removed (by a doctor) if it would be possible to tattoo the cuticles before his nails grow back in.

Besides trying to find a Dr. that would do such a thing, whatta you think about the tattoo part?

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: under-your-fingernail-Tattoos

i think that would quite possibly be the most horribly painful thing you could do to yourself...
    why on earth would he want to do it? ahhhh... that makes me cringe so bad.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: under your fingernail Tattoos

that is beyond weird....it's fucking insane......although it'd be fun to do to someone else

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i agree with cherry.

*scoots away from karl* oookaaaay....

~K

Jeezuz fuck. That's like one of my irrational fears, to get a nail ripped off me. Aughguh.
    I suppose the end result would look interesting, but I think I would opt for nail polish instead. However...my guess is a no, because you would need the spot to heal first, so your nail would start growing back during that time...but I don't know shit about nails.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

it's not really possible, nails just don't grow that way, or really connect to what's underneath them....I've lost a few nails, it's been a while but what I really remember is the urge to protect my fingertips

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

somehow the idea of having to go to the doctor and pay him to remove my nails every other week to show off my tats, just doesnt sit right with me.

hehe lady alias... that fear is not irrational at all!!!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

It would never happen. The ink would wear out in such soft tissue. Theyd pretty much blur and you wouldnt e able to tell what they are except black blobs once your nails grew in.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

if the dumbass wants to spend the money and knows the details then fuckin hook his ass up and laugh as he cries like a little bitch through the pain custhe skin under your nails is super fuckin sensitive. once had an issue of saage though whre a guy had a butterfly inked on his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    if the dumbass wants to spend the money and knows the details then fuckin hook his ass up and laugh as he cries like a little bitch through the pain custhe skin under your nails is super fuckin sensitive. once had an issue of saage though whre a guy had a butterfly inked on his tongue.

My co-worker got his tongue tattood last week, it mostly all fell out but you can still see what the design was, though it's only been about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    It would never happen. The ink would wear out in such soft tissue. Theyd pretty much blur and you wouldnt e able to tell what they are except black blobs once your nails grew in.
    So kinda like when people smash their fingers and it's all purple under there...?? ewww I hate the way that looks.. It's disgusting looking.

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    somehow the idea of having to go to the doctor and pay him to remove my nails every other week to show off my tats, just doesnt sit right with me.
    I don't think a dr. would even do that if it's not for a reasonable reason. He'd have to probably do it himself, eek!

please! give a doctor enough money and he'll do whatever you want!-well, most of the ones out here anyway

Roxy Contin's Avatar Member

uhhh that's just awful! I crushed my finger in the window the other day when I was hanging a sign for a clown party, and I've been in terrible pain for the last week straight. The idea of removing the nail, dragging needles through the raw flesh underneath, ahhh it's terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy Contin
    uhhh that's just awful! I crushed my finger in the window the other day when I was hanging a sign for a clown party, and I've been in terrible pain for the last week straight. The idea of removing the nail, dragging needles through the raw flesh underneath, ahhh it's terrible!
    ni! a clown party? i wanna go!

Long semi technical answer warning.
    It's been awhile since I did anything with them, but as someone who's licensed by the state of California to work on nails I'd absolutely recommend against doing anything like this.
    I doubt he's talking about the cuticle since that is accessible without removing the nail. The cuticle is the crescent of tough skin at the base of the fingernail and tattooing it while possible-ish (it tends to grow out and fall off or get clipped off by a manicurist) it would be silly since it's basicaly the nails infection and injury prevention zone.
    The part of the nail he's probably talking about tattooing is the nail bed which is a very very thin layer of skin full of blood vessels and nerve endings. Also the nail doesn't just sit on top of the bed, it's actually connected by a thin layer of tissue called the bed epithelium which forces the nail plate to grow towards the end of the digit instead of growing straight up off the matrix bed. It's also likely that the tattooing or the removal would damage the nail matrix which produces the keratin that makes up the nail which could result in dozens of nasty looking and feeling disorders. Pull up some pictures of trumpet nail, onychatrophia (wasting away of the nail) or pterygium to show him what could happen to his nail if he goes through with this.

sorry for the double post:
    Wanted to add that it's possible that it _miiiight_ work and be no worse than an average hematoma removal and regrowth, but really why would you want to try? If he wants to be an EBM pioneer go for it, just have an air tight waiver for him to sign.

hmmm, roxy contin dressed up as a clown... (cue the day dream harp music)

...ripping off finger nails? nah. lost a few to various accidents, toenails as well. not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Awesome
    Long semi technical answer warning.
    It's been awhile since I did anything with them, but as someone who's licensed by the state of California to work on nails I'd absolutely recommend against doing anything like this.
    I doubt he's talking about the cuticle since that is accessible without removing the nail. The cuticle is the crescent of tough skin at the base of the fingernail and tattooing it while possible-ish (it tends to grow out and fall off or get clipped off by a manicurist) it would be silly since it's basicaly the nails infection and injury prevention zone.
    The part of the nail he's probably talking about tattooing is the nail bed which is a very very thin layer of skin full of blood vessels and nerve endings. Also the nail doesn't just sit on top of the bed, it's actually connected by a thin layer of tissue called the bed epithelium which forces the nail plate to grow towards the end of the digit instead of growing straight up off the matrix bed. It's also likely that the tattooing or the removal would damage the nail matrix which produces the keratin that makes up the nail which could result in dozens of nasty looking and feeling disorders. Pull up some pictures of trumpet nail, onychatrophia (wasting away of the nail) or pterygium to show him what could happen to his nail if he goes through with this.

Thanks sooo much!!!! When he comes in next time I will pull this up for him

heh yeah. thats all kinds of nasty... ow.
    every time i see this thread it makes my fingernails hurt...
    couple months ago jamie dropped a computer case side right onto his toenail. cracked it right in half almost all the way up to the cuticle. NOT FUCKIN FUN!! i didnt let him go to work the next day. steel toed boots and broken fucked up toenails dont mix well.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I know I'm coming in late to this thread, but we've had no net connection for a month! (IT'S BEEN HELL!)
    Anyway, this does sound bloody painful, and anyone wanting to try it would definitely need some serious help. I've had Nails on my hand split down the nail bed before and I can tell you, the skin under there is extremely senisitive! I couldn't ever pick things up because the skin would put pressure on the nail and give me sharp pains up my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    heh yeah. thats all kinds of nasty... ow.
    every time i see this thread it makes my fingernails hurt...
    couple months ago jamie dropped a computer case side right onto his toenail. cracked it right in half almost all the way up to the cuticle. NOT FUCKIN FUN!! i didnt let him go to work the next day. steel toed boots and broken fucked up toenails dont mix well.

go to the Dr., hopefully they'll prescribe him Oxycontin

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I know I'm coming in late to this thread, but we've had no net connection for a month! (IT'S BEEN HELL!)
    Anyway, this does sound bloody painful, and anyone wanting to try it would definitely need some serious help. I've had Nails on my hand split down the nail bed before and I can tell you, the skin under there is extremely senisitive! I couldn't ever pick things up because the skin would put pressure on the nail and give me sharp pains up my hand.

Ouch, now that I think about it, I remember something like that happening to me (and that feeling you're talking about) when I was a child.

banged the fuck ou of my pinkie sparring today with teboss. hesh good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    go to the Dr., hopefully they'll prescribe him Oxycontin

hahaa no hes all good... plus seen too many people on "intervention" addicted to that stuff heh... nothanx! tylenol 3s make me high haha!

Tigerlily's Avatar Bang Bang Kiss Die

the thought makes me kinda upchuck in my mouth a little, but the idea of looking at someone's fingernails and seeing a tattoo underneath would be really cool

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily
    the thought makes me kinda upchuck in my mouth a little, but the idea of looking at someone's fingernails and seeing a tattoo underneath would be really cool
    i was thinking the same thing

+ Reply to Thread