+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how often do u shampoo your hair?

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Default how often do u shampoo your hair?

I havent cut my hair in just over a year, and it's longer then I've ever had it. I notice my hair is a lot easier to "maintain" or "manage" if I only shampoo it once or twice a week. Is this like a generally agreed upon thing that I never knew about? or am I really just a stinky hippy?

*use of quotes to show I'm not secure enough in my manhood to type that phrase without feeling emasculated.

Default Re: how often do u shampoo your hair?

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    I havent cut my hair in just over a year, and it's longer then I've ever had it. I notice my hair is a lot easier to "maintain" or "manage" if I only shampoo it once or twice a week. Is this like a generally agreed upon thing that I never knew about? or am I really just a stinky hippy?

*use of quotes to show I'm not secure enough in my manhood to type that phrase without feeling emasculated.
    If it seems to be working for you you're doing it right. Better salon quality shampoos and conditioners help prevent oily buildup that makes hair greasy or dirty. I only wash my hair every three days to preserve my color and because it looks best on the second day.
    Also as a mostly straight male hairstylist who also happens to get tons of ass I'm not sure why using terminology associated with hair would be emasculating unless your being sarcastic in which case it's kinda funny.

right on. i think i need something better then the $5 shampoo at the grocery stores. i guess they call that "product" in your industry.

thanks for the insight and yes I was being sarcastic

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I was my hair twice a week. I use a "LUSH Solid Shampoo" called Hybrid, because it's black, smells of Aniseed and is a shampoo and conditioner.

I wash it twice a week because it's mostly a hassle washing it more often (it's almost long enough to reach my arse, just about to the small of my back), but since I don't really style it as much as brush it and tie it back, it doesn't much matter. Sometimes I give it an additional wash if I'm going out.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I only wash my hair average 3 times a week. First reason because of hair dye, it washes out way too fast. 2nd reason is because shampoos strip your hair of natural oils. I do however always throw on some Mane N Tail conditioner and leave it in after my shower. My hair is growing super fast after I started using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I only wash my hair average 3 times a week. First reason because of hair dye, it washes out way too fast. 2nd reason is because shampoos strip your hair of natural oils.
    A good shampoo shouldn't strip your hair of natural oils. A good shampoo should have a ph of 4.5 to 5.5 which would do nominal damage to the acid mantel that coats the cuticle. Keristas, Enjoy, and Davines are all companies that take extra care in formulation to make sure the Ph is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I do however always throw on some Mane N Tail conditioner and leave it in after my shower. My hair is growing super fast after I started using it.
    That's really weird, Mane N Tail is nothing but various grades of alcohol and wax in a surfactant/ texturizer/ preservative suspension. Also, It may not be tested on animals but it sure is made from some of them.
    If you want your hair to grow faster start taking 1000 mg of Biotin a day. Upside it makes your hair grow faster. Downside it makes all your hair grow faster.

At the risk of sounding lazy and lacking in personal hygiene....

can you just tell me what a good shampoo is? I've seriously never spent more then 5 to 10 bucks on shampoo.

can you just tell me what a good shampoo is? I've seriously never spent more then 5 to 10 bucks on shampoo.
    Nothing under 10 bucks is good. I spend more than that and I get mad discounts.
    Your best bet is to go to a salon that carries Enjoy, Bumble and Bumble, Keristas (bar none the best for damaged hair), Davines, Pureology, Alterna (the new caviar is really nice for dry hair), or Paul Mitchel (I really like shampoo 1 and super skinny). Don't buy your products from drug stores. They are diverted products that have been removed from the authorized product control and protection circuit. There is no guarantee that what is on the label is in the bottle unless you buy from a professional and respectable salon. Also you'll probably pay less than you would at a drugstore.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Awesome
    A good shampoo shouldn't strip your hair of natural oils. A good shampoo should have a ph of 4.5 to 5.5 which would do nominal damage to the acid mantel that coats the cuticle. Keristas, Enjoy, and Davines are all companies that take extra care in formulation to make sure the Ph is correct.

That's really weird, Mane N Tail is nothing but various grades of alcohol and wax in a surfactant/ texturizer/ preservative suspension. Also, It may not be tested on animals but it sure is made from some of them.
    If you want your hair to grow faster start taking 1000 mg of Biotin a day. Upside it makes your hair grow faster. Downside it makes all your hair grow faster.
    Dont know, I always used it on my horses, and on my cat, and it left their hair absolutely beautiful, soft, shiny, and it grew very fast.

I decided to try it, and wow, my hair grew over an inch in 3 months. Nothing has changed in my diet or anything, and before it would take about 5 months to grow it the length it is now. My hair always grew slow, haha. And yeah, Ill go without the Biotin. Used to take it...and ummm, lets just say I went through a lot of razors, haha.

And I still wont use a lot of shampoo, my dye washes out too fast;] And Im too cheap to buy anything other than Suave at the dollar store;p

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I heard that washing your hair in horse manure really makes it shine.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Lol, Id like to see someone try that, considering most horse poo is still in solid hay form.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I wash my hair pretty much every day, out of habit, but I try not to because I do color my hair often and I do like to keep my colors vibrant as long as possible. Its just hard for me to have greasy hair sometimes. Although, when I do style it nicely, it does seem to look even better the second or third day!

Does anyone have any good shampoo/conditioner suggestions for colored hair?

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    I wash my hair pretty much every day, out of habit, but I try not to because I do color my hair often and I do like to keep my colors vibrant as long as possible. Its just hard for me to have greasy hair sometimes. Although, when I do style it nicely, it does seem to look even better the second or third day!

Davines Alchemic , Pureology Colorcare, Bedheads Dumb Blonde, Paul Mitchell Color Protect.

I wash my hair about once a week, sometime a little more often depending on what I am doing during said week. But it should also be noted that I have dreads and they are a pain to wash and get dry again.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

jax- main and tail stuff rocks. i havent had their shampoo or conditioner in forever, but i have some of their "hoofmaker" hand and nail cream... im in love with this stuff like you wouldnt believe.

3 times a week

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    jax- main and tail stuff rocks. i havent had their shampoo or conditioner in forever, but i have some of their "hoofmaker" hand and nail cream... im in love with this stuff like you wouldnt believe.
    I used to always use 'hoofmaker' and my nails grew in thicker. I loved that stuff.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

yeah thats the same stuff. it rocks

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Kerastase is so deeply my favorite. I like to alternate it with more scalp-friendly product, but there is nothing as good (or as expensive) as Kerastase for my hair. Sometimes I condition without shampooing and vice-versa, so I probably shampoo shampoo like 5 times a week most of the time. Unless I've got a really fabulous blowdry I just have to savor for a few days.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

I wash my hair daily. I heard somewhere that if you don't wash your hair for over a month, it gets to the stage where it produces certain levels of oil and you never have to wash it again. I'm personally not game enough to try it because if I leave my hair for just one day without washing it, it's like an oil rig.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

3-4 times a week but I condition it every day...i have super dry hair

Biolage shampoo and Conditioner smell soooo good mmmmm

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I like redken. I've been a redken girl since I was 16. when my hair gets tired of it, I use bumble and bumble gentle shampoo, and super rich conditioner. I always go back to redken all soft line witha after shower finish of redken's anti snap.... it keeps the hair on my head. my hair is naturally very dark, and I bleach it very blonde. been doing it for ten years now.... my hair feels like silk.....

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock

redken color extend line.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Kerastase is so deeply my favorite. I like to alternate it with more scalp-friendly product, but there is nothing as good (or as expensive) as Kerastase for my hair. Sometimes I condition without shampooing and vice-versa, so I probably shampoo shampoo like 5 times a week most of the time. Unless I've got a really fabulous blowdry I just have to savor for a few days.
    I will bet good money that alterna's cavaiar shampoo and conditioner is at least twice the price of kerastase... cavaiar is 60 bucks a bottle.... my stylist used some on me last time I had my hair colored..... that stuff is nothing short of AWESOME..... I just can't afford it. $120 just to shampoo and condition my hair alone is just not in my budget..... but I wish it was.

oh yeah.... i only wash my hair like twice a week.... never ever more than three times a week.....

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

My hair gets all frizzy (from previous years of dye jobs) if I wash it more often than every 3-4 days.
    I use cheapy dandruff shampoo and Thermasilk leave in conditioner. It's fantastic!

Since I work as a salon professioanl and for a product company I am partial to Bed Head. Any salon grade shampoo is better than what you buy in the drug store for two reasons
    1. Salon products are much more concentrated, the drugstore ones use stronger detergents and water them down more, which is not good for the health of your hair and scalp.
    2. Drugstore conditioners are often loaded with wax and silicone to smooth down the cuticle of the hair and make it shiney, but the results are temporary and all those fillers build up in your hairshaft eventually causing breakage.

As far as frequency, I recommend client shampoo as infrequently as they are able to and still have decent lookign hair. I personally use a ton of product and my hair is very fine, so I have to shampoo every day. Another helpful tip is don't turn your dryers or heat tools to the highest settign automatically. Often these tools are make for multiethnic hair, and only very coarse hair requires the highest setting. The vast majority of people out there are frying their hair becasue no one has ever told them this information. Also, always use a heat protectant with flat iron/curling irons. Okay...done with the lecture

Oil~Boy 26's Avatar rebuilding in pain

I have found my Zen, Every other day with an anti dandruff shampoo.

OB~26

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I shampoo my bleached locks every other day and I use the Garnier Fructise (or however its spelled) Sleek and Shine shampoo and Long and Strong conditioner. Works great and doesn't break the budget. I'm also partial to Herbal Essences for thirsty hair in the light blue bottles. And there's always Aussie deeeeeep 3 min miracle which my hair was very glad of last night after going for about a month with out conditioners. Travel sucks on hair. Depends on what your hair is dyed with on what shampoos to use for dyed hair.

Mane and Tail, Bridles and Bows both ROCK.

~K

mr_d's Avatar rock star/internet geek
    everywhere and anywhere. I was a nomad till I was old enough to live on my own. I now consider Denver to be my hometown even thought I'm a New Yorker now.

You don't know because you're a guy and most guys have relatively short hair so it doesn't really matter.

I didn't know good hair product until I let my hair get long for the first time and my hair was damaged and crappy looking.

Get some shampoo and conditioner from a salon. Grocery store stuff is never good. Or if there's a trade secret near you, you can get good product there. Right now I'm using Redken's protein shampoo and biolage color treated conditioner but i'll change it up with another shampoo every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G

well, now that my hair is 5 months longer i've finally purchased some quality stuff...i hope

i got the Kerastase BAIN OLÉO-RELAX, MASQUE OLÉO-RELAX, and SÉRUM OLÉO-RELAX.

This stuff isnt cheap... I'm hoping it'll be worth it.... but I have to start somewhere

Maybe I should post before and after pics...

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

I only shampoo my hair once!

I use suave version of biolage. I like it just fine, but the trick is to follow up with one of those micro oil fructis for long hair... and days where I'm not going anywhere.. I use olive oil, as a deep conditioner treatment.

I only wash my hair once or twice a week, (or whenever I go somewhere) my hair is ultra fine in texture... and until I started the olive oil, and conditioners with dimethicone my hair stayed broke off, split ended, and wouldn't grow past my shoulders, my hair is at least to my bra strap around my rib cage.
    I use a mixture of shampoo with a bit of Gain laundry soap to strip my hair for an ultra clean feeling about once a month. My hair is pretty healthy and shiny.
    I dont color, my hair deeply resents such treatment, and tries to commit suicide.

well, now that my hair is 5 months longer i've finally purchased some quality stuff...i hope

i got the Kerastase BAIN OLÉO-RELAX, MASQUE OLÉO-RELAX, and SÉRUM OLÉO-RELAX.

This stuff isnt cheap... I'm hoping it'll be worth it.... but I have to start somewhere

Maybe I should post before and after pics...
    Please do, and how much does it cost?

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

I find that Pert plus w/ conditioner is adequate for my hair. It makes my hair lovely and only costs like $5 a gallon or so.

once or twice a week is the way to go... if you do it often you just damage your hair and hair roots more....

Fact is if you wash it often it just gets dirty and smelly faster... by washing it less it sustains clean much longer. I have a friend who's came second in place last year on the hair stylist of sweden

Thats really kewl.

I didnt know that it gets dirty and smelly faster.

I know its damaging... but not the other. Thats good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I shampoo my bleached locks every other day and I use the Garnier Fructise (or however its spelled) Sleek and Shine shampoo and Long and Strong conditioner. Works great and doesn't break the budget. I'm also partial to Herbal Essences for thirsty hair in the light blue bottles. And there's always Aussie deeeeeep 3 min miracle which my hair was very glad of last night after going for about a month with out conditioners. Travel sucks on hair. Depends on what your hair is dyed with on what shampoos to use for dyed hair.

Mane and Tail, Bridles and Bows both ROCK.

~K
    Fructis has good products, way worth the money!!!

Check out the Long Hair Community Forum. Those people know more about hair than anyone else on the planet.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/

I wash my hair about every three days. I need to oil it more. It's getting some heat damage from putting it up in hot rollers all the time.

Thank you for that link, I'll be sure to check it out!

+ Reply to Thread