+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voluptuous Life Release Party

Default Voluptuous Life Release Party

I just had a bit of a DC/Baltimore flashback weekend. Photographer Carlos Batts planned to do a gallery show/video release party at the combined studio locations of Federico Zignani and Apollo Starr. Normally such an event would be on my...
    Read the full article

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Default Re: Voluptuous Life Release Party

Looks like my kind of party! Redhead, voluptuous!

Default Sidetracked by technical detail ... (Re: Voluptuous Life Release Party)

Whoa -- Type R prints? I thought R chemistry wasn't available any more. At least that's what a Kodak sales rep told the lab where I used to get reversal prints made, shortly before they went out of business (probably inevitable given the number of customers switching to digital, but accelerated by some of those customers being pushed to digital sooner by the unavailability of R prints).

I have some colour infrared slides that need printing, where I'm nervous about contrast changes with an interneg -- I've already got Type-R prints in a smaller size but I want them larger. If the chemistry is still available someplace ...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Voluptuous Life Release Party

Yeah, I moved to Los Angeles because there were a lot more darkroom options and pro labs that could do what I needed done. Kodak also discontinued some of the supplies I really relied on stylistically and it really threw me for a loop. There is film I feel like I'm just getting back to after years of knowing I couldn't get what I wanted out of it.

Carlos and April are super cool and always fun to be around and it really was a pretty fancy event. I wish I could have been there longer, but I do feel like I get the experience. It's always great to see people you've known and worked with and been friends with for a long long time do cool new projects and be successful doing it too.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Sidetracked by technical detail ... (Re: Voluptuous Life Release Party)

Quote Originally Posted by D'Glenn
    Whoa -- Type R prints? I thought R chemistry wasn't available any more. At least that's what a Kodak sales rep told the lab where I used to get reversal prints made, shortly before they went out of business (probably inevitable given the number of customers switching to digital, but accelerated by some of those customers being pushed to digital sooner by the unavailability of R prints).

I have some colour infrared slides that need printing, where I'm nervous about contrast changes with an interneg -- I've already got Type-R prints in a smaller size but I want them larger. If the chemistry is still available someplace ...
    I swear the traditional film side of photography is so self-sabotaging with the awesome and beloved products they discontinue. I assume the prints were new, so I could probably find out for you where in Los Angeles you could send your stuff to be printed. Probably crazy expensive as those things tend to go, but might be cool for a few shots you really just want to see right.

Default Re: Sidetracked by technical detail ... (Re: Voluptuous Life Release Party)

*nod* Something for me to save up for -- or to include into the price I quote if somebody else asks for a copy for their wall.

I'm just glad for the sign that it may still be possible.

+ Reply to Thread