+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Personality tests ~How do I cheat?~

Default Personality tests ~How do I cheat?~

I may have a job interview at a large company and I know for a fact they do both personality test and IQ test. Does anybody have any insight into what I can expect and more importantly how can I cheat? Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Default Re: Personality tests ~How do I cheat?~

Don't be obvious and pick all the "goody two-shoe" answers, especially if it doesn't show that you are perfect in your verbal interview. They can pretty much tell you are lieing when you choose all one type of answer.

But, I have always answered those things honestly and never "failed" one. It's all dependent on the job's number threshold. Some jobs require a higher morale, while others just require that you can read the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow
    Don't be obvious and pick all the "goody two-shoe" answers, especially if it doesn't show that you are perfect in your verbal interview. They can pretty much tell you are lieing when you choose all one type of answer.

But, I have always answered those things honestly and never "failed" one. It's all dependent on the job's number threshold. Some jobs require a higher morale, while others just require that you can read the questions.
    I've heard that the questions are creepier than asking if I've stolen something or whatever. This company apparently uses the Jung-Myers-Briggs test or something similar. I've been looking online for a cheat but haven't found one yet.

I'm just freaked out a little. I think a lot of psychologists are phonies and a fucking HR douche analyzing me from some form-letter test makes me uneasy. Damn..., I'd be so disappointed if I didn't get the job based on some voodoo psych test.

I guess what I'm saying is how do I fool these people into thinking I'm not a total cunt. It might not be possible....

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

If you want the job, maybe you have the right personality for it already?

I suppose, but I'm looking for a sure thing. I'd like to beat them at their own game if possible.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

ask them if they're scientologists

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

aren't they more interested in things like aptitude and skills

I've never once passed one of those "personality tests". Not sure what that says about me.

dead_but_twitching's Avatar Member

" if the director calls and i'm not there to answer the phone, because i'm probably hungover at tiffany's, what would you tell him?"

just say "i'd say you're having lunch with the president?"

no but seriously. don't be too corny and answer everything with an appraisal to the company...
    and don't be too rough and decisve either..
    just find something in between

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I always think of these things as if I'm dealing with the police. If you must tell the truth, tell them what they want to hear with the assumption that they allready know the answer, but don't admit to anything that will incriminate you. If it's a question for example that can't be primarily answered with a "yes or "no", than assume that they don't know the answer, and that's why they are fishing for information, and in that case lie. and always try and be as vague as possible, that way it's harder for you to be contradicted.

maybe that doesn't apply to the corporate world, but here's a truism that fits both. If they ask you a question that enables you to put blame or fault or reproach on someone else, then always agree with it. You might not think that's what they want to hear, because you consider being a narc a bad thing and you know everyone will hate you for it, but they do want to hear that and consider it a good thing. that is thier job.

also don't try and be funny. your charming personality won't win them over, they'll just think you're a smartass prick.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

If it's a job interview then they shouldn't be using YMB at all; it's a trait analysis not an aptitude indicator so has no relevance to how able someone is in a particular role. You may be able to filter out the paranoid introverts if they fit the stereotype, but your MBTI has nothing to do with how hard you work, how intelligent you are or how well you interface with others. The test is marketed as a tool for counseling and guidance but certainly not for employment selection.

If it's really a YMB test then it'll be a set of two-option multiple choice questions, so you don't have leeway to make up your own responses or be vague. The questions are designed to be 'uncheatable' in the sense there's no 'right' answer - the personality typing is predicted from a pattern of choices, so you'd have to memorize over 50 questions to force a certain result. Picking randomly will still usually give a result, but it'll be inaccurate in a random direction - so it's better to choose the answers based on your true opinions. The test is considered extremely unreliable anyways, with less than half of people getting the same result twice.

In short, if a company is basing employment decisions on a YMB type code, it's not you that has the problem. They do.

How did the test go? Do you have a personality ;-p

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I always think of these things as if I'm dealing with the police. If you must tell the truth, tell them what they want to hear with the assumption that they allready know the answer, but don't admit to anything that will incriminate you. If it's a question for example that can't be primarily answered with a "yes or "no", than assume that they don't know the answer, and that's why they are fishing for information, and in that case lie. and always try and be as vague as possible, that way it's harder for you to be contradicted.

maybe that doesn't apply to the corporate world, but here's a truism that fits both. If they ask you a question that enables you to put blame or fault or reproach on someone else, then always agree with it. You might not think that's what they want to hear, because you consider being a narc a bad thing and you know everyone will hate you for it, but they do want to hear that and consider it a good thing. that is thier job.

also don't try and be funny. your charming personality won't win them over, they'll just think you're a smartass prick.
    I love smartass pricks.

Mindgames gave me some great advice. Thanks Dude!

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I've almost given up, they said they would get back to me in a week or so, but have not called me yet. Fucking sucks... I'm pissed. I mean maybe they will still call, but I'm not so sure I really want to work for a big corporation anyways.

I hate looking for a new job and interviews and shit. It's stressful.

+ Reply to Thread