+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what would you do if you saw a wanted billboard with someone you knew on it?

and your little dog too

Default what would you do if you saw a wanted billboard with someone you knew on it?

from network world

FBI to put criminals, security issues up in digital billboard lights
    Submitted by Layer 8 on Wed, 12/26/2007 - 10:02pm.

The FBI today said it wants to install 150 digital billboards in 20 major U.S. cities in the next few weeks to show fugitive mug shots, missing people and high-priority security messages from the big bureau.

The initiative is made possible through a partnership with Clear Channel Outdoor, the advertising company that’s providing the space as a public service.

The billboards will let the FBI highlight those people it is looking for the most: violent criminals, kidnap victims, missing kids, bank robbers, even terrorists, the FBI said in a release. And the billboards will be able to be updated largely in real-time —right after a crime is committed, a child is taken, or an attack is launched.

The FBI said it tested its first billboard in the Philadelphia area in September, with crystal-clear images of 11 of its most violent fugitives on eight billboards and a 24-hour hotline for the public to call. The billboards paid quick public safety dividends. In October, two fugitives were captured as a direct result of the publicity, the FBI said.

Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Miami will be among those cities provided with the new billboards, along with Milwaukee and Philadelphia.The FBI said Atlanta, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis will also get the billboards, as will Akron, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio; Albuquerque, N.M.; El Paso, Texas; Des Moines, Iowa; Newark, N.J.; Wichita, Kan.; and the Florida cities of Tampa and Orlando.

Using digital billboards to put pressure on criminals is not an entirely new concept. According to a CNN report, in September, Florida authorities arrested a drug suspect two weeks after his photo was displayed on a billboard in Daytona Beach. A tipster who saw the suspect's picture found him sitting in a McDonald's. The billboards have also been useful in disasters. When an interstate bridge collapsed in August in Minneapolis, billboards displayed an emergency message within 15 minutes, the report stated.

The downside is that only a small fraction of U.S. billboards are digital – 500 or so out of estimated 450,000 total signs, according to published reports.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: what would you do if you saw a wanted billboard with someone you knew on it?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Re: what would you do if you saw a wanted billboard with someone you knew on it?

depends on what i knew them for and if i thought they were actually guilty of what they're wanted for.

~K

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hey, why not? they allready let corporations run prisons (good ol USA slave labor).

just wait till we get to see the court battles when people are now getting sued for illegal copy-right infringement and distribution of mug shots for putting up wanted posters in thier neighborhoods.

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    depends on what i knew them for and if i thought they were actually guilty of what they're wanted for.
    That was my exact answer.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

id frame the poster

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I was on a billboard, but it wasn't a wanted billboard.

xxxnecklacexxx's Avatar Member

hmmm I might, but then again I am always second geussing myself so I would really have to be sure it was the same person...maybe do a drive by with them in the car and slow down.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

reward?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

+ Reply to Thread