+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the merits of where you are now

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Default the merits of where you are now

Amelia's thread on "where would you like to live" got me thinking. what do people see in their own area that they like?

for me its the fact i'm 15 mins from a city, yet have mountains, forestry and an ocean beach 5 minutes walk away. The Gower Estuary South Wales is where i am

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Default Re: the merits of where you are now

We're 15 storeys up in a block, so in the summer we can leave the windows open without the fear of anyone bar Spider-man breaking in; We live in the town centre, so can get public transport to almost anywhere and shopping is really easy; it's far enough away from my parent's house to not have them around all the time, but close enough to get there on ther bus if I need to; when we go out for the night, it's really cheap to get a taxi home.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

the mortgage is small

that's about it.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

There's a giant fucking awesome mountain half an hour away that you can drive halfway up.

There's an ocean nearby, so there's fuckloads of fresh fish and

There's coffee galore...

I live maybe 12 blocks from the harbor in Baltimore City, in a place I share with friends. It's cheap. There are some good grocery stores, restaurants, theaters and other attractions clustered relatively nearby, as well as convenience stores in walking distance. I can bike to work if I'm feeling ambitious. Access to lots of seminars, classes, resources, etc. There are some interesting people.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

10 minute walk from the train station, my work, the local shopping centre, two pubs and three bottlos... which is handy, since i cant drive

Its cheap and the scenerys nice.

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

In the morning I could find my self under the sea in some of the best cold water diving evah. Mmmm wetsuits.

Then I can have a delightful lunch at an amazing restaurant.

Then I can zip up the mountain to Whistler should I decide to throw myself down a hill covered in snow. Apparently thats fun ...

Now I have done the first and second of these but not the third ... Unless I moved back home (to England) I don't think I will ever move from here.

Plus I have a crazy house from 1912, with two altars in the back yard, what used to be confessionals in my living room, a walk in freezer (minus the cold) that can sleep four and a bunker under the garage. On the down side I have yet to finish the kitchen so I still can't make myself a good cup o tea.

WHAT!

my dear, Tea is of the highest priority!

lack of tea defiantly brings the mood down and why i spent the first 2 days of my last visit state side hunting down a place that sells decent loose leaf tea.

after all, The empire was IMHO built on tea.

Canada was a very attractive proposition for emigration for me, unfortunatly i dont have the points.

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

Lots of good tea shops in Vancouver.

Oh and ... we have a employment crunch at the moment ... http://www.workbc.ca/

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

The only way you can get into Canada without the points is to be from India and working for $2 an hour for Nortel.

Or as my friend Kate put it (another cannuck) "claim asylum" which seems to be a how to get into the UK at the mo. I've no problems with folk who are here to work and contribute but we got to many healtcare/socialcare scroungers, as i understand canada is also suffering from conversations

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    as i understand canada is also suffering from conversations

yeah, I've had to suffer through a few conversations lately

Doh!

Sinmara's Avatar Junior Member

amazing club scene in London - too many BDSM and goth clubs to chose from (not complaining!) - cultural diversity

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Beautiful City. Lots of Greenery and space. Lot of independent businesses and cool coffeeshops and hangouts. Great museums, orchestras, and theater.

J

PS: MPLS has the worst "club scene" (relating to some of the tastes many have here) on the planet. In answer to the previous question: I'd like to be beamed up to SF, LA, London, and Kyiv at the millisecond of my choosing.

+ Reply to Thread