+ Reply to Thread

Thread: God Bless You

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

Default God Bless You

When I was a little younger, and a way to aggressive, I used to take offense to people spouting out their religious blessings on my. I took as a spit on my fundamental religious belief; ling time pagan here.
    Now that I have mellowed out, I don't find it offensive at all. In fact, I'm cool with someone wishing me well, whatever their (misguided) beliefs may be.

I started thinking about this after striking a nice conversation with a sweet (and damn hot) lady after she bummed a smoke off me.

So, I'm just wondering if I was the only one assholy enough to have ever been offended by someone else's religious best wishes.

Default Re: God Bless You

Do you mean in general? My thoughts have varied, though I'm not sure I would say I was ever offended. I thought it was kind of an arrogant and presumptuous thing to say. Currently my attitude towards it is pretty much the same as yours.

I've thought about it after you sneeze...it's just something you say, not necessarily with an intended religious connection, despite it's origin (it's kind of funny/disturbing that we still say it in that context).

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I'm way too evil to take offense at that

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I just say "thanks, you too." and take it as a sign that at least we can find some shared spirtual ground when it comes to positive human interaction.

and hey, it beats someone splashing you with holy water and trying to exorcise your demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I just say "thanks, you too." and take it as a sign that at least we can find some shared spirtual ground when it comes to positive human interaction.

and hey, it beats someone splashing you with holy water and trying to exorcise your demons.

True, I hate it when people do that... it always fucks with my smoking

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

we have a guy that writes God bless you in the tip spot of his c.c. ticket. and has NEVER left a real tip...I want to shoot him in the face

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    we have a guy that writes God bless you in the tip spot of his c.c. ticket. and has NEVER left a real tip...I want to shoot him in the face

wtf! ball up that fucking cc slip and throw it back in his face!

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

if someone says god bless you in a positive way (example: a fair few little old ladies say that instead of thank you) then i take it in a positive way. whether i believe in their god or not,they are still saying 'may nice things happen to you.' if its said in a condescending way, then i will tell em to fuck right off. i think personal faith is a wonderful thing, just hateorganised religion, so i dont care if people mention their religion as long as they aren trying to push it on me.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

if its wel meant, what will it hurt,

i like theological discussion tbh, but don't ever try to force your beliefs down my throat, i will walk off. rather than loose my temper (i'm one of those that suddenly snaps without warning and with no recollection, last time was 9 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    respond with dolar bless you too

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    if someone says god bless you in a positive way (example: a fair few little old ladies say that instead of thank you) then i take it in a positive way. whether i believe in their god or not,they are still saying 'may nice things happen to you.' if its said in a condescending way, then i will tell em to fuck right off. i think personal faith is a wonderful thing, just hateorganised religion, so i dont care if people mention their religion as long as they aren trying to push it on me.
    I agree with ESM on this.

If the blessing's sincerely meant, I think a "Thank You Very Much" and "Likewise to you" on my part are the best responses I can make.

If it isn't, I'm probably better off ignoring it, and the person who made the remark in the first place, though I'll probably be at least thinking, "Fuck you, Mother's Day and Christmas, too!!!".

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    respond with dolar bless you too
    ive always wanted to tell him, "God can bless me all he fucking wants, but until he blesses me with some money I dont give a shit."

I used to get mad when people said "I'll pray for you!" whenever they found out my on/off spiritual beliefs.

Now its just rather annoying. I realize Christians when they try and convert you are doing it out of a weird kind of kindness. They really believe you will go to hell and want to help you.

As far as blessings like "God Bless you" etc. I don't care. Its taken as a pleasant comment and I wish them well too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

heh...prayer.....of course I could never understand why any christian would want to make a 'psychic' connection with some of the people they pray for

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    I used to get mad when people said "I'll pray for you!" whenever they found out my on/off spiritual beliefs.
    Me too, what an empty gesture. Those are the same folks who have those yellow 'support the troops' ribbons on their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Me too, what an empty gesture. Those are the same folks who have those yellow 'support the troops' ribbons on their cars.
    the funniest shit about those ribbons is that the money doesn't go to any veterans groups, and they are made in China (like most US flags!) People are such fuktards

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by theUnclean
    the funniest shit about those ribbons is that the money doesn't go to any veterans groups, and they are made in China (like most US flags!) People are such fuktards
    what isnt made in china anymore? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by theUnclean
    Tell me about it! I wish I had though of that shit, I'd be lighting cuban cigars with dollar bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    what isnt made in china anymore? lol.
    good old homebrew?

good old homebrew?
    homebrewed beer or homebrew video games? l

wine

wine
    ..i see..why do i get the feeling you know all about that? lol

I tried it

I tried it
    great success or epic fail?

more of a epic success first and then great fail later

more of a epic success first and then great fail later
    i guess thats one of those "i though it was a good idea at the time" things?

+ Reply to Thread