+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scientology-paid cops arrest people for protesting peacefully in Atlanta

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Scientology-paid cops arrest people for protesting peacefully in Atlanta

Look like a ringleader: get arrested and have your personal info given to a murderous cult.

Honk in support of the protest: get cited and harassed.

FREE SPEECH?
    RIGHT TO PROTEST PEACEFULLY AND ASSEMBLE?

Not in this America... and certainly not when the police are on a cult payroll!!!

http://digg.com/odd_stuff/Video_of_R...der_in_Atlanta

FUCK ATLANTA
    FUCK DEKALB PIGS

DIE IN A FIRE

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Default Re: Scientology-paid cops arrest people for protesting peacefully in Atlanta

wtf, how can you arrest some one for peacefully protesting? drivers even got cited for honking. from what the ppl in the video said its not even like a residential area, so that wouldnt be like disturbing the peace or anything. thats just crazy like a fox with rabies.

Default Re: Scientology-paid cops arrest people for protesting peacefully in Atlanta

This is probably one of the worst things those officers and Scientology could have done.

Having watched the whole video now. I'm left pretty sad actually. They did nothing wrong at all. It was a rather quiet peaceful protest. No violence. Just a bunch of nerds in masks protesting Scientology. Its sad : \

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

no surprise there whatsoever. people familiar with environmentalism know all too well the all too often cases of activists arrested for protesting against companies for violating environmental laws. So in other words arresting the innocent people and ignoring the people who are actually committing crimes.

They've even coined a phrase for the phenomenon in regard to cops: Selective Law Enforcement Officers.

One common law used to prosecute demonstrators is called Obstructing a Public Thoroughfare. That is creating a block (with your body) in an area where there is pedestrian and/or motorized traffic. AKA. standing, sitting or walking around, AKA. being able to arrest anyone anywhere on public property for no other reason than their presence.

Another legal loophole is that many cities require people to file for an assembly permit, under the same fuzzy logic that they need to verify that the number of people gathered meets the standards of the fire and public safety code. Of course any spontaneous group of people getting together, even if they are in compliance with the fire and public safety codes, would be lacking such a permit, and so is subject to arrest.

I remember very clearly an interview with my city's chief of police discussing that policy. the interviewer asked him if such a policy (that puts a restriction on public assembly) is in violation of the US Constitution's first amendment guarantees. He replied, "It may be (unconstitutional), but it's the law and we have to [sic] enforce it."

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I've been watching a bit of this 'geek' movement against Scientology and to be honest, it's not really coming across as very sympathetic. They kind of look like they are just harassing people for their chosen faith and then shouting victim all over every social bookmarking web2.0 site they can get their hands on. Obviously, I'm all for free assembly, but protesting a church seems a little outside the realm of cool to me.

They're protesting the murders, black listing, intense harassment and lawyer blocking thats used against anyone who brings these topics up against the church. They're also protesting against the way the "church" uses classic cult tactics to indoctrinate people, ruin families, and steal their money. I'm a very open man when it comes to religion but this is nothing but a horrible fraud that hurts people. Your faith should not cost you your livelihood and life.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i always have trouble wth scientology on that point... they do a lot of crazy, unfair and unsafe stuff that i find disgusting, but in the end i dont feel comfortable condemning a religion, even if the higher ups are only using it for their own ends. afer all, which religions arent?

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    which religions arent?
    fuck em all, and let God sort em out.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    ..the way the "church" uses classic cult tactics to indoctrinate people...
    There isn't a religion around that hasn't had the same charges leveled against it. Like I said, I wholly support people's right to assemble, but personally, I think we have much much bigger problems people should be rallying in the streets about. I kind of feel like protesting a church is kind of lame and one wonders what forces are behind organizing hapless young dupes into advancing this agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    There isn't a religion around that hasn't had the same charges leveled against it. Like I said, I wholly support people's right to assemble, but personally, I think we have much much bigger problems people should be rallying in the streets about. I kind of feel like protesting a church is kind of lame and one wonders what forces are behind organizing hapless young dupes into advancing this agenda.
    Because said church has put litigation up against YouTube, Google, and other companies to make sure that the only info put up about that church has been approved by said church itself. They go to great lengths to sue anyone they feel is running information around they don't want people to know about.

They're also a murderous brainwashing cult, who managed to wangle a sweet deal where the government basically waived a bunch of taxes and penalties they were assessed.

They've also infiltrated several police departments as well as the FBI. In this day and age, that's a security threat of the first order.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    They go to great lengths to sue anyone they feel is running information around they don't want people to know about...
    Gosh, BP, thanks for bringing that here then.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yep, those scientologists do seem to attract a lot of attention......oh well, everyones gotta have a hobby

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

#1 I'm pretty sure we are supposed to be guaranteed freedom of religion in this country.

#2 I'm pretty sure we are supposed to be guaranteed the right to peaceable assembly in this country.

#3 Why is it becoming hip to protest someone else's faith? Is it because they are endangering the profits of the pharmaceutical industry? Referring to a member of a religion having infiltrated the police really smacks of turn of the century prejudice where people were worried about the Jews and the Irish infiltrating "respectable" organizations. Next year, should be graduate to gassing Scientologists or maybe just putting up signs saying "No Dogs, No Scientologists" in restaurants?

#4 In what way is Scientology a "murderous" religion, as opposed to any other?

#5 Georgia is one of the most oppressive places in America. I lived there for a year and a half, a difficult year and a half, and I've lived all over, so I think I'm able to reasonably judge this.

#6 Saying she has no leader because the protesters all are "anonymous" is either poor use of the English language or just ignorant and cowardly or both.

#7 Did the Atlanta protesters apply for a permit?

#8 The same people in our community who wring their hands about the Scientologist threat to America will support the extreme right wing co-option of their own direct culture by companies like Hot Topic and 3Jane/************.

Gosh, BP, thanks for bringing that here then.
    No, to register on their radar, YOU have to be actively promoting stuff against em. Me posting this here, well, if they complain, simply yank it.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    #1 I'm pretty sure we are supposed to be guaranteed freedom of religion in this country.

#2 I'm pretty sure we are supposed to be guaranteed the right to peaceable assembly in this country.

#3 Why is it becoming hip to protest someone else's faith? Is it because they are endangering the profits of the pharmaceutical industry? Referring to a member of a religion having infiltrated the police really smacks of turn of the century prejudice where people were worried about the Jews and the Irish infiltrating "respectable" organizations. Next year, should be graduate to gassing Scientologists or maybe just putting up signs saying "No Dogs, No Scientologists" in restaurants?

#4 In what way is Scientology a "murderous" religion, as opposed to any other?

#5 Georgia is one of the most oppressive places in America. I lived there for a year and a half, a difficult year and a half, and I've lived all over, so I think I'm able to reasonably judge this.

#6 Saying she has no leader because the protesters all are "anonymous" is either poor use of the English language or just ignorant and cowardly or both.

#7 Did the Atlanta protesters apply for a permit?

#8 The same people in our community who wring their hands about the Scientologist threat to America will support the extreme right wing co-option of their own direct culture by companies like Hot Topic and 3Jane/************.
    #8: Yeah fuck those people. Fucking oppressive govt hugging basturds as well. Let the scientologists have their fairy tales. Ain't our job to disillusion the daydream believers

OEC

No, to register on their radar, YOU have to be actively promoting stuff against em. Me posting this here, well, if they complain, simply yank it.
    I think you should be responsible for your own words and actions, so I'll just send you the legal bill, rather than cave in to any pressures you have exposed us to. That is ok, right?

I think you should be responsible for your own words and actions, so I'll just send you the legal bill, rather than cave in to any pressures you have exposed us to. That is ok, right?
    You're THAT concerned the DeKalb police department will sue you?

And I'll make you a deal. Should you get any legal static, PM me, and I'll contact them directly, ccing you on the correspondance, and point out that you are not responsible for my words. Deal?

cate's Avatar Junior Member

Wow....this is why I get into bar fights....religious talk he he he

Seriously, Forrest, if they went after everyone who linked to a news story, they'd run out of cash quick.

They've found out quite recently that if they push the issue far too much, nasty things come to light. Their $350,000 upper echelon books were put into public record as a result of one trial and as a result available for a nominal fee (reproduction costs) to anyone who asks. Should you get any actual static, bow out and you and I will co-ordinate it that they come after me directly, K?

Quote Originally Posted by cate
    Wow....this is why I get into bar fights....religious talk he he he
    you get in bar fights with scientologists? or any religious person? lol

personally im not really a fan of any organized religion. but i wouldnt criticize some one because of their beliefs. now if those above said activities are true- murders, harassment, stealing of money, etc. then thats just wrong. but they wouldnt be the first church to have done wrong.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

You're THAT concerned the DeKalb police department will sue you?

And I'll make you a deal. Should you get any legal static, PM me, and I'll contact them directly, ccing you on the correspondance, and point out that you are not responsible for my words. Deal?
    You were talking about litigation with the DeKalb PD as the plaintiff and not the Church of Scientology?

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    You were talking about litigation with the DeKalb PD as the plaintiff and not the Church of Scientology?
    I'm saying either way, whoever, send them my way.

I honestly really wouldn't worry about this.

well, damn. Ima gonna be disappointedly if the Scientologists DON'T come on here now and try to shut us down.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Give it time mate. Give it time

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    well, damn. Ima gonna be disappointedly if the Scientologists DON'T come on here now and try to shut us down.
    you were ready to use that strong pimp hand?

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

i belive in freedom of speach. but i do belive the scientologists really do need to go live on thier own private island somewhere and not bother anyone else.

from what i have seen of thier tactics they break a fair few personal liberties and thier trying to get recoignised as a religeon over here.

personaly i feel the urge to express my right and say fook off. i've seen the damaged refugees of cults (an ex GF had pearents who had gone over to a cult and fled, she was more unstable than a friend who did a few years in a max security asylum)

+ Reply to Thread