+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great, I've turned into one of those people that complains about medical shit...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Great, I've turned into one of those people that complains about medical shit...

So, I kind of failed my MRI today. One of the problems with a sternoclavicular dislocation or sprain of the variety I appear to have is that it's unbearably painful to lay down, particularly on one's back. So, I just couldn't lay on the MRI bed. After about a minute, I was in agony and I could feel my clavicle dislocating and the herniated disc in my spine swelling painfully from the unnatural displacement. There was no way in the world I was going to last an hour under that machine. The machine didn't really scare me, but feeling my clavicle pulling out of it's place in my sternum was more than I could really take. I really kind of feel like I would have left a lot more broken than I was when I arrived.

Unfortunately, I think I probably need to find a new doctor as well. I think my current doctor is awesome and really great and I've been with him for a long time, but he's just gotten way over worked and he doesn't spend the time on things he should. His staff has gotten crazy defensive and really irritable. You can't correct them or remind them of anything such as a reminder that the pharmacy says they haven't called in the prescription for the fourth time without them getting kind of agro, but I've barely been able to lay down for over a month. And yeah, they even fucked up calling in my prescription so I had nothing from them for the pain over this easter weekend.

Bleh... Doctor Forrest thinks he's going to try to take care of himself a bit more on this one, not that my friends haven't been super awesome too, but the medical folks just are mot playing up to par. So, figure of eight splint for a few weeks at least. Limited or no lifting things with my right hand. Physical therapy appointments to learn what exorcises I can safely do with my right arm to not lose all strength and also not disrupt healing. Set up a sort of comfortable arrangement to sleep sitting up, and maybe pester the other doctor for one more round of anti-inflammatory meds.

Default Re: Great, I've turned into one of those people that complains about medical shit...

Oh god yikes. You have my empathy pain Forrest. Do you think they could drug you up on some serious pain killers? Perhaps even under go full anesthesia. Maybe then you could survive the mri.

Feel better man.

Default Re: Great, I've turned into one of those people that complains about medical shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Oh god yikes. You have my empathy pain Forrest. Do you think they could drug you up on some serious pain killers? Perhaps even under go full anesthesia. Maybe then you could survive the mri.

Feel better man.
    Thanks. Yeah, potentially they could and I actually could have gone back in today after going and getting some meds. They even offered sleeping pills (which really wouldn't have mixed well with the painkillers), but my fear was that if the dislocation was pulling open, the test might do a lot more harm than good.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Get well soon Forrest.

So sorry. I know what that all is and know that the pain is..well..the kind of pain that is well beyond description.

I also know the doctor situation; so many take on just too many patients because they need a steady flow of income to pay for their staff, services and insurance and end up so overworked. I loved the last regular doctor I had--I never had bad care from him and always got the proper tests, diagnosis and such--but they last year I was with him he got so overstretched that some of the follow up appointments were actually done on the phone.

Take care.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Hope you feel better and have a good long term recovery as well. I would agree: you should start looking into new physicians. It really can make a difference. I can see you are highly motivated so ... my best. I know it can be frustrating as hell knowing you aren't getting the best care. I have no doubt you will find it.

OEC

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

Hope you feel better soon. I had a herniated disk on my lower spine, made my left leg very painful, felt like I was being stabbed in my spine when I walked. Surgery finally had to be done. Hope you find a better doctor that will take better care of you.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Did you see that episode of robot chicken where the robot is slamming the guy down on the table repeatedly? I totally pictured you there.

joint and spine injuries are really shitty. sucks to hear about that.

I think the only people that don't complain about medical shit are the one's lucky enough to not have to deal with it.

My husband and I are both chronic pain sufferers. I know all the perils of the over worked dr as well as the unsympathetic drs.
    Finding a GOOD dr is extremely difficult.
    And PAIN is something one feels that cant be registered on a chart, or test of any kind. Its something that if it COULD be measured, it affects each person differently. Some are more tender, and some are more stoic.

My heart goes out to you Forrest.
    Anti inflammatory meds have more risks and side effects than the opiates. But the opiates come with a gorilla.

So its like, one one hand, if I take the anti-inflams then I put my vital organs at risk.... and on the other the opiates work, but when I run out.... then the pain itself is worse, accompanied with rebound pain and sensitivity plus withdrawal.
    Which is worse than any sickness virus or flu ever.

AND if narcotics are needed, finding a DR to write them or in necessary amounts to kill the pain or at least dull it sufficently is another hurdle to tackle.

My heart goes out to you.

sinderella's Avatar Member

Hope that it eases for you soon

I suffer myself and there are some days that you just feel like screaming!

Positive vibes coming your way

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Glad you were finally able to find a place where you could sit upright for the MRI. Update?

Well, today has been kind of crap. The medrol steroid medication really helped me out a ton and almost had me feeling back to normal, for the most part. I could even lay down to sleep, which was awesome. I'd wake up in a bit of pain, but it sure beat sleeping sitting up on the couch. The second round of those meds really helped me at a good time too. The trip up to Portland was way more doable than I had expected. Even as recently as yesterday, I was doing pretty well. A little loss of feeling, mildly decreased muscle control in my right hand, a bit of numbness from time to time, but well within the manageable range. However, now the positive effects of the medrol seem to have abruptly worn off or something and today I feel like something has literally been ripping my right arm off for the last ten or so hours. Debilitating, mind crushing pain. It's seriously like walking torture. A hand full of Darvocet and some diazapam as well and I'm still doubled over in waves of agony. And yeah, typing left handed is pretty tricky too. I wish I could just feed my right arm to a fucking alligator and just get it over with, but since it's really a severely pinched nerve in my spine under the herniated disks, I'm not even sure that would work. Maybe I could just put my head in a jar like Futurama.

It really did seem like it was getting much better, but I guess the steroids were masking the problem. I really don't want to have to be on them for the rest of my life, but the crazy experimental surgery they described really honestly creeped me out (That's another post I'm working on all together.) Bleh. Meanwhile I have SO much work I need to get done it isn't even funny.

I debated putting this image up. It feels oddly intimate in a weird way, but then again, it's something part of me kind of wants to share.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Well, today has been kind of crap. The medrol steroid medication really helped me out a ton and almost had me feeling back to normal, for the most part. I could even lay down to sleep, which was awesome. I'd wake up in a bit of pain, but it sure beat sleeping sitting up on the couch. The second round of those meds really helped me at a good time too. The trip up to Portland was way more doable than I had expected. Even as recently as yesterday, I was doing pretty well. A little loss of feeling, mildly decreased muscle control in my right hand, a bit of numbness from time to time, but well within the manageable range. However, now the positive effects of the medrol seem to have abruptly worn off or something and today I feel like something has literally been ripping my right arm off for the last ten or so hours. Debilitating, mind crushing pain. It's seriously like walking torture. A hand full of Darvocet and some diazapam as well and I'm still doubled over in waves of agony. And yeah, typing left handed is pretty tricky too. I wish I could just feed my right arm to a fucking alligator and just get it over with, but since it's really a severely pinched nerve in my spine under the herniated disks, I'm not even sure that would work. Maybe I could just put my head in a jar like Futurama.

It really did seem like it was getting much better, but I guess the steroids were masking the problem. I really don't want to have to be on them for the rest of my life, but the crazy experimental surgery they described really honestly creeped me out (That's another post I'm working on all together.) Bleh. Meanwhile I have SO much work I need to get done it isn't even funny.

I debated putting this image up. It feels oddly intimate in a weird way, but then again, it's something part of me kind of wants to share.

That looks so so ouchy. And you know I'd normally never say this, but work can wait. *hugs*

Jeez, I had hoped/wished things were getting better. I'm so sorry to hear you're still in so much pain.
    I guess I'll have to increase the amount of small animals I've been sacrificing to the dark lord in hopes you'll feel better soon. Maybe move up to small children...don't worry. I'll only use the bratty ones.
    But seriously I hope you get well soon.
    btw you have the sexiest brain stem and cerebellum I've ever seen.

I've been all thru the steroid packs, and the steroid shots...probs is, they'll make you feel better, and you'll go back to normal... sorta...
    and you can actually further injure yourself worse.

Darvocet? Puhlease. Those arent good for you at all.
    They're an artificial opiate that can trigger seizures.
    BUT they have an ingredient in them that if you take too many....it makes ya throw up.

I hate to say it but see if they'll at least give you some hydrocodone 5/325 (norco's) They have less tylenol... but a bit of narcotic.
    They're a short acting (4-6 hrs) of relief.

They're WAY better for you than the darvocet. and less of a withdrawal if ya get hooked.

((((plus, they suck as a pain killer)))) diazepam (valium) will only make you NOT CARE that your hurting, if you take enough of those... I'd suggest you go easy on those, those have a BAD withdrawal

and the medrol can make your body think that its diabetic... so make sure the dr's check your blood sugar level

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    I...Puhlease...
    I actually really don't particularly like pain killers and I don't take them unless it's really really bad, and even then, I probably take less than a lot of people would, so I'm not that worried about taking too many. Today, it's pretty bad though, so I'm following my doctor's advice.

I know exactly what you mean... and if you can get by without taking many if any... than you're doing great.

IF you pain is chronic... its easier to be stoic in the beginning, but eventually the pain just gets SO LOUD... that a person usually resorts to whatever just for some PEACE.

I'm sending positive energy your way.
    I hate that you're in pain.
    I cant stand to see anyone suffering.

I get aggravated at the dr's ... thats where my puhlease was directed... for the record.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

this sucks.
    I sincerely hope you feel better, my friend. I hurt my back in the same place, but it's not nearly as bad as yours. My heart goes out to you.

Oh man... that sounds light a nightmare. And not a cool, "dress up like zombies for a Blue Blood photo" kinda nightmare.

I won't even pretend to understand what you are going through. Sounds maddening. The only word I would pass on (which you seem to be doing great at) is to be remember to avoid letting 'pain' turn into 'suffering.'
    pain = actual (extreme) discomfort
    suffering = the mentally taxing story loops we torture ourselves with like "Now I can't do ....."

That xray picture is painful to look at. Wishing you a swift recovery and sending a VERY gentle air-hug from afar.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

hope you heal up good. i have nthing thatshappned to me on this scale that i can trully empathise, but shit man, get well soon, its sounds fucking painful

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon
    I won't even pretend to understand what you are going through. Sounds maddening. The only word I would pass on (which you seem to be doing great at) is to be remember to avoid letting 'pain' turn into 'suffering.'
    pain = actual (extreme) discomfort
    suffering = the mentally taxing story loops we torture ourselves with like "Now I can't do ....."
    That is some very excellent advice. To be honest and this may sound a bit perverse, I'm in some regards playing in it. Just sort of taking inventory of the experience and using it as a platform to exercise mental pain management techniques. Who knows, I may come out much harder to torture, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    hope you heal up good. i have nthing thatshappned to me on this scale that i can trully empathise, but shit man, get well soon, its sounds fucking painful
    Thank you so much. Yeah, it's a drag, and like Halcyon pointed out, there is the potential to let it take over, but I'm sure I'll get through one way or another. Thanks for the well wishes and stuff.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

The closest thing like that theat has happened to me is dislocating my knee, and I thought that was bad... get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    That is some very excellent advice. To be honest and this may sound a bit perverse, I'm in some regards playing in it. Just sort of taking inventory of the experience and using it as a platform to exercise mental pain management techniques. Who knows, I may come out much harder to torture, hahaha.

Awesome! I'm going to tell you all my secrets and drop you behind enemy lines.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I have a high pain threshold.
    I slept in a to small sleeping bag, so I was on one side the whole night and cos Im double jointed my shoulder got dislocated and I didnt notice anything other than some numbness, but it took my mum and megan pulling on my arm while I pulled away and twisted to put it back in.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I don't have that exact problem but hanging upside down helps me a lot....it does relieve a lot pressure on everything

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Will you have surgery? That just looks incredibly painful. Hope you have a full recovery.

OEC

Surgery is the last possible option because the scar tissue is worse USUALLY than the initial cause in the first place.

It sucks...
    Usually with a herniated disk, with rest, it can repair itself.
    BUT operation is the LAST possible solution.

Thanks for caring OEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    I have a high pain threshold.
    I slept in a to small sleeping bag, so I was on one side the whole night and cos Im double jointed my shoulder got dislocated and I didnt notice anything other than some numbness, but it took my mum and megan pulling on my arm while I pulled away and twisted to put it back in.
    I used to until I got fibromyalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Awesome! I'm going to tell you all my secrets and drop you behind enemy lines.
    Haven't you done that already?

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

sounds rough.

how did the original injury occur?

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Forrest,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. My mom had a fairly serious neck injury a few years ago and I know it was really hard on her.

Ulitmately, she found a really good one that was able to fix the problem a few days after first meeting her. I can find out what the name of the doc was. Down side is, it's in MA.

I really hope you're feeling better soon.

Best wishes and take care...

tr

+ Reply to Thread