+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Anti Emo Death Squad"

Default "Anti Emo Death Squad"

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...emo-riots.html

The hell? Beating up emo kids is supposed to be something people joke about, not something so bad it causes riots. It's fucked up that this is happening, and especially so about the homophobic undertones, but at the same time it's kinda cool to see Mexican youth in a different light.

Default Re: "Anti Emo Death Squad"

Wait. What? This is like a Highschool b-movie about cliques. I expect the dweebs and geeks to ascend down on steampunk helicopters any minute.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

How very Quadrophenia.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    How very Quadrophenia.
    It definitely feels like it's out of a different era.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

So only because they associate "Emo" as being homosexual.

Can't people just realize that EVERYONE is differant. And someones prefernces and choices in life is their business. And despite ones choices, everyone needs to be treated as human beings. They're not the ones hurting other people.

In my lifetime I still have a faded glimmer of hope to see more peace and equality in this world.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It really bothers me that anyone with almost any street style that isn't directly associated with urban hip-hop these days is labeled emo. Emo is actually a pretty limited cultural genre, but people into black metal get called emo, punks get called emo, goths, rockers, nearly everybody vaguely cool looking, they all get called emo because emo is so lame and associated with being overly emotional, young, and weak, as well as potentially gay, as mentioned above. There is no political stance for emo, no social cause, and I feel that the label is a direct attack on every one of the other communities.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

hasnt been labeled emo yet... just creepy white guy, but sure it will come. media and pop culture never seeing the forest because of the trees. There will be always people like that...

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    It really bothers me that anyone with almost any street style that isn't directly associated with urban hip-hop these days is labeled emo. Emo is actually a pretty limited cultural genre, but people into black metal get called emo, punks get called emo, goths, rockers, nearly everybody vaguely cool looking, they all get called emo because emo is so lame and associated with being overly emotional, young, and weak, as well as potentially gay, as mentioned above. There is no political stance for emo, no social cause, and I feel that the label is a direct attack on every one of the other communities.
    I've never understand how that came to be. "Emo" used to just be a joking term for an angst aspect of some (primarily) punk bands. It's like they took a joke and made it a sweeping generalization. It would be funny if it did not belittle a lot of stuff I love. It belittles people and their principles. The homophobic undertones are just disguisting.

OEC

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Emo from where I am from was always associated with a very overly emotional, superficial sub pop culture. A friend of mine I think said it best as we were talking about our favorite death metal bands. Black metal and death metal are being labeled as the new emo. I see alot of the emo kids around the area trying to stomach Cradle of filth or Behemoth. I see them sporting metal tee's with studded metal belts. The stigma even if emo fades seems to still linger.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    Emo from where I am from was always associated with a very overly emotional, superficial sub pop culture. A friend of mine I think said it best as we were talking about our favorite death metal bands. Black metal and death metal are being labeled as the new emo. I see alot of the emo kids around the area trying to stomach Cradle of filth or Behemoth. I see them sporting metal tee's with studded metal belts. The stigma even if emo fades seems to still linger.
    Damn that sucks. I feel bad for the black and death metal folks. It ain't my bag, but I've met some cool people who have loved that stuff for years and years. They don't deserve this shit.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    Can't people just realize that EVERYONE is differant. And someones prefernces and choices in life is their business. And despite ones choices, everyone needs to be treated as human beings. They're not the ones hurting other people.
    A-Fucking-Men to that!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh well, no matter what you do, theres always someone out there with nothing better to do than hate you

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Recent events in the UK have shown Mr Karl to be correct. There will always be some one that wants to give you a good kicking, just because you don't fit into their personal view of what is normal.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Well, I fuckin hate chavs, so time to get out there and give some chav a good headstomp.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    So only because they associate "Emo" as being homosexual.

In my lifetime I still have a faded glimmer of hope to see more peace and equality in this world.
    I do agree, but then again, these "emo/scene" kids walk around calling each other "Faggots" themselves. Mostly only seen girls doing it though... i dont understand it.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

its cos the emo kids are trying to convince everyone that they are metal, and one of the preconceptions of a metal thing to do is hate on emos. so, part of the being emo process is hating emos... which is why emos cut themselves. QED

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

not speaking spanish and looking at the news reports......what was the deal with the hare krishnas?

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    oh well, no matter what you do, theres always someone out there with nothing better to do than hate you
    damn straight.

human beings are just ridiculous. i am one of them and i still say it. lol

Yeah, no doubt. While I certainly will never ascribe myself the grandeur in the quote below, I do know I feel one of hell of a lot better when I am hated for all the right reasons. Hominids bleh.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Creepshow
    damn straight.

human beings are just ridiculous. i am one of them and i still say it. lol
    I just see 90% of it as a theater of the absurd. At times, I just have to step back when I catch myself playing.

OEC

not speaking spanish and looking at the news reports......what was the deal with the hare krishnas?
    They got there to calm everyone down and it actually worked!

They say it's about homosexuality, when in reality it's because subcultures feel emo is taking what they claimed as theirs and making it mainstream. That's the deal with subcultures in Mexico. They *really* are underground. You will not see any goth/metal/punk band get a major record deal, or anything get major exposure.
    Emo became huge, and they suddenly took over. I saw it happen at this market place where most people get their alternative clothes/music and anything related to their scene. It went from having many stands dedicated to goth/metal/punk/reggae etc. to being flooded with pink clothes, cute skulls and things of the like. Then all the emos started going there, and everyone else started avoiding it.
    Then again, it's not everyone. It seems the media has started blaming the attacks on punks and goths when it hasnt been the case. Goths stood up for emos, saying they werent involved, even if they disagree with what emo is. Punks in Mexico are against discrimination in any form. If they beat up someone, they'll take on the Nazi youth over there.
    Metalheads might've been involved in more than one occasion, but I heard most of the attacks were started by "cholos" which are the ignorant, gangster type.

This was just blown out of proportion by the media. I laughed it off. Sure, I disagree with what the poor emo kids are being put through, but the whole thing is ridiculous and wont get too serious.

Wynden Nightshade's Avatar Zombie Killer in Training

Emo?? Isn't that a large land bird?? Oh...wait that's Emu...

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I just see 90% of it as a theater of the absurd. At times, I just have to step back when I catch myself playing.

OEC
    That is the whole mainstream emo movement. Puts a whole damper on everything. One would hope emo would pass into the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    That is the whole mainstream emo movement. Puts a whole damper on everything. One would hope emo would pass into the wind.
    The absurd aspects of human existence will live long after emo dies. The death of emo would be a step in the right direction, however.

OEC

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

The krishnas arrive to spread some peace and they were the reason the emos and the punks and goths left. No one was injured.

A friend of mine is organisig a forum for anyone in any urban tribe to speak their mind, and to explain their stands, so that everybody else can understand better and hopefully it will help minimize the hatered betwen tribes, and stop the agression just because "everybody else is doing it".

There is a lot of hypcrisy in this acts, specially because if you go to a rave in most of the cities you´ll find goths, punks, hippies and emos, talking to each other and the fights only start when someone it´s way to drunk and does something stupid, otherwise the guy next to you will help you up if you accidentally fall or something.

A lot of people are doing the hate-an-emo thing just because it´s "in"

+ Reply to Thread