+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: My House ... My House ... My House Was On Fire

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default My House ... My House ... My House Was On Fire

So: My genius former housemate seems to have decided to leave a smoldering cigarette/mary j or God knows what in his room. When I first smelled it, I was so accustomed to the scents I reckoned they were smoking.

Then the smoke. All over. I found myself jumping through flames with one of my cat (the other was saved by the firemen). My place is ruined. Luckily, I seem to have mostly just lost clothes and an assortment of papers (which will be a major pain to reacquire ... warranties and other important documents). I say in a hospital bed for several hours hooked up to this, that, and the other. I'm apparently ok.

Just really fucking pissed. How do you reconcile others stupidity? I'm going back to law school. It's not like I can beat his ass. Ugh, this is such a set back in terms of stuff I was making progress on. Sites, my writings, the room, the wine cellar. All gone or on hold. I am glad to be alive. I was drifting off to sleep. It looks like I'll have to move at least temporarily (and probably for good).

Grrrrr.

OEC

sickybuaaaaa's Avatar Mistress of asskickery

Default Re: My House ... My House ... My House Was On Fire

Damn. Sad to hear what happened to you. Hopefully you get back on your feet soon

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Holy fuck, but that sucks hugely. Thank goodness you seem to be more or less okay yourself, but how awful. Losing stuff you created like writings is hard. Much sympathy.

Good thing you and your cats made it out all right. Can you sue the firestarter if you can't beat his ass?

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    Good thing you and your cats made it out all right. Can you sue the firestarter if you can't beat his ass?
    Thanks to all three of you for the well wishes. I could sue him. Unfortunately, he basically has nothing to sue for at this point. The overall legal situation is murky (insurance, safety, etc)

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Holy fuck, but that sucks hugely. Thank goodness you seem to be more or less okay yourself, but how awful. Losing stuff you created like writings is hard. Much sympathy.
    Yeah. The lost writing and documents are really what hurt. Clothes etc aren't that important. Thanks for the well wishes. It was definitely a new experience going hero boy with a little grey cat. They were screaming for me to get out. No way I leave her. I took in some smoke. I was checked thoroughly for C. Monoxide, blood plasma, oxygenation etc.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by sickybuaaaaa
    Damn. Sad to hear what happened to you. Hopefully you get back on your feet soon
    I'm fine financially. It's just a bummer suddenly having to find a new place.

OEC

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I sorry to hear about the fire. It's one reason I would never allow smoking in my place. Too much paper (comics, books) as well as valuable clothing. I'd be gutted if it happened to me.
    Glad to see you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I sorry to hear about the fire. It's one reason I would never allow smoking in my place. Too much paper (comics, books) as well as valuable clothing. I'd be gutted if it happened to me.
    Glad to see you're ok.
    Yeah I hear that. I got lucky with the electronic stuff. Must have lost Several K in clothes and other items. It's the writing/papers that suck. It doesn't bother me that much losing material stuff.

OEC

Man, shit. I'm glad to hear you and your cats are fine, definitely the most important thing. As far as the lost paper...don't you have some back-ups on your hard drive? Probably not warranties, however...that's got to be frustrating. Things can only get better from here, though, right?

Man, yeah happy your babies got out. Not a whole lot you can do because of your roommates stupidity. I'd say sue him for all your damaged/lost goods at least.

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about all that and I'm glad you and the cats are ok.

Now, what can we do to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    Man, shit. I'm glad to hear you and your cats are fine, definitely the most important thing. As far as the lost paper...don't you have some back-ups on your hard drive? Probably not warranties, however...that's got to be frustrating. Things can only get better from here, though, right?
    True. I feel ok overall. The papers were such that I needed paper copies (official transcripts etc) also writing in notebooks I never put up on the comp.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by tatum radcliffe
    I'm sorry to hear about all that and I'm glad you and the cats are ok.

Now, what can we do to help?
    Thanks I don't need any help other than getting out the anger. I'm fine in terms of cash etc. It's just going to be a major inconvenience this month.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Man, yeah happy your babies got out. Not a whole lot you can do because of your roommates stupidity. I'd say sue him for all your damaged/lost goods at least.
    Thanks I'd be garnishing wages at this point though. It remains to be seen what actually will be done in terms of insurance, etc.

OEC

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

that sux dude but least ur ok and so are the cats

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

We left a candle burning once that burnt down our bathroom and half of our bedroom..911 didn't even answer..but they called back.I know it sucks ):
    Sorry to hear, but glad you're okay, and I can assure he will never do that again, I am so anal about the heaters and everything now. But yeah I would be pretty pissed too

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Sad, thats a really scary situation to be in. But, at least you and your kitty are alright.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

OEC sorry hear about this and your writing. But seem to me your not so easy stopped. You will have it all back soon enough grander than before. look on the brighter side of things your alright and cats...next roommate will not smoke...

tragedy one day.... greatness the next... only time will tell

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I just saw this. OEC, glad you're alive, mate.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Like everyone else has said, I'm glad you're okay! How frustrating it must be, though. You do seem like a person who will bounce back stronger from this, though. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by funkatron
    Like everyone else has said, I'm glad you're okay! How frustrating it must be, though. You do seem like a person who will bounce back stronger from this, though. Good luck!
    Thanks I'm doing fine. It was surreal. I think it puts things into perspective though too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus88
    OEC sorry hear about this and your writing. But seem to me your not so easy stopped. You will have it all back soon enough grander than before. look on the brighter side of things your alright and cats...next roommate will not smoke...

tragedy one day.... greatness the next... only time will tell
    Thanks It definitely will not deter me from anything. Even forced new starts can be good for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I just saw this. OEC, glad you're alive, mate.
    Thanks Was a wild experience.

Glad you and your cats are okay OEC, I can't imagine how rough that must be, losing art is a major bummer. I can't stand smoking in any house for the smell alone nevermind the ignorance possibility of leaving a cigarette lying around still lit :-(. I hope this sudden move somehow brings about some positive change.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

wow, sorry to hear that. luckily you and your pets are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse
    Glad you and your cats are okay OEC, I can't imagine how rough that must be, losing art is a major bummer. I can't stand smoking in any house for the smell alone nevermind the ignorance possibility of leaving a cigarette lying around still lit :-(. I hope this sudden move somehow brings about some positive change.
    Thanks. It's my responsibility to make that a reality. Incidents like this are like a huge splash of cold water. Once you lose the frazzled nerves, you gain clarity on exactly what needs to be done. The anger towards my old housemate is starting to fade. I'm neither an atheist or believer, I think sometimes things happen just to force change. It isn't pleasant mind you. You think back on a lot of shit. Losing a home is not a fun experience.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    wow, sorry to hear that. luckily you and your pets are ok.
    Thanks. I jumped through flames with the cat in my avatar. I have to thank Minneapols FD for my second one. I thought she was gone.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, nothing quite like waking up and briefly wondering why it's so bright...

hope you've got a decent place to stay until it all gets sorted..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    yeah, nothing quite like waking up and briefly wondering why it's so bright...

hope you've got a decent place to stay until it all gets sorted..
    Good on that front. Luckily, I was drifting off to sleep with my pants and had my wallet in them. I secured an apartment for next week. I'm just staying at a motel until then. It's taking extra time as I basically lost all financial etc documentation. 10 days is pretty good though all things considered. We squatted the upstairs of the house for a few days. Was kind of nostalgic.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    Thanks. I jumped through flames with the cat in my avatar. I have to thank Minneapols FD for my second one. I thought she was gone.

OEC
    i guess emergency personnel were quick to respond? perhaps you can find some sort of inspiration from this for your art and what not?

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    i guess emergency personnel were quick to respond? perhaps you can find some sort of inspiration from this for your art and what not?
    Had to have been quick. I had time to get one cat. The brevity of the situation took maybe 5 minutes to go from a smoldering smell to possible tragedy. I had maybe 3 minutes to get the cat before they started screaming for me to get out. My housemate called when it still seemed minor. (Should mention I had more than one, We had a 4 level mansion. I'm guessing the guy whose room it started in had smoked out and left) They arrived at the house within 7 minutes at a maximum. I'll definitely do something to show appreciation for that.

I think it will come out symbolically more than literally. You're running on pure adrenalin. It happens really fast.

OEC

Had to have been quick. I had time to get one cat. The brevity of the situation took maybe 5 minutes to go from a smoldering smell to possible tragedy. I had maybe 3 minutes to get the cat before they started screaming for me to get out. My housemate called when it still seemed minor. (Should mention I had more than one, We had a 4 level mansion. I'm guessing the guy whose room it started in had smoked out and left) They arrived at the house within 7 minutes at a maximum. I'll definitely do something to show appreciation for that.

I think it will come out symbolically more than literally. You're running on pure adrenalin. It happens really fast.

OEC
    i've never been in that situation but i imagine its just like instinctive.. like grab what you need and get the fuck out, i guess

sinderella's Avatar Member

So glad that you and the kitties are ok

I hope that your situation becomes settled very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sinderella
    So glad that you and the kitties are ok

I hope that your situation becomes settled very soon.
    Found a pretty good place in Saint Paul. May end up just staying there. Ironic as my family first immigrated to there.

OEC

sinderella's Avatar Member

Found a pretty good place in Saint Paul. May end up just staying there. Ironic as my family first immigrated to there.

OEC

Thanks for the update

Look after yourself and those lovely kitties

Keep us informed, I know how hard it is to lose a home and be homeless or be dependent on others. Its good that you have your kitties in tow and all of you are safe (so I'd reckon)

(I'm allowed to say reckon... I'm from Ky)

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

And I hope our candles flicker and die
    So that our hearts don't burn to the ground
    Down, down
    Just like Jackie's house

MG is that a quote to a song? Famous or written?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

OEC
    I was just about to post asking how you were doing. Sometimes irony is comfy.

+ Reply to Thread