+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are your favorite books/series?

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Default What are your favorite books/series?

Coming from an incredibly avid reader of books, I have to ask: what are your favorite books or series (or both)?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: What are your favorite books/series?

Lets see...favourite books...

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett. It's the most hilarious end of the world story ever.

Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes. The most surreal end of world/rebirth story ever.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. It's one of those books that you either feel comfortable in or every page makes you cringe. Some call it facist others call truthful...the one thing I do agree with the book is in it's view of violence. It's just dead on perfect.

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

Neverwhere
    Necronomicon
    American Psycho

shesinparties's Avatar Member

Like being Killed
    The Fatal Skin
    Being and Nothingness
    Choke

Books with the Drow: Drizzt Do'Urden

but the best books are here:

http://blacklibrary.com/index.html

books:
    henry rollins - all
    hubert selby - all
    bret easton ellis - all
    william burroughs - junkie (rad stuff! - you have to read it!)
    truman capote - coldblooded
    cash - authobiogrphy

series:
    alias (jennifer rocks!)
    twin peaks (d.lynch in general!)
    simpsons
    futurama
    friends (yes!)

ross

No matter how much I think I've read, I always realize that there are so many more books out there that I have to read... and many of these are here on these lists! I have read only Neverwhere -- a while ago--, of all the books listed here. I have read "diary" by chuck palahnuik, which I thought was good in a creepy-interesting sort of way. I've his other books & also Robert Heinlein on my to-read list. And I've read "American Gods", but can't remember details about it...

I own "necronomicon" & "naked lunch" and am waiting for a good chunk of school-free time to read them.

The most terrifying book for me would be "The Descent" by Jeff Long, which is about monsters/devils in dark underground tunnels/caves/caverns. It's an interesting read when you're above ground, but when I was reading this book I went on an underground tunnel exploration. I found out that the book had left an impression in my mind after all, especially down in that pitch black tunnel.

Actually I have an Xbox game with Drizzt Do'Urden, it's called Baldur's Gate II I think. Anyone want to play?

Jozie's Avatar Senior Member

Im huge in to true crime, and just can not get enough. Mainly when the book is either written by a woman, or about one. I just finished reading Murderous Woman by Frank Jones, great book for what it is.

I just started back into a book called 'Paul Martin: CEO for Canada', interesting to say the least.

Ill play if I get to visit there *Winks*

BMB's Avatar Member

For right now, A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man, James Joyce. It's more about an internal journey as opposed to your typical narrative. Good vs. Evil, indulgence vs. abstenance, knowledge vs. acceptance. It wasn't what I quite expected when I picked it up - I just knew that with my Irish heritage I better get my butt in gear and read some Joyce. But for anyone looking for a great study on man/religion/truth/etc, a must read.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage

Actually I have an Xbox game with Drizzt Do'Urden, it's called Baldur's Gate II I think. Anyone want to play?
    Depends is there a midget with a large Axe in the game? Cause really every game should have one.

What did you think of The Black Library?

Their books are either amazing, or suck horribly

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

Series:

Law and Order
    Law and Order: SVU
    Simpsons
    Family Guy
    Queer as Folk

The Hobbit, Lord Of The Rings, and similar stories and series...

I only was able to take a glance at the black library, and found a couple of interesting sounding books. Unfortunately I was in the middle of final exams and was pressed to study, so hence didn't really peruse the site like I wanted. I will look at it more this coming week though while I'm on "vacation".

Baldur's Gate I thought was fun. There is a character that uses massive weapons, such as a "Great Axe", which I played, and it was really awesome. You just wade into lots of monsters and hack away, it's somewhat cathartic As for midgets, do you mean the dwarf character? I think there was one... I played one once, but I'm not sure which RPG it was...

My fave series are usually offensive, weird, dysfunctional shows like Simpsons, South Park, Malcolm in the Middle, and X-files. Something about everything being fucked up or strange totally makes me laugh.

As for true crime, I've read a couple of books in that genre. But one book I picked up at a friend's house as a teenager kinda made me so depressed (it was about a murderous *********, and it was kinda detailed) that I had to stop reading. To this date I haven't really picked up another true crime book, but I'm sure sometime I will. And it will probably be better for me to pick up a book about a woman...

& I think I have Portrait of a Young Man Etc. in my pile o' books. I've heard it was a classic, and it was deep, so I picked it up. I may have even read it, but I was 20, and I don't remember much of it.... needs a rereading. And, I think being older now, I'll understand more of it.

And, actually, my partner has Henry Rollins on CD, telling stories/giving talks. Are his books similar?

Ultima Online is among the best games, but you have to pay to play that game, and 120$ a year in addition to the 30$ you pay to buy that is not worth it

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Ultima Online is among the best games, but you have to pay to play that game, and 120$ a year in addition to the 30$ you pay to buy that is not worth it
    That game is ancient these days...the only people who play it are the ones who started playing it back in the late 90's...

MMORPG's area mixed bag depending on what one is interested in...

at $10 to $15 a month they are actually not that expensive given the content you are given.

In my opinion, Stewie is the best Character on Family Guy

**** Although I prefer Futurama more

I've heard those $10-$15/month subscriptions are addicting, if you find the right game for you. The downside is that I don't have that much time, and am not sure whether $10-$15 would be completely wasted...

However we feel the urge... we get Gamepro and some other game magazines, and sometimes it kills us by teasing...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    I've heard those $10-$15/month subscriptions are addicting, if you find the right game for you. The downside is that I don't have that much time, and am not sure whether $10-$15 would be completely wasted...

However we feel the urge... we get Gamepro and some other game magazines, and sometimes it kills us by teasing...
    You said "We"...that's really the key to enjoying these games. Having at least one person you know in real life to play with you. This makes such games much more fun and makes them less intimidating. I barely took the plunge seriously myself and I gotta say...I don't know why I never played them sooner. What I THOUGHT they were and what they are...very diffrent things. If you play say...1 hour a day...the monthly average over time is a STEAL for what you pay and what you get. With most $50 games falling WELL below 20 hours of play these days...$10 to $50 for unlimited hours of gaming and social goodness is worth it.

City of Heroes is probably the most newbie friendly and plays more like a traditional beat em up than a hardened RPG...it's simple to pick and play...deep in terms of character creation...and simply FUN.

For the Sci Fi nut...Star Wars Galaxies and Anarchy Online will fit the bill very well. I'm a casual Star Wars fan and have been pleasently surptised by the game and community...very friendly.

Fantasy wise..there are tons. However the most anticipated is this falls World of Warcraft. It looks to be as addictive as crack laced gummie bears mixed with heroin laden sour patch kids. Not only is it a beauty...but geared for non hardcore play so things even out and the game stays fun for ALL involved.

I would seriously check one out...many have free trials and ALL include the first month free.

Gamespot.com has the most detailed info about them along with IGN...if you're an avid or even casual gamer...these games are a nice surprise a lot of the time. It's fun to at least play one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    You said "We"...that's really the key to enjoying these games. Having at least one person you know in real life to play with you. This makes such games much more fun and makes them less intimidating. I barely took the plunge seriously myself and I gotta say...I don't know why I never played them sooner. What I THOUGHT they were and what they are...very diffrent things. If you play say...1 hour a day...the monthly average over time is a STEAL for what you pay and what you get. With most $50 games falling WELL below 20 hours of play these days...$10 to $50 for unlimited hours of gaming and social goodness is worth it.

City of Heroes is probably the most newbie friendly and plays more like a traditional beat em up than a hardened RPG...it's simple to pick and play...deep in terms of character creation...and simply FUN.

For the Sci Fi nut...Star Wars Galaxies and Anarchy Online will fit the bill very well. I'm a casual Star Wars fan and have been pleasently surptised by the game and community...very friendly.

Fantasy wise..there are tons. However the most anticipated is this falls World of Warcraft. It looks to be as addictive as crack laced gummie bears mixed with heroin laden sour patch kids. Not only is it a beauty...but geared for non hardcore play so things even out and the game stays fun for ALL involved.

I would seriously check one out...many have free trials and ALL include the first month free.

Gamespot.com has the most detailed info about them along with IGN...if you're an avid or even casual gamer...these games are a nice surprise a lot of the time. It's fun to at least play one.
    Warhammer Online is supposed to be even better than that, but I dont know for sure. They seem about the same in gameplay and engine wise

eddy's Avatar Junior Member

[B]The Christopher Moor books all of them! notable mentions
    "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove""Practical Demonkeeping "

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

'lo

on the road by jack kerouac has to be my favourite book of all time - i first read it when i was a crunched up boneheap in a hospital bed. it's good to see a nice big hoorah for junkie by burroughs too i read soft machine first, but junkie kicks its ass.

i would also advise anyone to read ' the life and loves of a she devil' by fay weldon - the dumb ass film with rosanne barr does not do it one iota of justice.

I didn't realise there were so many online games out - i play runescape which is only three quid a month and i enjoy it. theres a free version too, but the world is only half the size...

erm, yeah and what do you class as a series? cause some people don't regard stuff like jam and the day today as they only ran for 6 episodes but they are amazing. also check out brass eye. and spaced. and bo selecta.

i'll probably update this with a thousand other things

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

thats a hard question to answer. I love everything. I will read the back of a cereal box if I had nothing else Actually I just got through reading most of Dan Browns stuff, the Davinci code was the best out of all his books. I like a lot of non-fiction, esp unsolved crimes and serial murders. I am interested in the Black Dahlia murder, Jack the Ripper, Lizzie Borden, mostly very old cases. I like anything with supernatural or paranormal themes. Vampire books, I think I have a bookcase alone on those. Horror, autobiographies, the list goes on and on..

I read "On the Road" twice, once in high school and once again for a writing class. I liked it but I did not like the way Mr. Kerouac portrayed women in this book. I felt as if they were mainly portrayed as [sexual] objects, not equal travelling/spiritual/philosophical companions. But I may be wrong since it's been six years since I've read him. However I really liked the descriptions of adventure, life, and maturing.

I have to say I am so lucky to be with someone who enjoys gaming, among other things. We have plundered our way through several Xbox RPGs and are waiting for more-- such as Fable and Thief. He is anxious for me to teach him Magic, however we haven't really had the time. Being a gamer alone is... lonely.

I've heard Star Wars Galaxies is addicting from a family friend who spends half her time online. One reason why I'm reluctant to invest in one of these wonderful intriguing worlds is the fact of getting addicted. I've been through Diablo II addiction, Baldur's Gate addiction, and Heroes addiction (until we beat the game-- in multiplayer mode). It's done some ruin on my studies. And I can't really afford a continuous obsession, espcially when I'm trying to raise my GPA.

For me? Series means anything that plays on TV regularly every week. I also meant book series as well. In my eyes, it's open ended.

"The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove"? I really have to know what that's about!

GONESAVAGE check out moores web site
    This guy work is all about the very strange. Plus a lust lizard is just what it sounds like......except the affect is on you. (;

Dr. Suess & Brothers Grimm

+ Reply to Thread